Karas Kustoms Signature Series Decograph Fp

donnweinberg

After viewing some older posts about some of the products made by the U.S. company, Karas Kustoms, I was stimulated to check out the KK website, and I just received two of their fountain pens. I went with their "Signature Series," and within that series two of the "Decograph" models.

Here are photos I took yesterday of the two pens. Each pen comes inside a very solid stainless steel ("SS") cylinder that twists off in the middle. The Karas symbol 'K' is on the upper part of the cylinder. After removing the upper part, the pen is revealed, sitting safely in a foam insert along with KK's "cheeky" instruction sheet (read it) rolled up inside. I've unrolled it for the second photo.

fpn_1591110493__kk_cylinders_closed.jpeg

fpn_1591110527__decograph_-_pens_in_cyli

Here are photos of the Signature Series "Black Pen Society Decograph" fountain pen for 2019. According to the KK page for this pen, Paul Erano of the Black Pen Society collaborated with KK for this particular pen (not the Decograph style itself). The clip is a one-piece milled aluminum machined at a slight angle to help keep the pen securely in a shirt pocket. The finials on the cap and barrel are aluminum and are securely screwed in, according to the site. The body and barrel are machined from solid thermoplastic. The Decograph is said to be KK's lightest pen, weighing .72 ounces (20.4 grams). The pen's length is about 5.25 inches (about 13.5 mm).

The standard nib is a SS # 6 Bock with KK's own design on the nib face. For various premiums, one can order the Decograph (as well as all the KK FPs) with a titanium nib or a gold (14K or 18K) nib, and there are a decent variety of nib widths available. I chose the standard SS nib in a medium width, as right now KK is out-of-stock on some of the other widths (depending on nib material). If there were no stocking issues, I would have ordered a broad or stub.

The pen comes with a Schmidt K5 cartridge converter and two Monteverde ink cartridges.

For those who insist on posting their caps on barrels, one can post with the Decograph pens, but I wouldn't recommend pushing the cap on the barrel end too forcefully or too often. I don't think the designers intended for the cap to be posted. Posting would add weight that some pen uses desire, as this is a light-weight pen. I don't post my pens, unless they are very short without posting.

fpn_1591110932__decograph_-_bps_black_mo

fpn_1591110962__decograph_-_bps_black_mo

fpn_1591110991__decograph_-_bps_black_mo

Whatever green you see in these photos of the BPS Decograph is only a reflection from a green object. This pen is all black.

fpn_1591111023__decograph_-_bps_black_mo

Next are photos of the Deco Green FP. I've enhanced the coloration to compensate for my less than ideal photography conditions, so that what you see here color-wise is how the pen actually looks. This model has the same length and weight as the BPS Decograph above, so I need not repeat myself.

I filled my Deco Green through the converter with Krishna Elegent Teal ink. It wrote immediately with its medium SS nib without any issues. The nib has some springiness to it, and writing with a light touch is easy and very pleasant. The line it puts down is on the wet side, which I like.

fpn_1591112374__decograph_-_deco_green_1

fpn_1591112406__decograph_-_deco_green_2

fpn_1591112437__decograph_-_deco_green_3

fpn_1591112470__decograph_-_deco_green_4

Thus far, I am very pleased with this pen. The cost of each was $130 with just the standard nib.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• donnweinberg

• Jamerelbe

• XYZZY

• NumberSix

I am really enjoying using the Deco Green that I filled June 2. I've been writing with it everyday. It has remained a very smooth writer with very reliable ink flow.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that writeup, and for encouraging me to read the instruction sheet:). This was detailed enough that it would not have been out of place in the reviews section. I still haven't bought a Karas pen but you are going to be the cause of me wasting time clicking around their website today.

[snip]

The standard nib is a SS # 6 Bock with KK's own design on the nib face. For various premiums, one can order the Decograph (as well as all the KK FPs) with a titanium nib or a gold (14K or 18K) nib, and there are a decent variety of nib widths available. I chose the standard SS nib in a medium width, as right now KK is out-of-stock on some of the other widths (depending on nib material). If there were no stocking issues, I would have ordered a broad or stub.

[snip]

Any idea if these are complete Bock 250 nib units, or are they Bock nibs in a proprietary setup? To my mind, +1 for Bock nibs, but another +1 if I can readily swap out entire nib units.

Thanks for that writeup, and for encouraging me to read the instruction sheet:). This was detailed enough that it would not have been out of place in the reviews section. I still haven't bought a Karas pen but you are going to be the cause of me wasting time clicking around their website today.

Yeah, the site is worth checking out, at least to see all that they make. They currently are "out of stock" on most of their FPs, probably because of the pandemic, but the ones I got still are available at this point, I think.

Any idea if these are complete Bock 250 nib units, or are they Bock nibs in a proprietary setup? To my mind, +1 for Bock nibs, but another +1 if I can readily swap out entire nib units.

I don't know. I wonder if the website addresses that question. If not, an email to the seller should yield the answer.

Yeah, the site is worth checking out, at least to see all that they make. They currently are "out of stock" on most of their FPs, probably because of the pandemic, but the ones I got still are available at this point, I think.

They will send marketing emails almost on a daily basis if you sign up, though, including advertising things "on sale" that have been out of stock for awhile. LOL

I really like the looks of that Black Pen Society model, and I have considered getting one. Glad to know you enjoy using the Decograph.

Yeah, NumberSix, I find myself really taking to the Decograph model. It's very light, but very solid, and just feels well-made and right in my hand when I write with it.

They are stock bock nib units. I just received my first decograph and I really like the branding on the nib. It looks great.

They are stock bock nib units. I just received my first decograph and I really like the branding on the nib. It looks great.

I agree. The nib is very good-looking. :thumbup:

You always post interesting pens I rarely see in real life. Thanks for the education.

Thank you, Hanoi.

Karas makes nice looking pen, in their simplicity. The Vertex has caught my interest, but this is rather nice too.

I am enjoying my Karas Decograph Acrylic Green so much that I ordered four more Decographs (this time in aluminum), plus an INK FP (in Copper) and a Fountain K FP (Orange). On most of these pens, I ordered Karas' 1.1 Stub nib. Here are photos for now, but I plan to discuss how the 1.1 Stub performs after I try it out.

I'll start with the Karas Decograph "White Delrin" FP. I paid $115 on sale for it. This pen, as I ordered it, sports the Karas 1.1 SS Stub nib (no extra charge). The body's metal fittings are in anodized aluminum. The white portions are made of Delrin, also known technically as "polyoxymethylene" ("POM"). According to Wikipedia, POM is "an engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts requiring high stiffness, low friction, and excellent dimensional stability. . . . POM is intrinsically opaque white, due to its high crystalline composition, but is available in all colors." It sounds like Delrin should be quite durable.

fpn_1593207790__decograph_-_white_delrin

fpn_1593207874__decograph_-_white_delrin

fpn_1593207906__decograph_-_white_delrin

fpn_1593207933__decograph_-_white_delrin

fpn_1593207959__decograph_-_white_delrin

Next, here are photos of the three aluminum-based Karas Decograph FPs I received, in Grey, Red, and Violet. The first two, with SS 1.1 stub nibs, feature anodized aluminum metal trim, but the Violet version, with a SS medium nib, is called "Battleworn," because its trim features a raw, non-anodized aluminum. The photos show the difference.

The grey is a dark grey:

fpn_1593208755__decograph_-_ai_13_grey_-

fpn_1593208781__decograph_-_ai_13_grey_-

fpn_1593208805__decograph_-_ai_13_grey_-

fpn_1593208832__decograph_-_ai_13_grey_-

Here's the Red one:

fpn_1593208950__decograph_-_ai_13_red_-_

fpn_1593208975__decograph_-_ai_13_red_-_

Now, the Battleworn Violet model with a medium nib. Notice the two very thin strips of raw aluminum on the barrel threads; the upper one even shows just below the cap:

fpn_1593209062__decograph_-_battleworn_v

fpn_1593209096__decograph_-_battleworn_v

fpn_1593209122__decograph_-_battleworn_v

Although not a Signature Series Decograph model, the "Ink" model was one I wanted to try out. This one is the "Ink" model with a copper body and copper section (you can choose separately other body and section materials). I ordered this Ink FP with a SS 1.1 stub nib. It is a heavy pen and probably not appropriate for most shirt pockets. As the cap is flush with the barrel, there is a section step-down, but not a radical one.

fpn_1593209474__ink_copper_-_cap_on_1.jp

fpn_1593209498__ink_copper_-_cap_on_2_-_

fpn_1593209526__ink_copper_-_cap_off_1.j

Finally, I got a "Fountain K" FP in Orange aluminum for $70. This pen has a Bock broad nib.

fpn_1593209796__fountain_k_-_orange_-_ca

fpn_1593209820__fountain_k_-_orange_-_ca

fpn_1593209842__fountain_k_-_orange_-_ca

And, here's my writing sample using the Decograph with a stainless steel 1.1 stub nib with Platinum Lavender Black ink:

fpn_1593218440__11_stub_writing_sample.j

Thanks for posting these, Don - I have an acrylic Decograph (a limited edition Pen Show edition purchased via their Pen Club), and have been wondering about getting another from their current. Their standard green acrylic is *really* appealing to me - but I've been wondering about the delrin and aluminium versions. The battleworn violet is appealing from the point of view of cost, but not sure about the colour and finish.. Any thoughts about which of your look best / feel best in the hand? [i know that's very subjective, but I'm interested to know!]

Hi, Jamerelbe. I've always preferred plastic/acrylic/resin over any metal as the primary body of a fountain pen. My preference is based on look to the eye and feel in in hand. So, my own preference favors the Delrin or Acrylic versions (equally light) of the Decograph. The Decograph aluminum versions, though, are light (but not as light as the others), and one can't doubt their exterior durability compared with plastic/acrylic/resin. The battleworn Violet has an interesting look, but I'm not in love with the look, although purple is one of my favorite colors (especially when I was younger); I guess I prefer anodized aluminum over raw aluminum for eye appeal. I liked the performance of the pens, so I also wanted examples of each material in favored colors. I hope this explanation helps you.