The Meisterstück 149 Calligraphy Appreciation Thread

fpupulin

4 hours ago, jagwap said:

Montblanc has already released a flex no.6 nib, around the same time as the 149 Calligraphy. It is the gold leaf solitaire with.the gold coloured nib.

I asked when the next solitaire is due to arrive, as it is delayed. This is the gold and gradient burgundy solitaire. My local Montblance boutique in Shenzhen said Q1 2022.

Effectively, at the time when the Calligraphy Line was launched , Montblanc also presentesd a 146 Solitary with a Calligraphy nib. It was, however, a medium nib, and I personally am not sure it was a great idea. 
 Wing offered as a nib suitable for calligraphy, most of the styles that requires a flexible nib to attain stroke variation, also requires a very fine tip to execute what is justly called “pointed pen” calligraphy.

I have a couple of modern pens

with fine-medium “flexible” nibs, and their calligraphic use is quite limited. They are fun to use and to write with, but not so suitable for calligraphy.

It maybe that the quite steep price of the Golden Leaf 146 refrained more purchases, but it is a fact that I saw a lot less discussion in the net about the 146 flexible nib.

When I comment about my hope that Montblanc “will do with their No. 6 nib the same wonderful work as their No. 9”,  I am thinking about an extra-fine, flexible nib, hopefully mounted on a not too expensive pen. I am pretty sure that it would sell quickly.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• como

• invisuu

• a student

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/29/2021 at 10:39 AM, agentdaffy007 said:

This pen is very hard to come by. I ordered mine in July 2020 and waited 2 months for it. The 2 buyers that placed the order of fall 2020 still has not received their orders.

I was so lucky that I ordered mine in summer 2020 and it had arrived on today, just before I made up my mind to place order for the 146 Calligraphy which will be available in 2022.

175841817_10159486941414940_7811458580138036378_n.jpeg

Congrats!!

fpupulin, are you not afraid of Montblanc Permanent Black staining your ink window? I read this ink can do that, but I do really want to try it out. How has your experience with it been?

For all the people with the MB 149 Calligraphy, does your cap wiggle when your pen is capped/closed?

Mine wiggles a bit.

Yes. The thread is not that great. Pilot (at least my 823) does this the best from my experience. The pen doesn't dry out, so the thread seals, and that's good enough, I guess.

This of course isn't limited to the caligraphy, but 149 in general.

12 hours ago, invisuu said:

Congrats!!

fpupulin, are you not afraid of Montblanc Permanent Black staining your ink window? I read this ink can do that, but I do really want to try it out. How has your experience with it been?

I have no way used almost constantly the Black Permanet in my Calligraphy for one year, and the ink window is still transparent as it was the first day. 

I refill of  pen two times a month on average, and at any refill I thoroughly clean the barrel and the feeder flushing them with water some twenty times.

12 hours ago, agentdaffy007 said:

For all the people with the MB 149 Calligraphy, does your cap wiggle when your pen is capped/closed?

Mine wiggles a bit.

@agentdaffy007 : It doesn't in the Calligraphy, but it does in my other 149s (these are however over 30 yrs old).

13 hours ago, invisuu said:

Congrats!!

I'm sorry this question was for fpupulin however I thought of chipping in since even I have been using this ink since last 6 months. The ink window remains as transparent as it was when brand new. However, I use the pen daily and clean it thoroughly once a fortnight. Perhaps the most well behaved ink I have used in this pen so far....

Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences & writing--especially to Fpupulin, whose calligraphy has been an ongoing source of delight and inspiration.

I figured I might never myself have a chance to get a hold of 149 flex due to its apparent scarcity, but I was surprised to find it available on the official MB website even though it has been listed as sold out on most of the authorized sellers in the US.

I wasn't entirely convinced the listing wasn't a mistake, but decided to go for it just in case this might be my only chance. Even after paying, I remained somewhat doubtful! 

However a message from Mb has happily indicated that one is now its way to me, and should arrive next week! 

Is the 149 flex becoming less scarce, or did I just choose an extremely lucky moment to visit their site?

(I just checked again and it seems to be sold out already....or perhaps their stock comes and goes frequently? .... or...?).

Am excited that I will finally be able to try it out myself!!

12 hours ago, ljmudit said:

I'm sorry this question was for fpupulin however I thought of chipping in since even I have been using this ink since last 6 months. The ink window remains as transparent as it was when brand new. However, I use the pen daily and clean it thoroughly once a fortnight. Perhaps the most well behaved ink I have used in this pen so far....

Thank you for Shari g your experience. No doubt, cleaning it so frequently, you are taking great care of your Calligraphy,

Now, I do not know if you have ever had a chance to try the Blue Permanent. Of course, it can not substitute black when you want to write with that color, but if you can admit some blue in your writings, the Blue Permanent has all the virtues and none of the defects of Black. It is almost perfect for the Calligraphy, and I can not recommend it enough...

14 hours ago, seimodern said:

[...] I figured I might never myself have a chance to get a hold of 149 flex due to its apparent scarcity, but I was surprised to find it available on the official MB website even though it has been listed as sold out on most of the authorized sellers in the US.

[...] However a message from Mb has happily indicated that one is now its way to me, and should arrive next week! 

[...]

That was a lucky finding, I guess, one of those beautiful cases of being in the right place at the right moment... I also bought my Calligraphy through a similar lucky strike...

Welcome to the group of the fortunate owners of this fantastic pen! And please, do not forget to treat us with some pics of your pen when she will arrive!

I found out that it is normal that the cap wiggles a tiny bit when I purposely push on it while the pen is capped.

As for finding the MB 149 Calligraphy, I too was lucky in summer 2020. Ordered it through my AD with 15% off. Waited a month and got the pen. The buyer after me is still waiting. Imagine that...

As far as I understand, the wiggliness (or lack thereof) of the cap on the Calligraphy isn't related to the fact that it is a 149 Calligraphy -- it uses the same body as the regular 149. To that point:

1. My 70s MB 149 does not.

2. My 2016 MB 149 does not.

3. My first calligraphy does.

4. My second does not.

The luck of the draw! I actually prefer bodies with wiggly caps, since that reduces the circular ring-like wear on the pen body over time.

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)

Is it possible that the wiggliness depends on how tight you close the cap?

The only Meisterstück I have that actually wiggle is the Ultra Black 146, but in this case I guess it depends on the sandblasting of the male threads, while the female of the inner cap are not sandblasted. This create a bit of play between the threads.

13 minutes ago, fpupulin said:

Is it possible that the wiggliness depends on how tight you close the cap?

The only Meisterstück I have that actually wiggle is the Ultra Black 146, but in this case I guess it depends on the sandblasting of the male threads, while the female of the inner cap are not sandblasted. This create a bit of play between the threads.

As far as I can tell, no. I tested for wiggliness when they were new (excluding the 70s MB) by closing them reasonably tightly. There's a definite "stop" where you know you've tightened to the maximum.

As you note the wiggliness seems to happen when the male threads are just "smaller" all the way around.

I looked into getting one of these pens about one month ago. My local Mont Blanc Boutique didn't have one and couldn't order one. I called Fountain Pen Hospital in New York and they said that they had stopped putting people on their waiting list; they had no idea when they would receive any more. I have enjoyed following this thread. It is interesting and educational. Many thanks to fpupulin for starting it, maintaining it, and posting his beautiful work. I took a Spencerian class from Michael Sull at the San Francisco Pen Show in about 2015; we used dip pens. I have great appreciation for the beautiful work displayed on this thread. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

3 hours ago, Frank C said:

I looked into getting one of these pens about one month ago. My local Mont Blanc Boutique didn't have one and couldn't order one. I called Fountain Pen Hospital in New York and they said that they had stopped putting people on their waiting list; they had no idea when they would receive any more. I have enjoyed following this thread. It is interesting and educational. Many thanks to fpupulin for starting it, maintaining it, and posting his beautiful work. I took a Spencerian class from Michael Sull at the San Francisco Pen Show in about 2015; we used dip pens. I have great appreciation for the beautiful work displayed on this thread. 

Gah...that's not good.
Looks like I've missed the boat on getting one of these.
I won't be able to obtain one for at least 2 more years.
Ah well...

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Does anyone know if Montblanc is planning to release a Montblanc 146 with a number 6 sized flexible nib (the same type of nib as on the 149 calligraphy edition)??

3 minutes ago, Pennenut said:

Does anyone know if Montblanc is planning to release a Montblanc 146 with a number 6 sized flexible nib (the same type of nib as on the 149 calligraphy edition)??

It seems unlikely, given they made the metal gold-leaf version with the "flex" no. 6 nib, which admittedly wasn't really flexy like that of the 149.