Efnir: Kyo-No-Oto Aonibi

LizEF

@ yazeh -- I picked up a bottle of Blue Upon the Plains of Abraham a few years ago on a trip to Toronto for a conference (fighting Friday night rush hour all the way from Hamilton, after getting stuck in construction on the US side of the Peace Bridge :wacko:) and then fighting my way BACK through OUTBOUND Friday night rush hour traffic to get to the airport (the conference was at a hotel at the airport, since people were coming in from all over). Interesting color, but the ink is fairly dry.

OTOH, I would definitely do it again just for another chance to go to Wonder Pens (once I actually FOUND it, that is) and of course when I was coming back across the border on Sunday and got to US Customs I was able to declare "I bought a bottle of ink...." B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: I should dig that bottle of BUTPoA out again at some point....

Thanks Ruth.

I love wonder pens. Ive never been three but buy from the often.

It's funny you say, it's dry and I heard from other sources that it's wet or very wet, and paradoxically some say it has the constancy of tar (It reminds me of Kung Te-Cheng)

My experience with Noodler's is that inks that shade/ partially bullet proof, take a long time to dry on good paper (Black Swan/ Golden Brown /Kiowa Pecan).

And I don't like that....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did another comparison of Aonibi with 54th on Tomoe River....

Interestingly 54 did a little sheen number, which is not obvious in the scan, obviously :)

Aonibi -54th.jpeg

Edited by yazeh

I did another comparison of Aonibi with 54th on Tomoe River....

Interestingly 54 did a little sheen number, which is not obvious in the scan, obviously :)

Nice! This one makes the inks look a lot more similar. But I'm strong! I will resist. Resist, I say! ;)

Thanks much for the review. Still being on the trail of blue-black, I am interested. It looks to me like Kyo No Oto Aonibi DOES have hint of green, which I would like to avoid.

For example to my eye Shin-Kai has green in it. So, does anyone have either Shin-Kai or Pelikan 4001 Blue Black to compare this to? 4001 is just about perfect (except it doesn't have the Sailor smoothness).

On 5/25/2020 at 10:27 AM, GreenMountain said:

Thanks much for the review. Still being on the trail of blue-black, I am interested. It looks to me like Kyo No Oto Aonibi DOES have hint of green, which I would like to avoid.

For example to my eye Shin-Kai has green in it. So, does anyone have either Shin-Kai or Pelikan 4001 Blue Black to compare this to? 4001 is just about perfect (except it doesn't have the Sailor smoothness).

You're welcome! To me, this doesn't seem to have green in it (and I usually see green where others don't - which isn't to say your eyes don't see even more green than mine). I don't want to ink up either of these again, but here's the swab from the stickers I put on top of my sample vials:

large.ShinKaiAonibi.jpg.02b94911edb6f96dbdbd31132b1bab9f.jpg

Shin Kai is on the left, Aonibi on the right. And comparatively, Shin Kai is more toward purple and Aonibi is more toward green.

http://www.paradoxcommunity.com/vps/EFNIR/KyoNoOtoAonibiZ.jpg

Very nice and subtle.

Thank you for sharing.

Inked

Edited by Inked

Very nice and subtle.

Thank you for sharing.

Inked

You're welcome!

[Pelikan v Aonibi pics]

Thanks for the added reference, nibtip! :)

Two amongst my favorite inks. And with the right pen don't feel dry at all.

Blau Schwarz has good water resistance, Aonibi has none.

Nice! This one makes the inks look a lot more similar. But I'm strong! I will resist. Resist, I say! ;)

Don't worry. It only shades on Tomoe River. :)

And my guess is that it'll turn your EF into a Fne/Medium with no shading on other papers.....:)

Don't worry. It only shades on Tomoe River. :)

And my guess is that it'll turn your EF into a Fne/Medium with no shading on other papers..... :)

:thumbup: Thank you!

IMG-1029.jpg

IMG-1030.jpg
IMG-1031.jpg
IMG-1032.jpg
IMG-1033.jpg
IMG-1034.jpg

Wow...in comparison, Blau Schwarz looks purple and Aonibi blue. Whereas on the caps Aonibi does look more teal. Thanks to LizEF and Nibtip for the info. Now I'm torn!

I'll have to think of a really unpleasant job that when completed will merit the purchase of yet another Blue-Black! How about sorting out a chicken coop full of stored papers? (Racoon got the chickens many years ago so it turned into yet a storage shed.)

Wow...in comparison, Blau Schwarz looks purple and Aonibi blue. Whereas on the caps Aonibi does look more teal. Thanks to LizEF and Nibtip for the info. Now I'm torn!

Samples are your friends. :lol:

• 6 months later...

I added this image to YouTube (link in the description or a comment), but thought I should add it here too, just for reference - Aonibi in two of my other pens - Pelikan Souveran m405, F and Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog, EF:

large.KyoNoOtoAonibiOtherNibs.jpg.648d083790c1754da31babd3f15aa738.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here's a new "line width" image taken at 100x under a real microscope of one of the lines used to test dry time. The scale marked 330µm is divided into 33µm increments. The black grid is in 100µm increments. For this ink, the line width is roughly 264µm.

[ETA: I'm an idiot... When I started, the line was 300µm, with 10 divisions of 30µm each. When I changed the scale to 330µm, I spaced on the fact that the divisions would then be 33µm... :rolleyes:  Numbers now updated.]

large.KyoNoOtoAonibiLW.jpg.3ade933267fadd019ec7f37da8e45e49.jpg

My goodness…this is one I missed, until now.   Right up my color alley, AND tippity-tap!

Made me smile.  Thanks.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

46 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

My goodness…this is one I missed, until now.   Right up my color alley, AND tippity-tap!

Made me smile.  Thanks.

:) Yeah, this would definitely be up your alley.  And from your reaction, I listened to this and my latest (Hanging Lake) and was surprised how much louder this one is.  I don't remember doing anything to alter the volume of the video.  Maybe I'll adjust my process so the volume of the tippety taps is a little louder from now on.

Very happy to have made you smile. :)  You're most welcome.