Wistful-Ink

I'm on a quest to find the perfect ink for each of many different color and other categories. Here's what I have for greens thus far :)

For greens, I'm looking for two different types of greens:

• Light green - a beautiful vibrant light tea green with lots of shading.
  • Green - a solid green with some shading and/or sheen, not too blue or yellow, and not dark or olive green.

For this review, I've done a comparison of the following inks thus far:

• Diamine - Emerald Ink sample vial
  • Nagasawa Kobe - #19 Minatogawa Lime Ink sample vial
  • Vinta Inks - Sea Kelp Leyte 1944 Ink sample vial
  • Colorverse - Albert Ink sample vial
  • PenBBS - #159 Bitter Herb Ink sample vial
  • Pilot Iroshizuku - Chiku-rin 15 mL ink bottle
  • Diamine Inkvent - Mistletoe 7 mL ink bottle
  • Colorverse - Sea of Tranquility Ink sample vial
  • Monteverde - Olivine Ink sample vial

I'll update with PenBBS Forgive Green, Diamine Elf, Diamine Holly, and Diamine Sherwood Green once I get all of those inked up in every pen.

For each ink, I test on CD Apica notebook, Life Noble notebook, Rhodia dot paper, Tomoe River paper, and HP Premium32 paper. I accidentally bought the cream-colored Life Noble Notebook to use for this, so the colors come out different on that. The pens I'm using are a flex pen (Waterman or Noodler's Creaper with a Waterman nib), Pilot Metropolitan, Lamy Safari, and 2 Nemosine stub pens.

Please ignore my "Green" and "Light Green" headings for pages. That was to help me space out the ink samples in my notebooks, but I didn't always categorize inks properly based on what color I guessed they'd be. I also had to start over on the Chiku-rin because I didn't clean the pen out properly, which made it come out way more yellow than the ink actually is. There are also a few drips and smears from other inks because I'm not super careful about stacking paper.

I'm not particularly concerned with water resistance in general, so I didn't intentionally review that aspect of any ink. I accidentally spilled some water on Diamine Emerald on TR. As you can see, it's not super water resistant, lol.

I had a hard time taking images that looked properly lit and accurately captured the ink colors. Mad props to all those lovely reviews on FPN with beautiful images. If anyone has any tips/suggestions about how they do their ink review photos and uploads, please let me know.

Edited by Wistful-Ink

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wistful-Ink

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

• OCArt

For a vibrant shading light green, Kobe Minatogawa Lime and Pilot Iroshizuku Chiku-rin are my favorites thus far.

The Minatogawa Lime shades beautifully, though it's a bit dark for what I was picturing. Bang-on color for a lime rind though. Chiku-rin is a gorgeous color as well, but I wish it had slightly more shading. Colorverse Albert has great shading, especially with the stub nibs, but it's very yellow and can be too light to read on many papers. PenBBS Bitter Herb is a pretty color as well, though it's not a color I'd see myself using often. It feels like it's halfway between Colorverse Albert and Kobe Minatogawa Lime in terms of color, with maybe a bit of olive green added in.

I might try mixing Minatogawa Lime + Chiku-rin or Minatogawa Lime + Albert to see if I can get the perfect shading + light green color.

For a solid green, I don't think I've found any ink colors I love yet.

Diamine Emerald and Colorverse Sea of Tranquility are nice soothing greens with some shading. Sea of Tranquility was much lighter than I expected based on online images. Vinta Sea Kelp and Monteverde Olivine are both too olive for my tastes. The shading on Vinta Sea Kelp can be quite pretty though, and the color is a great match for seaweed you find on the beach. Diamine Mistletoe has a subtle dark red/brown sheen on the right paper, but it's a little dark and desaturated compared to what I would consider the perfect solid green.

Other green inks I'm hoping to get a sample of in the future:

• Blackstone Lemur Lime
  • Bungubox Tsuyuhikari
  • Callifolio Olivastre
  • De Atramentis Moss Green
  • Diamine Meadow
  • Kobe #34 Suraken Tea Green
  • Kobe #43 Gakuen Toshi Fresh Green
  • Penbbs #159 Wakaba
  • Robert Oster Jade
  • Robert Oster Lemongrass
  • Rohrer & Klingner Alt-goldgrun
  • Rohrer & Klingner Efeublatt
  • Sailor Ink Studios 867
  • Sailor Jentle Waka-uguisu
  • Akkerman 28 Hofkwartier Groen
  • Birmingham Treetop
  • Colorverse Supernatural
  • Kobe #28 Suzuran Green
  • Robert Oster Green Green
  • Robert Oster Green Lime
  • Robert Oster Ryde Green
  • Sailor Ink Studios 967
  • Tono & Lims Earth

Thanks for posting, that's a lot of work!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Interesting range of inks. Forgotten how much I really like Diamine Emerald (some of the other inks, particularly the really yellow-leaning ones, I can pass on).

Thanks for the comprehensive comparison.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This is WONDERFUL!

Thank you!

Don't forget to add these to the green thread too. *See the link in my signature line below.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks for posting your comparisons.

There are some interesting colours here that I need to explore :)

✒️ :happyberet:

Noodler’s Green Marine and Gruene Cactus , Graf Von Faber Castell Viper Green, and Monteverde Yosemite Green are some nice greens that don’t lean too much toward blue or yellow.

• 1 month later...

This Rabbit hole of Green Inks is deeper & wider than even all the different colors of available fountain Inks put together.