• Helen350

• Mech-for-i

• Bikerchick

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mallymal1 said:

My 308 certainly does, with no modifications. 👍

Very good to hear! (I'm always looking for non-Lamy pens that take Lamy cartridges) 🙂 Will try a Lamy cartridge next time I fill one of my 308s 🌷 Thanks!

This weekend I pulled out a Jinhao 599 that’s been on the bench for a while to test a new ink. I think I got it for $2 (or less) from China with free delivery. I started writing and ,16 pages later, ran it dry. I have to say that Jinhao has surprised me with their pens. 

On 10/4/2021 at 2:56 AM, KB3K said:

This weekend I pulled out a Jinhao 599 that’s been on the bench for a while to test a new ink. I think I got it for $2 (or less) from China with free delivery. I started writing and ,16 pages later, ran it dry. I have to say that Jinhao has surprised me with their pens. 

I have had that experience on many occasions with Jinhao pens.   They don't impress those

who are use to higher quality pens, but they write, and they write and write.  Another decent,

inexpensive Jinhao pen is the little 166.  They would be perfect for school, or for a young

person to own in learning to appreciate writing with a fountain pen, or to pop in the purse for

signature needs while away from home.  The last four I purchased for $.70/pen with shipping

for $1.86 ($5.20)  Comes with either an EF or F nib.  The fine writes like a fine/med.  The 166

is a charm and I now own 6 of them.  Got two currently inked with Chesterfield Antique Yankee

and Akkerman Scharlaken van Jan Steen.  Purchased pens on Aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000971813993.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2a5a4c4d9IoZya

Those Jinhao 166’s look nice. I’ve never heard much said about them but I might have to pick a couple up. I honestly have never felt cheated by a Jinhao. I had a 992 with an incredible nib that I used constantly until it cracked apart, but the nib now resides in my wife’s Jinhao shark that had a usable, but mediocre nib.

I just received a wing sung 601 in the mail, so far I like it, it writes pretty smooth it’s comfortable with good balance and fit for my hand. I also have a penbbs 456 o he way I’m excited and hope it writes as well as the 601.

Starting my Kaco Edge ( original version ) inked with Lamy Petrol , curiously my original version Edge seems standing fine when everybody else's crack ..

33641749598_5831821745_k.jpgKaco Edge, on Flickr

17 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

Starting my Kaco Edge ( original version ) inked with Lamy Petrol , curiously my original version Edge seems standing fine when everybody else's crack ..

33641749598_5831821745_k.jpgKaco Edge, on Flickr

The grip of that pen looks like it has an interesting texture. Does it give a bit of extra traction? The whole pen looks like it is pretty non reflective and wouldn’t attract fingerprints. I’m a fan. You just added another pen to my wish list if users of the new model aren’t having cracking problems. I also like the look of the clip but wonder how functional it is. 

4 hours ago, KB3K said:

The grip of that pen looks like it has an interesting texture. Does it give a bit of extra traction? The whole pen looks like it is pretty non reflective and wouldn’t attract fingerprints. I’m a fan. You just added another pen to my wish list if users of the new model aren’t having cracking problems. I also like the look of the clip but wonder how functional it is. 

Yes the texture do add extra traction and the pen , in real , was somewhat Satin, semi gloss and not really reflective. It's from most users that the current production model had solve the cracking but the black one are less black than this original version. 

As for the clip, well it's good as a roll stop , clipping is definitely not quite there though it can be with a bit of fiddling around.

Today I've been using an acrylic grey Jinhao 51a with an art nib.

In the same little tray of pens I have another in "sunset" tones with a Bobby nib and a plain wine red one with an EF. All three are hooded nibs.

There's an empty space for another pen in the tray... is there another hooded pen in a similar shaped pen available with a different nib or nib grind without having to order a custom grind?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

1 minute ago, AmandaW said:

Today I've been using an acrylic grey Jinhao 51a with an art nib.

In the same little tray of pens I have another in "sunset" tones with a Bobby nib and a plain wine red one with an EF. All three are hooded nibs.

There's an empty space for another pen in the tray... is there another hooded pen in a similar shaped pen available with a different nib or nib grind without having to order a custom grind?

Hooded nib pen with classic Parker 51 styling is numerous among Chinese fountain pen models both vintage and current. 

For recommending such , I say the Wing Sung 601 with Fine nib tops it all , Kaco Retro is a contemporary modern take on the styling. Hero's A0503, 616S, 616+, and of course numerous vintage model .. 

Chinese fountain pen Mfr just do not do grind the fashion others do, it's usually EF, F and Calligraphy ( aka fuse , aka art ) . There are other grind either from the Mfr or independent parts and the Mfr's consent is that users always welcome to just go out and buy their preferable one and swap the parts in 

37 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Some Chinese pens come (optionally) with different widths for their bent nibs. However, I can't tell you whether the Jinhao 51A is readily available with a wider (or, against all likelihood, a significantly narrower) width for bent nibs.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

28 minutes ago, Mech-for-i said:

Hooded nib pen with classic Parker 51 styling is numerous among Chinese fountain pen models both vintage and current. 

For recommending such , I say the Wing Sung 601 with Fine nib tops it all , Kaco Retro is a contemporary modern take on the styling. Hero's A0503, 616S, 616+, and of course numerous vintage model .. 

Chinese fountain pen Mfr just do not do grind the fashion others do, it's usually EF, F and Calligraphy ( aka fuse , aka art ) . There are other grind either from the Mfr or independent parts and the Mfr's consent is that users always welcome to just go out and buy their preferable one and swap the parts in 

What about the Thyer edition of the Jinhao 911, or would you consider that a custom grind? 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

Thankyou! Back from the rabbit warren of Wing Sung 601 reviews and videos... I have ordered a grey one with the updated filling mechanism.

The only downside is the expected delivery date of Jan 6th... :unsure:

16 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

What about the Thyer edition of the Jinhao 911, or would you consider that a custom grind? 

Thanks for mentioning the Thyer edition of the Jinhao 911. I didn’t know they existed. I love my regular 911 (though it has some quirks) but a tweaked version sound interesting. I’m not seeing them from my go-to pen retailers though. Any recommendations on reliable sources?

Another Wing Sung 601 recommendation! I’ve wanted one since the first run (which had some issues) then they came back with an even stronger model, and everyone is enjoying 601’s but me…(you can’t see me right now, but I look very sad.😉)

Any advice on how to convince my wife I need a Kaco Edge, Thyer 911, and Wing Sung 601 when I already have more pens than I can keep inked?

I have a whole shiver of Jinhao Sharks. I could give some away 🤔, but then I wouldn’t have them 😒. (I had to look up what a group of sharks was called. There were five choices. “Frenzy” was a close second to “shiver.” I thought ”school” might be right, and it is, but even “gam” beat “school.”) I actually gave a Shark to a nephew today… so I share!😇

Sorry for the excessive emojis … I must have caught a case of teenager… or grandma. Well, both are great, so I’ll live.

17 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

Me too. Just cos I'm getting a Wing Sung 601 doesn't mean I have to not think of the Jinhao 911 as well (Christmas is a good excuse reason, after all) if I can find the Thyer one.

20 minutes ago, KB3K said:

Any advice on how to convince my wife I need a...

By pointing out how inexpensive a collection of Chinese fountain pens is when compared to race cars, advanced wood working or similar hobbies? After all, actually writing with them isn't part of the justification after the first one (and maybe a spare). It's about study and display. Or something like that. I gave up a long time ago and just try to keep it reasonable. :wacko:

25 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

By pointing out how inexpensive a collection of Chinese fountain pens is when compared to race cars, advanced wood working or similar hobbies? After all, actually writing with them isn't part of the justification after the first one (and maybe a spare). It's about study and display. Or something like that. I gave up a long time ago and just try to keep it reasonable. :wacko:

That’s a pretty good idea… but I play instruments, a lot of instruments (not particularly well though, I’m more of a quantity over quality guy). My wife may prefer the pens though. They take up less space.

10 hours ago, AmandaW said:

if I can find the Thyer one.

There is a link in this review. You'll need a Taobao agent though, which begs the question: is it worth getting this pen? I'll let you be the judge of that, but I'm sure the review will help. 

11 hours ago, KB3K said:

I must have caught a case of teenager

Oh no. Is it contagious? ;)

11 hours ago, KB3K said:

Any advice on how to convince my wife I need a Kaco Edge, Thyer 911, and Wing Sung 601 when I already have more pens than I can keep inked?

Just tell her that you're thinking about switching hobbies and you're planning on collecting German U-boats. Or hairless cats. 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion