The Meisterstück 149 Calligraphy Appreciation Thread

fpupulin

4 hours ago, Jreugenl said:

This thread is a huge inspiration. Thank you all for your contributions! I now own 2 of these pens. Mostly I use them for drawing. Something I do without so much skill but with much joy :) 

3720A4F5-F5C9-4D2C-8740-0AD0A75BD2A5.thumb.jpeg.e8b39668a04dc9112d6ee5d422eda6a8.jpeg

2225DD9B-1B17-4CF7-A8DA-262AB2612D4B.thumb.jpeg.b821f0597746d10ec69a4a6bc9a5cde0.jpeg

E3025470-89E5-46D6-83B7-EA413B7D1A17.thumb.jpeg.1fe0a704808ef9a931a6046696201312.jpeg

This is a splendid use of the 149 Calligraphy!

I may clearly appreciate that variation in the line width, which allow accentuating the artistic meaning of the strokes and to establish different planes in the artwork , which is the “secret” of the best ink drawings.

Your control over long, uninterrupted lines varying in pressure, is truly remarkable. 

Please post more samples of your art done with the 149 Calligraphy when you would have a chance.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• como

• invisuu

• a student

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, fpupulin said:

This is a splendid use of the 149 Calligraphy!

I may clearly appreciate that variation in the line width, which allow accentuating the artistic meaning of the strokes and to establish different planes in the artwork , which is the “secret” of the best ink drawings.

Your control over long, uninterrupted lines varying in pressure, is truly remarkable. 

Please post more samples of your art done with the 149 Calligraphy when you would have a chance.

Thank you so much for the kind words. Drawing for me is very much a meditative and calming process. The result is less important than the activity itself. And of all my pens the 149C is the most joyful to use.

I should like to add that I use De Atramentis Document ink. Permanent and waterproof. Dries fairly fast. I like it a lot. 

Morning All,

I am an artist, a photographer by trade, a part-time musician at night. Seeing some of the exquisite penmanship in this thread has INSPIRED me.

I've been using fountain pens daily for 30+ years at work, at home making lists, journaling and just for pleasure. Never had the opportunity to try a Montblanc or a pen with a flexible nib. The desire grew to be able to make these shapes and give that kind of life to the letters I write my family and friends. After using stubs, then Italic Cursive stubs it became clear that a flexible nib is what I was after.

I made a foray into the vintage world purchasing a well tuned Pelikan 400 made somewhere between 1950 and '53. It was the right direction but the pen felt a bit small for drawing, the nib flex a bit stiff... for me. I was concerned about the size and weight of the Montblanc but after some time with the Pelikan I thought it was worth the chance that the Montblanc might be exactly what I was looking for... After some help from a few members and a lot of searching I found a Montblanc Calligraphy at an authorized dealer and "took the plunge".

This is the most comfortable pen I've ever had the pleasure to hold. Posted or UN-posted  it is a very comfortable and well balanced instrument! I was really surprised how well it fit my average size hands and how light it feels in the fingers.

It writes with precision from EEF to BB. (I don't see a reason to push line width beyond that at the moment). No issues with snap back. It keeps up with my everyday handwriting at speed in journals with aplomb. I chose Montblanc Royal Blue for the first ink. I have a bottle of permanent Blue to try at a later date.

I have quickly learned that I have to write with my arm and shoulder if I desire the accuracy required of Spencerian or Copperplate letters. It will be a pleasure to put in the hours required to learn with this pen. Replacing old habits with new will take many months... I will enjoy the journey!

Hope you all enjoy your weekends!

Cheers, Nicholas

IMG_4150.jpeg

Cheers - Nicholas

On 10/20/2021 at 8:26 PM, fpupulin said:

My dear friend...

@fpupulin Thank you for your encouraging words. I really like this uppercase script of Spencerian. I've looked at different Spencerian scripts. They can look quite different. Some look more similar to Copperplate. I like this type that the overall looks are more flowy. I didn't know that the same Spencerian can look somewhat different... Another interesting thing about calligraphy.

On 10/20/2021 at 3:37 PM, Jreugenl said:

This thread is a huge inspiration. Thank you all for your contributions! I now own 2 of these pens. Mostly I use them for drawing. Something I do without so much skill but with much joy :) 

@Jreugenl Thank you for sharing your sketches. I am not an artist, but I really like how they look. They look fun and accurate. I got curious and looked up some videos on youtube about cross-hatching. It makes me want to draw with this pen too, except that I can't really draw. I have an artist friend who told me that he uses extra fine fountain pen with some flex to draw. I can understand why you like using MB Calligraphy. It's really a very versatile pen.

2 hours ago, Nick T said:

Morning All,

Cheers, Nicholas

@Nick T Congratulations on your new MB Calligraphy! Whenever I buy a Montblanc new at retail price, I feel guilty. But after using the MB Calligraphy for a few days, the guilt went away. It gets a lot of use, and kicked out a bunch of pens in my collection which, as @fpupulindescribed in his earlier posts, are just "pens with a nib". 😀 In any case, I sold a bunch of pens after buying this one, which more than funded this purchase. Enjoy your MB Calligraphy in good health and good time!

17 hours ago, Nick T said:

Morning All,

I am an artist, a photographer by trade, a part-time musician at night. Seeing some of the exquisite penmanship in this thread has INSPIRED me.

I've been using fountain pens daily for 30+ years at work, at home making lists, journaling and just for pleasure. Never had the opportunity to try a Montblanc or a pen with a flexible nib. The desire grew to be able to make these shapes and give that kind of life to the letters I write my family and friends. After using stubs, then Italic Cursive stubs it became clear that a flexible nib is what I was after.

I made a foray into the vintage world purchasing a well tuned Pelikan 400 made somewhere between 1950 and '53. It was the right direction but the pen felt a bit small for drawing, the nib flex a bit stiff... for me. I was concerned about the size and weight of the Montblanc but after some time with the Pelikan I thought it was worth the chance that the Montblanc might be exactly what I was looking for... After some help from a few members and a lot of searching I found a Montblanc Calligraphy at an authorized dealer and "took the plunge".

This is the most comfortable pen I've ever had the pleasure to hold. Posted or UN-posted  it is a very comfortable and well balanced instrument! I was really surprised how well it fit my average size hands and how light it feels in the fingers.

It writes with precision from EEF to BB. (I don't see a reason to push line width beyond that at the moment). No issues with snap back. It keeps up with my everyday handwriting at speed in journals with aplomb. I chose Montblanc Royal Blue for the first ink. I have a bottle of permanent Blue to try at a later date.

I have quickly learned that I have to write with my arm and shoulder if I desire the accuracy required of Spencerian or Copperplate letters. It will be a pleasure to put in the hours required to learn with this pen. Replacing old habits with new will take many months... I will enjoy the journey!

Cheers, Nicholas

IMG_4150.jpeg

Congrats! Looks great.

On 10/23/2021 at 9:55 AM, Nick T said:

Morning All,

Cheers, Nicholas

IMG_4150.jpeg

Dear Nicholas: what a pleasure to read your note and the fresh enthusiasm with which you described your new purchase.

This is exactly the feeeling that you should have when buying a good pen and using it for the first few times: a beautiful and functional object, which responds to your desires.

Congratulations on the beautiful pen and don't forget to post some photos of your exercises and works, both in calligraphy and in drawing!

17 hours ago, fpupulin said:

Dear Nicholas: what a pleasure to read your note and the fresh enthusiasm with which you described your new purchase.

This is exactly the feeeling that you should have when buying a good pen and using it for the first few times: a beautiful and functional object, which responds to your desires.

Congratulations on the beautiful pen and don't forget to post some photos of your exercises and works, both in calligraphy and in drawing!

@fpupulin Good morning Franco and thank you for your interest and the kind words. I also want to thank you for pointing me in the right direction via PM to find this pen. It was procured from Italy after all...

I'm not sure that anyone here would want to see the exercises I am doing at this early stage. My arm, wrist, hand and fingers are not yet responding in a pleasurable fashion. Perhaps after a few months of daily drills something instructive might present itself that would be useful to the group??

I am working from Michael Sull's books on Cursive Penmanship to lay the foundation and plan to move on to his book on Spencerian Script once the foundation is solid and my muscles respond the way I see in my minds eye. Letter shapes, Cross-Drill and Movement exercises are first.

You are correct is saying this pen can do a little of everything. It is quite the chameleon! So FUN to write with!

Cheers - Nicholas

@fpupulinanother great example of this pen, and your capabilities. Truly inspirational as always. 

@Nick T congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure you will find that the money was very well spent. And please do keep us up to date with your progress :) Learning a new skill as a grown up is not that easy. I myself is in for the ride and care actually less and less about the result. It's the doing by itself that makes it a worthy pursuit. 

Here is another figure drawing I did yesterday. I tried to let the pen use it's expressive talents more than the accurate ones. Leading, it seems, to a more Rubenesque interpretation of the female form. 

RNI-Films-IMG-42380C4E-ABDE-44CE-8ABF-B9D95E67595F.thumb.JPG.4acfc92786e8ed3c651741a437c26127.JPG

@Jreugenl She is exquisite. So much said with so few lines! Thank you so much for sharing. She has made my day!!

And thank you for your kind words. I think learning any skill in life, no matter when, is a joy to be treasured and embraced. I also feel the pursuit and enjoyment of the journey is the end unto itself.

Cheers - Nicholas

Thanks a lot @Nick T and @maclink :) I’m happy you like it. 

I’ll share another drawing with some accompanying writing. I do enjoy writing with this pen a lot. Not at all of the level of @fpupulinof course. But the process is none the less very enjoyable. 

I do think that versatility is the hallmark of this pen. And the main reason why I have two of them.

122C9B33-DBF8-42C7-91D3-FE9745371BC5.thumb.jpeg.17c114bd31cbefdc8a426bc341f6113c.jpeg

Wow @Jreugenl . Another well done drawing. Your penmanship is also great. My wife is an artist and currently in her final year of an art degree course. I know how simple those drawings can seem but how challenging they really are. 

I really like to poke my nose into this thread and find your new ink drawings, Jreugenl! I find them beautiful and very fresh.

They remind me, in fact, of some pen drawings by Picasso from the early 1920s, which are also, as maclink noted, deceptively simple!

Congratulations for your great use of the 149 Calligraphy!

10 hours ago, fpupulin said:

They remind me, in fact, of some pen drawings by Picasso from the early 1920s, which are also, as maclink noted, deceptively simple!

That was my thought upon seeing them as well! 

- P. 

Here I am again with the theme of the "calligraphic eights" to apply to my 149 Calligraphy. Once it was established that Montblanc boutiques cannot engrave the "eights" (I wonder why, since they can reproduce a signature ...), I moved towards the possibility of a small adhesive label.

I sent the design to a local printer and got a quote. The label would be with the gold eights on a black background, so that it does not look like an imitation of the original, with the black eights on a gold background.

These would be die-cut, oval, 12 x 7 mm labels produced in tape. The minimum quantity is 1000 labels (the price for 500 would be the same...), and the cost (I enclose the pro-forma invoice) would be 157 dollars, that is 16 cents of dollar each label.

Now, $ 157 is, for me personally, a bit excessive, and I confess that I don't know what to do with 1000 "eights" labels... However, I thought that if I found another ten or so interested in having 100 labels for $ 16 (plus shipping), or maybe 20 who want only 50 label for $ 8, I could embark on the adventure.

If among the readers of this thread there is anyone interested in the subject, please let me know, to see how we can move forward.

I am also attaching the design of the label and a mockup of the same applied to the barrel of the pen, in order to view its dimensions.

large.1983178840_Otto(tosend).jpg.0ba8527bb818eb839a2fbbfa821e270d.jpg

large.14038978_Smalllabel.jpg.bc5ad00246cb488800621d7121f04703.jpg

large.Proforma.jpg.4181d91cdea7268ba5f6a6c563a63d78.jpg

Sunday, when I can, is a day that I dedicate a little to my pens and writing. If family commitments allow it, it seems to me that I have wasted a Sunday when evening comes and I have not been able to write down at least a few calligraphic lines, even better if during the morning I was able to put together a "little thought" on the making of calligraphy.

Here is what came out this Sunday. I used the trusty 149 Calligraphy with Diamine's Ancient Copper ink, which I had loaded the day before. Among the sheets of the Hahnemühle Ingres paper pad I chose a couple that could go with the ink color and I calligraphed my concept in English, as well as in an Italian, non-literal translation.

Good week everyone.

large.2032377341_Montblanc149CalligraphySundaybestFP.jpg.7a2e3d17c59bb6fc67fb7e02c315744f.jpg

large.1022278381_Montblanc149CalligraphySundaybest(2)FP.jpg.380d2414aa71f3ee6738dc9e2cc42fe1.jpg

3 hours ago, fpupulin said:

Sunday, when I can, is a day that I dedicate a little to my pens and writing........... "snip"

Here is what came out this Sunday....... "snip"

Good week everyone.

large.2032377341_Montblanc149CalligraphySundaybestFP.jpg.7a2e3d17c59bb6fc67fb7e02c315744f.jpg

Beautiful. Thank you!

Cheers - Nicholas

I am looking for a good Calligraphy Alphabet to start with for practice as a beginner. Would be nice to get some recommendations. What I figured out that it is not easy to write historical calligraphy alphabets like the Humanistic Curse, because in the letters are not so much swings like in modern fonts...

Is Copperplate Script a good starting point? How did you practice? Are there good books?

1 hour ago, Jan1985 said:

I am looking for a good Calligraphy Alphabet to start with for practice as a beginner. Would be nice to get some recommendations. What I figured out that it is not easy to write historical calligraphy alphabets like the Humanistic Curse, because in the letters are not so much swings like in modern fonts...

Is Copperplate Script a good starting point? How did you practice? Are there good books?

@Jan1985 I am a beginner and found two books which I think are excellent for those starting out. One is a set; a theory book and 5 copy books. called "Theory of the Spencerian system of practical penmanship. In nine easy lessons published by Mott Media in Michigan.

The other book I found and gravitated to more readily is called, "Learning to write Spencerian script" by Michael R Sull and Debra E Sull. It is copyrighted 1993 and out of print but I found this in stock at a calligraphy shop online. If you would like a link I'm happy to PM you it.

I have been working out of Michael's book on cursive penmanship and like it very much. His book on Spencerian is a natural extension of the first book. The lessons are through and clear AND a lot of work! I highly recommend the books as they start you out with letter forms and some shading. Nothing too complicated or ornate. The flourishes come at the end of the book. I think its the perfect introduction to this art-form as it takes me step by step; I need to walk before I can run.

I looked at many books aimed at beginners - the book by Sull struck me as the best.

I think that once I have the basics and have covered whats in this book, perhaps a year from now, I can start looking at more advanced texts and letter forms.

Cheers - Nicholas