Phaeton, Hooded Nib Esterbrook

pajaro

Red with a steel cap hooded nib Esterbrook with a squeeze converter. Thinner than the usual Esterbrook. Something else to investigate.

fpn_1589934387__img_20200519_200037.jpg

fpn_1589934468__img_20200519_200115.jpg

fpn_1589934509__img_20200519_200133.jpg

fpn_1589934621__img_20200519_200204.jpg

fpn_1589934745__img_20200519_200307.jpg

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Estycollector

• gweimer1

• Gloucesterman

I think this is a C/C pen. The converter comes out, and I believe you can insert a cartridge. Generally, good luck with that, but I think I have used Lamy cartridges in a Safari Esterbook cartridge pen. The Phaeton pens are a bit pricey.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

The pictured Phaeton is not the new Phaeton 300R. It is a vintage pen.

Thank you for posting a photo. I had never seen the vintage ones. The new ones have mixed reviews. I found and restored with a #16 sac a Venus lever fill a few month back that writes very smoothly. However, it appear to be a bit fatter in appearance. I have not seen one since or seen one in as good a condition.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I posted this pen because we seem to have new people interested in Esterbrook, and I thought it would be interesting to see pics of something you don't run into every day. Nice to see what one looks like in case you do run across it. Working converters for vintage Phaeton are worth having. I think they can be resacced. I would recommend a synthetic sac, PVC or silicone, in lieu of a latex sac for longer life. I do not think outgassing from a PVC sac is likely to harm a vintage Esterbrook Phaeton.

The Venus is also interesting. Neither the Venus with hooded nib nor the vintage Esterbrook Phaeton were made in large quantities, so they are both scarce at this late date.

Edited by pajaro

I posted this pen because we seem to have new people interested in Esterbrook, and I thought it would be interesting to see pics of something you don't run into every day. Nice to see what one looks like in case you do run across it. Working converters for vintage Phaeton are worth having. I think they can be resacced. I would recommend a synthetic sac, PVC or silicone, in lieu of a latex sac for longer life. I do not think outgassing from a PVC sac is likely to harm a vintage Esterbrook Phaeton.

The Venus is also interesting. Neither the Venus with hooded nib nor the vintage Esterbrook Phaeton were made in large quantities, so they are both scarce at this late date.

Thank you for the history of the Venus hooded nib and Phaeton. The Venus has really been a pleaser. I used a #16 sac to replace the petrified one. I have no idea if it was the original. I got interested in Venus because they purchased Esterbrook. From a purely engineering perspective, when posting the cap, it tends to want to slid up under the lever.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

The vintage Esterbrook Phaetons are likely to have asking prices higher than the new 300R Phaetons. There is a desk version of the vintage pen on eBay for about $199. So, if you see a vintage Phaeton more favorably priced, you might want to consider adding it to your collection. I don't know what my pen is worth, and I don't care, it is just an interesting collectible. If you see a vintage Phaeton with a working converter, it will be worth more. Just to give you some info on these pens that are not often mentioned, and give you some info to help you decide if a vintage Phaeton is worth buying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for posting that picture. I have never seen one like it. Quite like it and will keep an eye open for one that I can afford. Lord knows I have pleanty of extra nibs! :D

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• 2 weeks later...

I need to dig out my Phaeton desk pen and post some photos.

I would like to see it, the desk pen. I would think it is rarer.

You need the gold trim version to make the set...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

That's a striking desk pen. What does/did the stand look like?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Here's the desk pen.

fpn_1596082818__esterbrook_phaeton_deskp

fpn_1596082876__esterbrook_phaeton_deskp

Quite like the nib aspect of that pen. Thank you for posting it.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I only have the pen for this one.

What a shame.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I dont know for sure what base is correct. Ive never found a pen with a base but I did find a nearly full box of pens once. They are out there Mulder.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Here's the desk pen.

fpn_1596082818__esterbrook_phaeton_deskp

fpn_1596082876__esterbrook_phaeton_deskp

Thanks for posting the pic. That's quite interesting, as I had never seen one as far as I can remember, but I lead a sheltered life.

Edited by pajaro