Greetings From Manchester Uk

InkSpores

Good morning, afternoon or evening! I'm new to both the forum and to fountain pens, I only started my collection last year in February. I'm a criminology nerd, and you'll typically find me rambling about crime novels I've read or documentaries I've binged. Sticking with the theme of pens, I'm always writing or jotting down ideas for stories/characters, along with rambling into my journal.

I've been writing since I were an egg, but couldn't always enjoy it as I had a terrible habit of death gripping my pens and pushing down on paper like I was trying to stab through it. As such, I've had a very on and off relationship with my hobby, until I was recommended a fountain pen to stop me from pushing down, bought a LAMY Safari in an eBay auction, and into the downward spiral of addiction I spun. I've been plowing through ink bottles since!

Over this past year, in terms of pens, I'd say I've really developed a love for my Jinhao X450. I don't feel I need to be delicate with it like I do with my LAMY Studio, so it's the work horse of my small collection. As for inks, because I write a lot I'm pretty boring for my ink preferences: blues and blacks, though occasionally I'll buy a cheeky red. Diamine Red Dragon is a personal favourite, my every day ink is Diamine Eclipse.

Thanks for reading. I've been wanting to try out some oranges or brown inks. Any suggestions?

Edited by InkSpores

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zookie

• Wahl

• MBDostoevsky

• InkSpores

Hello, welcome, and I greatly approve of your choice for daily ink ;)

Try Monteverde Fire Opal and Moonstone for an orange and a brown. More cheaply Diamine Pumpkin and Macassar.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to this friendly corner of the universe from a fountain pen user in San Diego. There is such a wealth of information waiting for you to discover on this site. Write On!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Welcome. Pretty new here myself and find it a very welcoming place.

Greetings and welcome! My favourite oranges are Diamine Autumn Oak, Cult Pens Deep Dark Orange and Noodlers Cayenne for deep, reddish oranges and Sailor’s Kin Mokusei for something a bit more apricoty.

Browns I find more difficult to find the perfect one. Still looking, really ....

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Hi, welcome to the forums!. I would try out the visconti brown if you get the chance. The bottles are a bit of a faff, but the ink is very well behaved and plays nice in my pens.

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the pig

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Welcome to the FPN! It is a great site with so many useful posts. And I have also found that you can post a question and usually someone, somewhere has an answer to the question!

You asked about orange or brown inks. When it comes to inks, I think it is worth paying for quality. I do a lot of writing and go through a 50 ml bottle in about 3 months, so the quality of the ink in terms of colour, drying time, lubrication etc. is very important to me.

I also write with very good quality fountain pens, as (after many experiences) I find cheap pens like Lamys, TWSBI, Jinhaos etc to be good as far as they go but, in the end, never as satisfactory as quality pens. So I mostly write with Pelikan M800s or M600s, or Sailor Pro Gear (regular or large size) or Sailor 1911 Large. It is an expensive habit but worth it...

For orange inks, I would recommend Diamine Autumn Oak or Oxblood (not really orange but a deep blood colour which is wonderful on the page). Iroshizuku inks are, to me, some of the best inks out there and they produce "Yu-Yake" (sunset) which is wonderful. Sailor produce many orange inks- they are very hard to find in the West but there is a shop in London called Choosing Keeping which has them in stock.

I write a lot in brown inks, so here I would have many recommendations. My favourites are Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz, Diamine Macassar and Aurora 100th Anniversary special edition (2019) Sepia brown. Mont Blanc Toffee Brown is very nice too.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to FPN from Calgary. (The one in Canada).

Inks can be almost as much of a rabbit hole as pens, or more sometimes. I can't fault Diamine Ancient Copper, but a nice reddish-brown is Private Reserve Black Cherry.

Sometimes a technology reaches perfection and further development is just tinkering. The fountain pen is a good example of this.

Welcome from upstate New York! Kaweco makes a nice brown, Thornton inks are pretty good as well.

Welcome from upstate New York! Kaweco makes a nice brown, Thornton inks are pretty good as well.

Hi Im in Manchester too. Good to know Im not the only pen lover. Currently using a lamy al star

Greetings from Durham - so far north of Manchester that you are in the far south as far as I am concerned! I bet you grow tropical palm trees and the like.

I'm a really big fan of the Monteverde noir inks. They have a nuanced, sultry look (yes I'm a nerd...) that nothing else quite has. Copper noir is a good dark red. There isn't an orange, but my favourite is Rose noire, best described as smoky violet.

If you like a pen you can press hard with, try the Parker 180 - absolutely designed for people who press hard!

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There

Welcome to the FPN Community

There is a lot to learn here and hopefully you will enjoy your time on this forum.

First pen is your first love... you will never forget it...

• 4 months later...

Hello and welcome to you from.......Manchester (well Greater Manchester but its close enough ! )

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......