Greetings To All

Dimy

Hello,

New guy on the streets of fountain pen network and found the site very helpful for all kinds of things, literally all kinds of things related to fountain pens and so decided to make some contributions from my side starting with this one small step. I will try to address the issues I faced as starter with my posts in future and try to make others start the hobby with good cheaper pens which who know might convert someone to this artsmile.png

I am from India and hope everyone is doing well in big wide world and have a nice day.

Thanks again everyone.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dimy

• PeterR-C

• N1003U

• WLSpec

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

New guy on the streets of fountain pen network and found the site very helpful for all kinds of things, literally all kinds of things related to fountain pens and so decided to make some contributions from my side starting with this one small step. I will try to address the issues I faced as starter with my posts in future and try to make others start the hobby with good cheaper pens which who know might convert someone to this artsmile.png

I am from India and hope everyone is doing well in big wide world and have a nice day.

Thanks again everyone.

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to this friendly corner of the universe from a fountain pen user in San Diego. There is such a wealth of information waiting for you to discover on this site. Write On!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello Dimy, and welcome!

Do tell us about your fountain pen experiences, and perhaps some of your likes and dislikes, and your favorite pens and inks, and, since you are a self-described newbie, where you think you want to go with your fountain pen obsession hobby.

Do you just have a few trusty pens, or are you becoming a hard-core collector? Extra-fine, or double broad? Heavy, light? Fat, thin? Gold, or steel (or, heaven forbid, titanium)?

Enjoy your time here!

Hi There

Welcome to the FPN Community

There is a lot to learn here and hopefully you will enjoy your time on this forum.

sorry for not replying got a bit stuck in a pickle, finally free so lets answer all questions.

Hello Dimi, welcome from Durham in NE England. What part of India are you from?

I am from Uttar Pradesh, part of central India, residence of its capital Lucknow.

Hello Dimy, and welcome!

Do tell us about your fountain pen experiences, and perhaps some of your likes and dislikes, and your favorite pens and inks, and, since you are a self-described newbie, where you think you want to go with your fountain pen obsession hobby.

Do you just have a few trusty pens, or are you becoming a hard-core collector? Extra-fine, or double broad? Heavy, light? Fat, thin? Gold, or steel (or, heaven forbid, titanium)?

Enjoy your time here!

My experience with fountains started with the sole aim of improving my writing, it was poor to level of unreadable and teachers would call me while checking my work. They were good people always encouraging me to try better and my mom's idea of trying fountain pen was only option which I could see. So what started as force soon became well....obsession. There was a turning point which actually made me switch to fountains and will mention it in my post which I am planning cos its long story.

Likes and Dislikes are some not much though but my biggest issue has been less number of pages per fill...i have to almost always fill second time in one day or 2 days when I am at peak of writing....this started as dislike but now its an event which I actually look forward to every time it happen. No idea why I just enjoy the feeling of refills in fountains.

Likes well..what can I say that has already not known to all of us here there are too many.

well where I want to go as hobby is well never really thought about it, I just keep collecting all pens I like abid in lower bracket of cost. never really went beyond 80$ and well I do want to own some local pens of places I visit. Will be long before i can even attempt but it is in bucket list to own at least one local pens which connect me to that place and always remind me of the trip whenever I write with it.

now my favorites well I don't have many pens to start with and I prefer work horses over anything...so current ones that top the list are,,,,,,,,Platinum Procyon, a gem if one asks me. My most trusted ones though are combination of 3 as I use different colors while taking note works. Kanwrite Desire 35 Fine nib and Metropolitan Fine nib.

Inks are 2 i am biased to blue-blacks so there is that to consider. favorites are platinum carbon black (a pain to clean so much that I dedicated 1 pen to it and yet is my daily note maker) and pilot iroshizuku Shin-kai (took a while to grow on me but what a growth it made).

I use Indian registers and papers which honestly I have no idea what type they are, good ones claim acid-free and bright white, so every new company register is new test for inks not bleeding and feathering...this makes me get incline to Fine nibs for Euro nibs and Medium for Japanese ones. Extra-fines are tad too fine sometimes and I love them but well I still prefer fines. Never got to try Japanese extra-fines and hope to see that famous needle point.

Edited by Dimy

Thanks, Dimy, for the lovely introduction. Now I feel like I know you a bit better, at least in terms of fountain pens.

Once again, Welcome! We look forward to reading your posts.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information Dimy. I have never visted Lucknow, but one day perhaps! I liked you reply about why you started using fountains. That exactly parallels my own: my handwriting got worse and worse, to the point that it embarrassed me. In the end I thought I had to do something about it. So I bought a new Parker Sonnet. A bit later my wife found my old Parker 61 in the back of a drawer. Andfrom that small beginning grew an obsession! Like you, I love the business of refilling. I have several pens now, mainly Sonnets, and I change them around on a weekly basis. This gives me the chance to fuss about with cleaning out the ones I used last week and putting them away for a bit, while deciding which ones to fill with what clour for the coming week. If you had told me 10 years ago that I would gain huge enjoyment from this, I would have thought you were mad! But it's true. :excl:

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the information Dimy. I have never visted Lucknow, but one day perhaps! I liked you reply about why you started using fountains. That exactly parallels my own: my handwriting got worse and worse, to the point that it embarrassed me. In the end I thought I had to do something about it. So I bought a new Parker Sonnet. A bit later my wife found my old Parker 61 in the back of a drawer. Andfrom that small beginning grew an obsession! Like you, I love the business of refilling. I have several pens now, mainly Sonnets, and I change them around on a weekly basis. This gives me the chance to fuss about with cleaning out the ones I used last week and putting them away for a bit, while deciding which ones to fill with what clour for the coming week. If you had told me 10 years ago that I would gain huge enjoyment from this, I would have thought you were mad! But it's true. excl.png

Sorry for such a late reply I did not check this post in a while, apologies for that.

That is exactly my thoughts too 10 years ago I would have thought the same, why would anyone love such a high maintenance tool just to write.....oh how I think back and laugh even now I think if I could go back I would not be able to convince myself which is really funny.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome!

:W2FPN: :D

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke