Conid Open Orders

ace117

I've been sitting on the fence for quite a long time. I was almost ready to order when Conid decided they would stop accepting orders and take a break...

Frankly I'm sort of glad I did not, as waiting would have been long with a consistent advanced payment...

I'm wondering why they are not considering another payment term, which could easily be tied to the date in which your pen actually starts being produced (not 6 months earlier...), and in the meantime build a booking queue.

I do understand a small firm like Conid cannot accept payment upon shipment, they need to fund work and stock of materials, but probably, given their very slow output, they could tie payment to start of production for each individual customer (or production batches). This might balance things out a bit.

The reason they don't do this is likely because "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". It is quite easy to sign up for something and forget that in 9 months you're going to have to cough up 1,000 bucks. How many orders would they lose to people saying they just don't have the money now, or they changed their mind? I bet they'd lose more orders to that than people canceling because of the long wait. When Conid started out, they may have also never anticipated the wait times being what they are.

I think it would be irresponsible to reopen taking new orders until they are fully caught up on the current queue.

Either way, people know the super long wait and radio silence is part of the "Conid culture", so I guess it is what it is. In a way, they may even profit a bit off the "Conids are hard to get" mentality. It adds something intangible (and arguably worthless) to the purchasing process and ownership experience that might actually attract certain people that have the patience to endure the wait. I don't appear to be one of those people attracted by the long wait and being treated like a faceless "transaction" with zero communication, but I could kind of see how that might appeal to people....sort of.

For the record, I actually really admire and respect the people making the pens. But their business savvy is highly lacking. Many engineers are like this. They are very good at what they do, but they should have someone else running the "nuts and bolts" of the operations and customer relations...JMHO.

Edited by sirgilbert357

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EliH

• maclink

• Karmachanic

• ace117

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason they don't do this is likely because "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". It is quite easy to sign up for something and forget that in 9 months you're going to have to cough up 1,000 bucks. How many orders would they lose to people saying they just don't have the money now, or they changed their mind? I bet they'd lose more orders to that than people canceling because of the long wait. When Conid started out, they may have also never anticipated the wait times being what they are.

I think it would be irresponsible to reopen taking new orders until they are fully caught up on the current queue.

Either way, people know the super long wait and radio silence is part of the "Conid culture", so I guess it is what it is. In a way, they may even profit a bit off the "Conids are hard to get" mentality. It adds something intangible (and arguably worthless) to the purchasing process and ownership experience that might actually attract certain people that have the patience to endure the wait. I don't appear to be one of those people attracted by the long wait and being treated like a faceless "transaction" with zero communication, but I could kind of see how that might appeal to people....sort of.

For the record, I actually really admire and respect the people making the pens. But their business savvy is highly lacking. Many engineers are like this. They are very good at what they do, but they should have someone else running the "nuts and bolts" of the operations and customer relations...JMHO.

makes sense... and I think I agree on you other comments too :D

But their business savvy is highly lacking.

Yup. Absence of consideration and customer care. First class product tho'.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Just to add a positive experience here, I have received two pens from them in the last year.

I ordered one in July 2019 and it arrived in October. I immediately ordered a second in late October 2019 and it arrived in April 2020.

Both pens were AVDA Phi Minimalisticas, which have a low part count and are much faster to machine. They were also ordered without nibs.

I move between Canada and Europe for work and Jonas from Conid maintained constant contact with me to ensure that both pens were delivered to the correct address at the correct month.

I have only had extremely positive interactions with the folks at Conid. When they reopen I will be ordering again.

• 2 weeks later...

All I wanted out of my Conid experience is quality and that's what I got in my AVDA Phi Minimalistica. I ordered in October 2019 and got it in April 2020. I didn't enjoy the wait and bought an Conid Antwerp Pen in the interim. I really enjoy both pens and am seriously tempted to order a KingSize once they've started taking orders again.

My take on their service is that at the end, I have not been disappointed with the pen I received, but quite the opposite. OTOH, I've had great service and received pens that I'm not so keen on. So, yes, I'd patiently wait for a KingSize.

Hey guys! So i just made a video on my bulkfiller i received a while back! Its just a little unboxing and overview video just in case you guys are curious about what come with the new orders and how their quality is, given their order stop! Honestly so far ive been very impressed by the pen and i hope this video gives you guys who are still waiting on yours some hope/ excitement!

Edited by ace117

My order is no longer open, my Kingsize Streamline Bulkfiller Demo has indeed arrived. It came as a complete surprise, because there had been no shipping notification beforehand. Anyway, I will say that for me it was worth the wait and the price, absolutely. The lack of communication is just an entirely unnecessary frustration which takes some of the shine off.

Greetings,

Christina

Hey guys! So i just made a video on my bulkfiller i received a while back! Its just a little unboxing and overview video just in case you guys are curious about what come with the new orders and how their quality is, given their order stop! Honestly so far ive been very impressed by the pen and i hope this video gives you guys who are still waiting on yours some hope/ excitement!

Thank you very much for your video!

You should do more reviews.

How long ago had you ordered your Conid?

My order is no longer open, my Kingsize Streamline Bulkfiller Demo has indeed arrived. It came as a complete surprise, because there had been no shipping notification beforehand. Anyway, I will say that for me it was worth the wait and the price, absolutely. The lack of communication is just an entirely unnecessary frustration which takes some of the shine off.

Congratulations on final delivery! Good to hear it was worth the wait.

No shipping notification? :unsure:

Maybe a big ask but for folks who got lucky and received their orders, does the tracking number show up here: https://www.conidpen.com/my-account/orders/ ?

Maybe a big ask but for folks who got lucky and received their orders, does the tracking number show up here: https://www.conidpen.com/my-account/orders/ ?

I got email from Conid with photos of the pen and writing sample and a DHL tracking number. The "My Conid" part of the website is not updated at all. It still shows my order as "processing."

I got email from Conid with photos of the pen and writing sample and a DHL tracking number. The "My Conid" part of the website is not updated at all. It still shows my order as "processing."

If you just got that email then great. What do you have on the way? :puddle:

My account shows no trace of any transaction since the order confirmation. In other words: "still processing".

But I've had a week now with the pen inked up and I'm definitely enjoying the product. All's good that ends well. Unfortunately I seem to have forgotten how to post pictures here...

Greetings,

Christina

Thank you both for sharing your experiences and eye candy :P

My order too is stuck on 'Processing' so it good to know this is the common standard

Enjoy Conids!

Am I the only one intermittently, though regularly, checking the Conid website to see if that announcement at the top of the homepage is no longer there?

I have a lot of fountain pens and of all of them, I love my Conids the most. I was just writing with and cleaning my Lamy 2000 and I have to say it's up there with them.

Am I the only one intermittently, though regularly, checking the Conid website to see if that announcement at the top of the homepage is no longer there?

I am checking from time to time as well

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

I've signed up but I don't trust them. I would be that they will be open before they take the time create a newsletter than includes the announcement.