Tibaldi Rinascita? The First And Most Important Italian Manufacturer Of Fountain Pens

peroride

Or lifestyle brand for the new millenials?

Plastic is the new Celluloid :rolleyes:

Sadly, not a gray hair in sight :o

Tibaldi N60 Blu Samarkand fountain pen courtesy of Novelli

• The steel on ebonite c/c filler does have me weak in the knees with aching pang of a Modello Transparente facade :P
  • Kinda doing a Leonardo Momento Zero play with classic line and affordable price.

https://youtu.be/fU1taIo_P4g

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peroride

• fpupulin

• Seney724

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Handsome pens √

Ebonite feed √

Nibs made by? Friction or screw?

I look forward to reviews.

Add lightness and simplicate.

The website is hilarious, at least to me. I realize I'm reading an Italian site in English, but this doesn't read as machine translation, I think they must have provided their own English version. It is full of the fulsomely meaningless wet dreams of advertising people. Like this:

"Vision cleaning is radical almost to the point of the eccentric. The volumes are robust and déjà-vu."

Sorry, as good as the pens might be, I can't take them seriously with this kind of advertising. Clearly I am not their target audience, as I know that it is generally a bad idea to hold your pens in your teeth.

Edited by Paul-in-SF

Or lifestyle brand for the new millenials?

Plastic is the new Celluloid :rolleyes:

Sadly, not a gray hair in sight :o

Tibaldi N60 Blu Samarkand fountain pen courtesy of Novelli

• The steel on ebonite c/c filler does have me weak in the knees with aching pang of a Modello Transparente facade :P
  • Kinda doing a Leonardo Momento Zero play with classic line and affordable price.
https://youtu.be/fU1taIo_P4g

No.

Just no!

Rest in peace Tibaldi!!

>Vision cleaning is radical almost to the point of the eccentric.

:D I missed that, reminds me of Japanese lunch box english.

Back to the future, let's say Tibaldi as sub-brand of Montegrappa does this demographic pivot to bypass the fevered fandom of old guard toward pen biting insta TikTok hype kids and brings in a new wave? B)

What's a Tibaldi?? Can I chew it? Is it in Taylor Swift Coral? As seen on Insta, she's doing vin-tage?

Hold on to your Tibaldis, Ebay stock be rising on retro celluloid ! :yikes:

That said, if that 5# or 6# is swappable, i will be singing a new tune!

Famiglia di Aquila, per favore?

Do you want to know how it works?

Let's say you own a brand, which in a certain moment made its (small) history. It's a lethargic thing, designed to make a Cenozoic product like a fountain pen. You, and perhaps a few hundred more people around the world, still have a memory of the brand: Tibaldi ... For the other hundreds of millions of people around the world this name has no meaning. If You wanted to explain to them what it was like once, they would kindly start yawning, as if they were listening to grandpa's stories ...

Since you have no idea what to do with your brand, someone suggests contacting a corporate communications firm and asking them to "analyze" your brand.

If you decide to pay a little, you can contact a low-level company. They are marketers, having brilliant ideas is not their job. You will pay a low fee, without results. But if you decide to be prodigal and contact a high-end communications company, they will have a team of philosophers and sociologists, writers, journalists and economists ready to work for you. You will explain them about the fountain pens, the dinosaurs who buy them, the niche market and so on. Maybe you will explain that you have another brand, in that small world of archaic instruments, which is more or less doing its job and, well, it sells pens ...

They will ask you time to plan your "project". They will soon discover that almost nobody is interested in fountain pens and absolutely nobody who is less than thirty years old. Fantastic !, they will say. Here is a potential limitless target ... They will introduce you to the project. They are good at it, it's their job. When they sit in your boardroom, they will be much smarter than your team as a group. They will convince you, even if instinctively reluctant, that the project is very good. They will suggest that you contact an advertising company to shape the idea. Since this is not your idea, but theirs, they will be in charge of conveying the "message" to the creative minds of advertising.

Now, you have your web page and Facewhatever with a language and images, which are the empty expression of a soulless project, born in the mind of two dozen people not interested in fountain pens but with many cultural interconnections ...

For young people who are their potential target, Tibaldi is already a mistake because it is an Italian name ....

For the rest of the dinosaurs, who actually buy fountain pens, your web page is an obscenity, your message a blow in the wind of contemporary emptiness ...

Do you want to know how it works?

Let's say you own a brand, which in a certain moment made its (small) history. It's a lethargic thing, designed to make a Cenozoic product like a fountain pen. You, and perhaps a few hundred more people around the world, still have a memory of the brand: Tibaldi ... For the other hundreds of millions of people around the world this name has no meaning. If You wanted to explain to them what it was like once, they would kindly start yawning, as if they were listening to grandpa's stories ...

Since you have no idea what to do with your brand, someone suggests contacting a corporate communications firm and asking them to "analyze" your brand.

If you decide to pay a little, you can contact a low-level company. They are marketers, having brilliant ideas is not their job. You will pay a low fee, without results. But if you decide to be prodigal and contact a high-end communications company, they will have a team of philosophers and sociologists, writers, journalists and economists ready to work for you. You will explain them about the fountain pens, the dinosaurs who buy them, the niche market and so on. Maybe you will explain that you have another brand, in that small world of archaic instruments, which is more or less doing its job and, well, it sells pens ...

They will ask you time to plan your "project". They will soon discover that almost nobody is interested in fountain pens and absolutely nobody who is less than thirty years old. Fantastic !, they will say. Here is a potential limitless target ... They will introduce you to the project. They are good at it, it's their job. When they sit in your boardroom, they will be much smarter than your team as a group. They will convince you, even if instinctively reluctant, that the project is very good. They will suggest that you contact an advertising company to shape the idea. Since this is not your idea, but theirs, they will be in charge of conveying the "message" to the creative minds of advertising.

Now, you have your web page and Facewhatever with a language and images, which are the empty expression of a soulless project, born in the mind of two dozen people not interested in fountain pens but with many cultural interconnections ...

For young people who are their potential target, Tibaldi is already a mistake because it is an Italian name ....

For the rest of the dinosaurs, who actually buy fountain pens, your web page is an obscenity, your message a blow in the wind of contemporary emptiness ...

+1

Bravo!

>Do you want to know how it works?

So it's like @Seney724 noted, "Rest in peace Tibaldi!!"

Thank you, @fpupulin the truth is painful. :(

As a mail clerk far from the C-level suite, I'll just go on romantically pining from the pages of Lambrou, A. Fountain Pens of World :P

I will still hold out hope though, for the closeout sale when the fad mobs move to the next hip experience ;)

>Do you want to know how it works?

So it's like @Seney724 noted, "Rest in peace Tibaldi!!"

Thank you, @fpupulin the truth is painful. :(

As a mail clerk far from the C-level suite, I'll just go on romantically pining from the pages of Lambrou, A. Fountain Pens of World :P

I will still hold out hope though, for the closeout sale when the fad mobs move to the next hip experience ;)

You see, the ironic part of the story, is that the communication blob has nothing to do with Tibaldi pens. They could have used the same photos, same texts, same testimonials, for a trendy bracelet or a entry brand of leather goods...

At Tibaldi, they made pens, not pens for the lunatic target of their web page. Why should they take the time and effort to made an ebonite feeder? For somebody who has never been introduced to a fountain pen? It may be that the pens are good, or may be they could become good. Hard to say, as the divorce between the reality and its communication pushes back the only possible clients: we the dinosaurs. We probably will never know.

An interesting discussion, all from the perspective of people who know or know of the "real" Tibaldi pens.

Pretend that the producers of this pen chose another name. They modeled it after an extinct pen which had a nice size and shape. They made it in attractive, inexpensive materials. They fitted it with a good quality commodity nib. And they priced the pen at the low end of other pens of similar quality.

Would you find it tempting?

As for me, I don't need more pens of this sort, and there is nothing particularly special about it. And I find contemporary exploitation of the name and reputation of defunct manufacturers of superior fountain pens off-putting.

Not enough to raise my blood pressure. (I just checked to be sure.)

David

Pretend that the producers of this pen chose another name. They modeled it after an extinct pen which had a nice size and shape. They made it in attractive, inexpensive materials. They fitted it with a good quality commodity nib. And they priced the pen at the low end of other pens of similar quality.

If that were the case, it would just be another brand that would get compared to Leonardo and fall well short. The materials are more interesting looking than some but overall it is clear they are just trying to cash in on the low end of the market since (I'm guessing) there isn't a lot of selling of the multi-thousand dollar monstrosities they slap the Tibaldi name on nowadays.

I'm not looking for additional pens at this point. That aside, if it would take one on my existing tI ci nibs on that ebonite feed, yes, I would find a black N.60 tempting.

Add lightness and simplicate.