• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Signum1

• Mew

• challer61

• amberleadavis

Great review.

What did you do with the second pen?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Superb review and great handwriting!

I also have a question: is the unscrewing of the end cap that is seen in your pictures enough for uninterrupted ink flow or more is needed?

nice review, thanks.

Are you happy with the degree of stubbieness? Is this what you had in mind when ordering? (I'm asking since I'd have expected a lot more line variation than I can see in the written text)

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Great review.

What did you do with the second pen?

Well Amber....I sold the Streamline to a fellow pen enthusiast for CASH.

Superb review and great handwriting!

I also have a question: is the unscrewing of the end cap that is seen in your pictures enough for uninterrupted ink flow or more is needed?

adim, the answer to your question is yes.

nice review, thanks.

Are you happy with the degree of stubbieness? Is this what you had in mind when ordering? (I'm asking since I'd have expected a lot more line variation than I can see in the written text)

KaB, have you written with a cursive italic nib for one whole page non-stop? Does your hand get tire writing with a cursive italic nib?

I have another stub nib by Max from Penboard.de on a MB 146. The result is the same as what you're seeing with the Conid stub. Both the MB 146 and Kingsize are Broad nibs: 0.8mm.

Yes! I'm happy with the nib. You probably want to order a cursive italic grind for more line variations.

Nice review of a great pen. I have one with the same nib. It makes me very happy.

I particularly liked your the shape of your number "2" in the headers and the "D" in the subtitle for Dimensions. Lovely.

I had 2 kingsize conids, a monarch and a titanium demonstrator. Despite whatever others say about how great these pens are, I never quite liked them much to keep them.

I had 2 kingsize conids, a monarch and a titanium demonstrator. Despite whatever others say about how great these pens are, I never quite liked them much to keep them.

Some elaborations regarding your dislikes about your kingsize experiences would [be] helpful to us.

Edit: grammar.

Edited by Signum1

Some elaborations regarding your dislikes about your kingsize experiences would [be] helpful to us.

Edit: grammar.

1. Generic nib - I can put the same nib in a $300 pen.

2. No special materials. Blue pearl was decent, but still acrylic.

3. Filling system - Conid claims that it simplifies cleaning process. Yet I have to disassemble the pen after every fill to clean out some residue on the plunger and rod, and just above the smaller reservoir.

4. Filling system 2 - the advantage of filling system is that it holds more than a standard amount of ink and wont leak in a flight. Pilot custom 823 does the same at fraction of a cost.

5. It does feel better in hand than other regular pens, but at this price you get a large variety of better pens.

It may be well made, but a pen has to be more than just that. Ease of cleaning, feel in hand, material, nib etc. I find the modern decoband to be a much nicer option, with 2ml ink capacity, heft, and if you look hard enough you may be able to find their special editions in Omas celluloids. Nib has a decent amount to flex.

This is just one example, there are many more.

3. Filling system - Conid claims that it simplifies cleaning process. Yet I have to disassemble the pen after every fill to clean out some residue on the plunger and rod, and just above the smaller reservoir.

4. Filling system 2 - the advantage of filling system is that it holds more than a standard amount of ink and wont leak in a flight. Pilot custom 823 does the same at fraction of a cost.

5. It does feel better in hand than other regular pens, but at this price you get a large variety of better pens.

It may be well made, but a pen has to be more than just that. Ease of cleaning, feel in hand, material, nib etc. I find the modern decoband to be a much nicer option, with 2ml ink capacity, heft, and if you look hard enough you may be able to find their special editions in Omas celluloids. Nib has a decent amount to flex.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

What does your perfect pen looks like? Do you have this perfect pen at hand now?

1 - True for nearly every pen. It's common topic here. The problems with my Namiki was I couldn't change the nib with ease. With a Bock pen, I can tune it, modify it, change it. One pen is a dozen.

2 - The special editions are amazing, yet this is a personal thing

3 - Demonstrating the ease of cleaning a maintenance. That there is residue is more an ink thing then a pen thing. I've never had to clean residue on any of mine.

4 - 1.5 vs 3 ml is not equivalent by my measure

5 - the most important element for me

1 - True for nearly every pen. It's common topic here. The problems with my Namiki was I couldn't change the nib with ease. With a Bock pen, I can tune it, modify it, change it. One pen is a dozen.

2 - The special editions are amazing, yet this is a personal thing

3 - Demonstrating the ease of cleaning a maintenance. That there is residue is more an ink thing then a pen thing. I've never had to clean residue on any of mine.

4 - 1.5 vs 3 ml is not equivalent by my measure

5 - the most important element for me

1. Id just get another pen. I never replaced nibs on my conids anyway. Namiki arent generic nibs anyway so they arent supposed to swapped.

2. I can count a few - Monarch - meh. That stained section was just getting uglier to look at after every fill.

Antwerppen - looks great in pictures, not so in person

Blue pearl - looks nice. That yellow in the material bothers me but okay, can live with it.

Flanders field - that is perhaps the best pen they made. But it is so because of the material, not because of the Conid manufacturing.

Only considering Kingsize, I never looked at any other model. But yeah, personal preference I guess.

3. Can you tell which inks you used? I have used sailor exclusively which I think is a well regarded ink maker.

4. Conid doesnt give a full fill either. There is air in the section when you put the nib in the bottle to fill in ink. Pull the plunger out and the air in the section is sucked into the barrel and stays at the top of it. You push the ink out and air goes into the section and the cycle repeats. You have to push the air out nib up to get a full fill - 3ml.

You do the same with 823 and you get 2.5ml. Seems close to equivalent now, to me at least.

Just Herbin. I'm strictly black and blue. I'm much more a writer with no artist skills at all.

Flanders was the best but good luck finding one.

Capacity - it takes some learning - I used the demonstrated to figure it out. But I can get the 3ml. The 1.5ml for the 823 is as advertised. If you can get more in, bravo.

As for the nibs, yes generic. But with a good nib tuner, it can be any nib at all to any degree of quality. Conid normally tune custom Bock nibs. They are very good but YMMV. The point was, an advantage of commonly interchangeable nibs, for me, is I can have variety if I want it, for generally cheap. I've shrunk my collection to those four Kingsize plus four Tactile Turn Gist pens (also Bock, but #6) for the field. I have sold off the 70 others.