Efnir: Kyo-No-Oto Aonibi

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Kyo No Oto Aonibi

This is review #15 in my series, with 100+ to go... Here's the YouTube video:

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.KyoNoOtoAonibi.jpg.4c95a3b508a3696a4678b6325d87ad86.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.KyoNoOtoAonibiS.jpg.1ddf70b0fbbdca4abb02b9a4e5f07213.jpg

Zoomed in photo:

large.KyoNoOtoAonibiZ.jpg.9c30f35260da53058aedf33e6cf7ae88.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Herbin Poussiere de Lune.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That’s a rather interesting colour :)

Is it as waterproof as Salix?

Does it fade as much as Salix does?

It doesn't seem to me to give as much shading as Salix does, but that might be a function of the fact that it is more grey->grey and less blue->grey than Salix.

(In case anyone cannot tell, I like Salix. A lot. So am saddened when its lovely colour fades away.)

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Great review Liz....

Holy Grail, that's the great part of samples, you find the unexpected treasure.. :)

BTW what happened to Akkerman Oranje Boven on your list? Is it the next one?

Edited by yazeh

This is one I've wanted to try for a couple of years now -- but it kept being out of stock at the few online retailers that were carrying the line at the time. Now of course, after this review, I fear it will be back out of stock AGAIN....

Thanks for the review -- and not....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That’s a rather interesting colour :)

Is it as waterproof as Salix?

Does it fade as much as Salix does?

It doesn't seem to me to give as much shading as Salix does, but that might be a function of the fact that it is more grey->grey and less blue->grey than Salix.

(In case anyone cannot tell, I like Salix. A lot. So am saddened when its lovely colour fades away.)

Neither advertising nor other reviews suggested it was water-resistant, so I didn't test. Other reviews show poor water resistance. I have no idea if it fades. That would take a much longer-term test. I've pondered setting up some lightfast testing, but haven't done it yet. Given how long it takes, I would do that separate from these reviews.

I'd say Salix and Aonibi shade about the same - both are excellent.

Great review Liz....

Holy Grail, that's the great part of samples, you find the unexpected treasure.. :)

BTW what happened to Akkerman Oranje Boven on your list? Is it the next one?

Thanks! Yes, ink samples are fabulous, and "grail ink" is why I have so many blue-grey and blue-black inks - hunting for "the one". :lol: Somewhere along the way, I've come to just enjoy the variety. I'll probably put Aonibi in my London Fog and let that decide whether I buy a bottle.

Oranje Boven is review #18. I recorded the video just last night. :) Tuesday, 02 June 2020 would be the soonest it would publish, Tuesday, 09 June 2020 the latest. It all depends on whether I can keep up - some weeks I have to only post one because I'm obsessive about using the same pen for every review, and can't record two videos per week and still give the ink a fair shake. I like to give them 4-5 days.

This is one I've wanted to try for a couple of years now -- but it kept being out of stock at the few online retailers that were carrying the line at the time. Now of course, after this review, I fear it will be back out of stock AGAIN....

Thanks for the review -- and not....

Vanness, Anderson, and Pen Chalet all have samples in stock at the moment... JetPens have bottles (no samples), but under the name "Takeda Jimuki Kyo No Oto Aonibi Ink". (Seems like the name on this one has changed since it first appeared, originally, just Kyo No Oto, then Kyoto TAG Kyo No Oto, now Takeda Jimuki (in some places).)

I found it interesting how thin a line this ink writes. That was unique to this ink so far. Seems like it would be a good ink for anyone who really needed their line to stay crisp and thin.

Sorry, not sorry. ;)

And, you're welcome, either way! :D

Thanks! Yes, ink samples are fabulous, and "grail ink" is why I have so many blue-grey and blue-black inks - hunting for "the one". :lol: Somewhere along the way, I've come to just enjoy the variety. I'll probably put Aonibi in my London Fog and let that decide whether I buy a bottle.

Oranje Boven is review #18. I recorded the video just last night. :) Tuesday, 02 June 2020 would be the soonest it would publish, Tuesday, 09 June 2020 the latest. It all depends on whether I can keep up - some weeks I have to only post one because I'm obsessive about using the same pen for every review, and can't record two videos per week and still give the ink a fair shake. I like to give them 4-5 days.

Oh, good to know about Oranje Boven, I've been voting furiously for that ;)

If you like a wet blue black that doesn't shade, you might want to look into 54th Massachusetts.

Very, very wet ink. Though it doesn't shade, but colour close to Aonibi. :)

Oh, good to know about Oranje Boven, I've been voting furiously for that ;)

If you like a wet blue black that doesn't shade, you might want to look into 54th Massachusetts.

Very, very wet ink. Though it doesn't shade, but colour close to Aonibi. :)

Ah, so you're the one who keeps delaying poor Sailor Nioi-Sumire! ;)

Nope, non-shading inks are not for me. Shading is probably my very favorite thing about using fountain pens. :wub: My non-FP friends think I'm a weirdo.

Shading is probably my very favorite thing about using fountain pens. :wub: My non-FP friends think I'm a weirdo.

I was thinking of this just last evening. Which of your nibs, would you say, best renders this charachteristic?

Add lightness and simplicate.

Ah, so you're the one who keeps delaying poor Sailor Nioi-Sumire! ;)

Nope, non-shading inks are not for me. Shading is probably my very favorite thing about using fountain pens. :wub: My non-FP friends think I'm a weirdo.

Probably!

I understand....

In retrospect the colours don't look as similar....

Also, if you're into blue/blacks, you might look into fountain pen revolutions blue black, you might like it. It shades ;)

I had a pen with Aonibi before, so I did a comparison with 54th Massachusetts....

With with a wide fude nib on Jinhao 450 on Rhodia dot pad.

Hope you don't mind... :)

Aonibi - 54th Massachusttes.jpeg

Edited by yazeh

Probably!

I understand....

In retrospect the colours don't look as similar....

Also, if you're into blue/blacks, you might look into fountain pen revolutions blue black, you might like it. It shades ;)

I had a pen with Aonibi before, so I did a comparison with 54th Massachusetts....

With with a wide fude nib on Jinhao 450 on Rhodia dot pad.

Hope you don't mind... :)

Arg, another blue black to investigate (FPR one). Must resist....

Meanwhile, thank you for the image! Love having more to compare. IMO, Aonibi wins! :D Now I can't wait to put it in my London Fog - it's going to look fabulous gushing out of that thing. :wub:

I was thinking of this just last evening. Which of your nibs, would you say, best renders this charachteristic?

Hmm. This may require investigation. Back in a while. :)

OK, I'm back... I'm not sure I can answer this. Basically, everything shades, with the right ink in it. Looking through my ink log and swatch cards, it really does seem like the ink is the biggest contributor. The EF nibs are most subtle in shading and if the ink is a weak shader, you won't see it in these nibs. Broader nibs make it more obvious (I do have 3 broad nibs and 4 stubs). Nibs that seem to shade pretty consistently are:

• Anything with Sailor Sei Boku in it :lol:
  • Waterman Laureat, F
  • Pelikan m405, F (AKA, M :rolleyes: )
  • Lamy Al-Star, EF (B and 1.1 stub also)
  • Sailor Pro Gear Slim, F

...but it could be that I put more variety of inks in those. The Al-Star is my "I'm not sure if I trust this ink" pen.

Arg, another blue black to investigate (FPR one). Must resist....

Meanwhile, thank you for the image! Love having more to compare. IMO, Aonibi wins! :D Now I can't wait to put it in my London Fog - it's going to look fabulous gushing out of that thing. :wub:

Don't forget to post some scans :)

Oh and another blue-black slightly more different to find and bulletproof is Noodler's Blue Upon The Plains of Abraham, a Canadian release...

:D

:D

Must you look so proud of yourself? :SMH:

Don't hold your breath on the Visconti writing samples. I'll do it eventually, but I have other ink to use up first. :)

i bought a full bottle of this ink on a whim when it was "offered" as i completed an on line order. I'm so glad I did.. it's a lovely color. under some lights / on some paper I swear I see a hint of green but I'm not even sure that's not my eyes. keep meaning to try chromatography but never seem to get to it... regardless... I really enjoy this ink

This looks like a really nice blue-black, that shades even with your EF nibs. I have tried a number of TAG Kyoto inks, and they all seem to share that delicate & elegant look. The ones I’ve tried up to now are dry or very dry, but that’s easily corrected by using a wet pen. A very fine ink series!

OK, I'm back... I'm not sure I can answer this. Basically, everything shades, with the right ink in it. Looking through my ink log and swatch cards, it really does seem like the ink is the biggest contributor. The EF nibs are most subtle in shading and if the ink is a weak shader, you won't see it in these nibs. Broader nibs make it more obvious (I do have 3 broad nibs and 4 stubs). Nibs that seem to shade pretty consistently are:

• Anything with Sailor Sei Boku in it :lol:
  • Waterman Laureat, F
  • Pelikan m405, F (AKA, M :rolleyes: )
  • Lamy Al-Star, EF (B and 1.1 stub also)
  • Sailor Pro Gear Slim, F

...but it could be that I put more variety of inks in those. The Al-Star is my "I'm not sure if I trust this ink" pen.

Thank you Liz!!

Add lightness and simplicate.

@ yazeh -- I picked up a bottle of Blue Upon the Plains of Abraham a few years ago on a trip to Toronto for a conference (fighting Friday night rush hour all the way from Hamilton, after getting stuck in construction on the US side of the Peace Bridge :wacko:) and then fighting my way BACK through OUTBOUND Friday night rush hour traffic to get to the airport (the conference was at a hotel at the airport, since people were coming in from all over). Interesting color, but the ink is fairly dry.

OTOH, I would definitely do it again just for another chance to go to Wonder Pens (once I actually FOUND it, that is) and of course when I was coming back across the border on Sunday and got to US Customs I was able to declare "I bought a bottle of ink...." B)

ETA: I should dig that bottle of BUTPoA out again at some point....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."