Conklin All American Fountain Pen

Flash

I currently have a pelikan M800 medium nib using Montblanc permanent blue ink and are very pleased with the results, especially the line width. I'm aware that European nib widths are slightly wider than American ones, so should I go with the medium nib or a broad nib for the Conklin?

I wouldn't like to go any thinner line wise than at present, and I find Montblanc flows better than Noodlers Wardens ink, so any suggestions, medium or broad nib ?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• Flash

• Honeybadgers

• thx1138

I own both M800 with 18k M nib and Conklin all American with steel M nib and they do feel different.

More than a real difference between EU and US nibs, you should consider that on average modern Pelikans have slightly wider nibs (wider also vs EU pens).

The other point you need to consider is that Pelikan pens have rather generous flow.

Then do not forget you are comparing a 18k nib with a steel nib.

Especially the first two things together suggest that if you are absolutely unwilling to experience a thinner line with more restrained flow, you might be better off with a B nib on the Conklin.

In any case, don't expect exact same behaviour, when comparing a different pen and a different nib and a different filling system, as you are bound to find different performance.

All in all, the M800 is no doubt in another league vs the Conklin, which is however a nice workhorse pen.

fpn_1590963810__img_4202-3_conklin_all_a

Edited by sansenri

Thank you for your prompt and comprehensive reply.

It will be a workhorse pen, so I'll probably give the broad nib a try

I really wish you hadn't shown me such a good picture of that orange pen.

:D The All American is made in some quite nice resins, the Old Glory is boldly attractive and the new Turquoise is also rather different.

• 2 weeks later...

Sansenri, glad I took your advice and went for the broad nib. I had delivery a couple of days ago, and the Conklin broad nib equates to the pelikan M. Its a nice (large) pen.

The old glory is one of my absolute favorites for the all american.

I don't like conklin's nibs much, though, so I swap them out for regular bock ones. I have a 14k music bock nib in my all american.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I've had a very bad experience with a nib on a Conklin Symetric but the nib on my All American is good, no complaints.

So I have not tried swapping it, do you just pull nib and feed out? Just out of curiosity...

I've had a very bad experience with a nib on a Conklin Symetric but the nib on my All American is good, no complaints.

So I have not tried swapping it, do you just pull nib and feed out? Just out of curiosity...

Yup. They are also screw-in units. Conklin nibs can be hugely hit or miss, but the quality of the bodies is usually great. I love the nozac and all american.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Hi Fountain Penners! I've read several reviews of these pen and am flummoxed by the nib disparity. Some say the Fine nib writes like a medium and very wet. Others say the fine writes like a fine and dry. Personally, I like a dry fine writer. Can anyone help me out with this? Do I want the Fine or EF?

Sansenri, glad I took your advice and went for the broad nib. I had delivery a couple of days ago, and the Conklin broad nib equates to the pelikan M. Its a nice (large) pen.

glad it worked out, enjoy the pen

Hi Fountain Penners! I've read several reviews of these pen and am flummoxed by the nib disparity. Some say the Fine nib writes like a medium and very wet. Others say the fine writes like a fine and dry. Personally, I like a dry fine writer. Can anyone help me out with this? Do I want the Fine or EF?

I'm not a lover of fine nibs so I cannot help you much there. What Honeybadgers suggested thought is the info to catch.

These pens are quite nice (I like mine too), the nibs may be faulty at times, but they are steel #6 nibs, and they are easy to swap out in case you get a dud, without a huge additional expenditure. I always consider this a plus. With time and experience you develop a preference to certain nibs (both makes and width) so having a pen that is solidly built and is comfortable to use, ensures that, whenever you choose to pull out that nib and swap in another nib of higher quality and to your liking, that pen will maintain a high usability value for you. Additionally, it's a nice game to play... :D

I own both M800 with 18k M nib and Conklin all American with steel M nib and they do feel different.

More than a real difference between EU and US nibs, you should consider that on average modern Pelikans have slightly wider nibs (wider also vs EU pens).

The other point you need to consider is that Pelikan pens have rather generous flow.

Then do not forget you are comparing a 18k nib with a steel nib.

Especially the first two things together suggest that if you are absolutely unwilling to experience a thinner line with more restrained flow, you might be better off with a B nib on the Conklin.

In any case, don't expect exact same behaviour, when comparing a different pen and a different nib and a different filling system, as you are bound to find different performance.

All in all, the M800 is no doubt in another league vs the Conklin, which is however a nice workhorse pen.

fpn_1590963810__img_4202-3_conklin_all_a

Wonderful colour.