Pelikan M1000 Raden Green Ray Pics And Comparisons

jandrese

Here is my new Pelikan M1000 Raden Green Ray. This pen was announced to some fanfare. Certainly, the pen deserves some fanfare. As an M1000 it makes a statement as a flagship writing instrument and as a maki-e M1000 it becomes art. What is missing, however, is a story. There is no backstory, no narrative of the conceptualization. The artist remains obscure. The techniques a mystery. Much of that is not unusual for maki-e work, but this is 2020 and brands need to tell stories. Made in only 400 copies due to the nature of material and technique each is really a piece unique. My is 333 making it only half evil.

49923928511_728907187a_k.jpgIMG_4994 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49923928781_178c4ddf39_k.jpgIMG_4972 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49923927966_45386d8b3c_k.jpgIMG_4984 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

What I believe is that Pelikan decided to make the definitive raden statement piece. A heavyweight knockout punch in Australian abalone shell. The tableau of the M1000 is large enough but Pelikan decided to inlay enormous, unbroken, mega wide (>2 mm) stripes of perfectly sharply cut shell the likes of which I've never seen. Pelikan and the aritst are screaming look what we've done! This pen lays down the raden law.

49923408723_b40bbbfb8f_k.jpgIMG_4975 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49923927651_51cae83172_k.jpgIMG_4974 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

Remarkably, the pen retains a feeling of smoothness despite the huge, wide raden inlay. The urushi is thick. You can see it rise up from the level of the ink window. This version of the M1000 has a diameter over 1 mm greater than a standard M1000, a difference that is seen and felt. It's a muscular M1000. Otherwise, it handles and writes like any other M1000. Mine has a Fine nib and writes the expected smooth, wet line. There is no babies bottom as is sometimes found on Pelikan nibs.

49923927901_db136bc339_h.jpgIMG_4982 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49931501563_701b237c5b_k.jpgIMG_4996 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49924234947_949f019aa2_k.jpgIMG_4977 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49924234967_a2bf3ea7c3_k.jpgIMG_4978 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

Packaging is simple but nicely done. The Paulownia wood box is typical of Japanese craft art and is labeled with the name of pen in the center but the rest of the script could not be translated by my Google phone app.

49923409028_c71351044e_k.jpgIMG_4989 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49923928201_6c2f78516b_k.jpgIMG_4991 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49923928441_7899ebe1d9_k.jpgIMG_4993 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49923928666_ed9c5020a5_k.jpgIMG_4995 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

My other raden pens pale in comparison to this Green Ray. The Platinum Izumo Aurora also features super wide (~2 mm) raden inlay but the Green Ray stripes are wider and more perfectly cut. The Izumo is a superb pen, it just lacks the perfection of the M1000. My Bokumondoh custom M600 raden Aurora is lovely and eye catching but there is no comparison with the excellence of the M1000. With these pens as comparison pieces the artistry of the Green Ray shines brightly and the price, in comparison is justified.

49931501158_62b472881d_k.jpgIMG_4997 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49932322832_19bf93577f_k.jpgIMG_4998 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49932011611_e77ce8cac3_k.jpgIMG_4999 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49932011891_db4e8df600_h.jpgIMG_5001 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• whichwatch

• freakman

• Mulrich

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be a similiar one with different shell color(in fact it's with different urushi color at the back of the shell) released next year.

But I'm not sure if it will still be released on time due to the virus spread.

I'm very jealous! What a magnificent pen! Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

There will be a similiar one with different shell color(in fact it's with different urushi color at the back of the shell) released next year.

But I'm not sure if it will still be released on time due to the virus spread.

Cool, thanks for the alert. Starting with green is logical as green is the classic color of the binde.

Cool, thanks for the alert. Starting with green is logical as green is the classic color of the binde.

Yes, the next one has a color like ivory, a new kind of color from Pelikan.

Fantastic pen, wonderful iridescence, and really nice presentation. Pelikan really does these high end specials really well. It is super expensive although I am sure it will only appreciate in value. 🙂

Wow! Beautiful pen and excellent photos (one can really see the thickness of the urushi!).

Congrats!

Absolutely gorgeous pen! I feel coming pain in my wallet!

Uhhh.... make that CURRENT pain. Your pictures pushed me over the edge!

Uhhh.... make that CURRENT pain. Your pictures pushed me over the edge!

Sorry! :-) You will enjoy it I'm sure.

The marketing materials did not do this pen justice. I am far more impressed with the above photos and now see this pen in a new light. Very impressive.

Thanks for the review. The large strips of raden are, indeed, attractive. It is also very interesting to see the detail of how think the pen had to be made to accommodate these strips and be smooth. a wonderful detail to share! :thumbup:

Also, just throwing out that Danitrio was able to use the large, wide uncut raden strips on a large pen many years ago - the Kaijin. While most of the pens were decorated with ornate maki-e on the top, there were 3 left undecorated from the production run. For size comparison, the other pens are all about the size of an MB 149. Fro left to right: Kaijin, Cumlaude, Denshi, and Takumi models.

fpn_1590454956__screenshot_20200525-1650

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks for the review. The large strips of raden are, indeed, attractive. It is also very interesting to see the detail of how think the pen had to be made to accommodate these strips and be smooth. a wonderful detail to share! :thumbup:

Also, just throwing out that Danitrio was able to use the large, wide uncut raden strips on a large pen many years ago - the Kaijin. While most of the pens were decorated with ornate maki-e on the top, there were 3 left undecorated from the production run. For size comparison, the other pens are all about the size of an MB 149. Fro left to right: Kaijin, Cumlaude, Denshi, and Takumi models.

fpn_1590454956__screenshot_20200525-1650

Right on, thanks for the picture. I've seen the those raden Danitrio with maki-e. They too are very impressive and in a totally another level of price than the Peikan! The Dani is more raden clad than inlaid. I wonder about the details of the craft. For example, how large can one get Australian Abalone versus other types of shell? What are the challenges? How does the artist accomplish their tasks? Etc.

Since I mostly collect Danitrio I've long looked to add one of the raden walls to my collection. Cool you have an undecorated version.