Vindolanda Fountain Pens

vivdunstan

Has anyone tried one of these Vindolanda pens made from 2000 year old oak dug up at the archaeological site in northeast England? I think its a cartridge converter pen.

https://www.vindolanda.com/shop/vindolanda-wood-ink-pen

From a Reddit post I found it looks like a F/M-ish nib.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/csjvti/my_first_fountain_pen_made_by_david_wayper_out_of/

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vivdunstan

• shalitha33

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting pen :) and congratulation.

We used to have a series of pens in New Zealand using ancient kauri wood (50,000 year old ) sold some time around the early 2000s. Don't see them around any more though :(

Oak should have a much nicer texture and grain than kauri so i'm sure it would look stunning. what type of a nib does it comes with and how does it write ?

IMG_1859.JPG

Oh I haven’t bought it, I was just considering. And it’s now out of stock - I think I prompted some other UK folks to buy it with another post elsewhere!

There is a metal capped version still in stock though:

https://www.vindolanda.com/shop/vindolanda-wood-gun-metal-fountain-pen

I’m very sceptical about the nib. It could be good, but with “Iridium Point Germany” (number 2) that could be a decent nib or a cheap rip off. So I was wondering if anyone else had tried one.

I can see myself picking up the all wood version if it comes back in stock. Just for “Wowww!” factor, plus a way of supporting the charitable archaeological trust who currently have a survival funding appeal running. If I do I will report back here re how it writes.

• 2 weeks later...

New pen arrival today, with a fountain pen made from 2,000 year old wood excavated from the Roman fort at Vindolanda in northeast England. Will post more coherent thoughts later but first impressions very good. Lovely smooth writer. Looks like a fine nib in terms of writing size.

Thought I’d post some more detailed thoughts about the Vindolanda wood pen I received the other day. It’s made by local craftsman David Wayper from oak wood excavated from the 2000-year-old Roman fort site in northeast England, wood that isn’t suitable for conservation. I think he’s done an excellent job.

vindolanda1-smaller-even.jpg

The wood in the pen has a lovely warm texture and feels great to hold, never mind the marvellous sense of history tied up with it. I was concerned about the metal grip section, but it’s comfortable to use, with lots of room for options for holding. Best of all the nib works great. I was concerned about it, because a German Iridium Nib could be of extremely variable quality. Mine writes just grand, nice and smoothly, with little drag. It also starts writing well. Initially mine was writing closer to a fine but is now clearly a medium. Also there are 2 circles on the nib which I think indicate a medium.

vindolanda3-smaller-even.jpg

The pen can be used posted (screw on post - so very secure), but I prefer to use it unposted. It’s supplied in a smart presentation box, with a cartridge included in the barrel (unfitted), and a sac converter (0.45ml capacity). I’m using it with the cartridge supplied, but plan to use syringe-refilled cartridges with my own ink in future. I forgot to weigh it before fitting the cartridge, but the entire pen with cartridge is 42g, the cap alone 20g, and the body with cartridge installed 22g. A very nice piece.

vindolanda2-smaller-even.jpg

For any fellow Vindolanda pen fans who're interested in how it's made here are the instructions that come with the pen kit, at least from one pen kit seller. I am agog, in a good way :D It's a Retro Pen Kit "Antique Bronze" styling. Which could have turned out badly in the end product, but as I said I find lovely to hold and use, with a very good nib. Actually it's probably one of my best nibs, only beaten by my Visconti Van Gogh and Lamy 2000.

https://www.houtdraaiwerken-penkits.nl/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/FP234-Retro-pen-kit.pdf