Noodlers Ink The Plain's Blue Rainbow

jj9ball

This is a review of my new custom color from Noodlers. Some of you may have seen my previous color Omaha Brown. Every custom fountain pen I build comes with a bottle of ink. Previously I had been sending out Omaha Brown and then I ran out. I went to the fine people at Noodlers and requested another color. My only stipulation this time was that it would be a bright Turquoisey Blue. (Okay, that is a really specific only stipulation I know) Anywho, they agreed and we went back and forth on the details. The end result is what you see in the review below. It turned out that Nathan just combined together many of the properties of Noodlers Navajo Turquoise with Noodlers Blue and came up with what you see here.

The ink is waterproof and does behave pretty well. The only time I have gotten any feathering at all is on Moleskine paper.... which almost everything feathers on. It doesn't bleedthrough and didn't showthrough on any of the papers I've tested it on. It does have some shading depending on what paper you use. I had the most on Rhodia using a pretty flexible Pilot Custom Heritage 92 nib. I could go on, but I am obviously biased :D .

I would love to hear what everyone thinks of the ink. There are 2 ways to get it. You can have a pen made or you can click on the link below and find it at my website. Thanks for looking.

fpn_1589734624__review_1.jpg

fpn_1589734671__review_2.jpg

fpn_1589734832__review_3.jpg

fpn_1589734861__review_4.jpg

fpn_1589734891__review_5.jpg

fpn_1589734928__img_0076.jpg

fpn_1589734983__img_0077.jpg

fpn_1589735028__img_0075.jpg

Come see some of my handmade pens!!!

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jj9ball

• Intensity

• FLZapped

• amberleadavis

Looks really nice: I like the dramatic shading and reasonable water resistance. The hue has a slight green element, right?

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Interesting color. Reminds me a lot of Robert Oster Carbon Fire, which I just got a sample of recently (trying to find something that is close to MB Leo Tolstoy LE; which Carbon Fire is not, and neither is KWZI Walks Over Vistula -- CF is too dark, and WOV is a little too green tinged).

Ruth Morrisson aka insktainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Very impressive ink and a good review. Thanks for posting. I love the color as well as the shading.

what a really great colour!

You and Nathan made some great choices to come up with this! Congrats!

Edited by IThinkIHaveAProblem

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Looks really nice: I like the dramatic shading and reasonable water resistance. The hue has a slight green element, right?

I noticed the greenish tinge too, but only after I compared it against several other inks.... especially the Robert Oster Blues.

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

I like it too!

Looks like a lovely blue :)

Very impressive ink and a good review. Thanks for posting. I love the color as well as the shading.

what a really great colour!

You and Nathan made some great choices to come up with this! Congrats!

Thanks a bunch. I'm happy you guys liked it.

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

Interesting color. Reminds me a lot of Robert Oster Carbon Fire, which I just got a sample of recently (trying to find something that is close to MB Leo Tolstoy LE; which Carbon Fire is not, and neither is KWZI Walks Over Vistula -- CF is too dark, and WOV is a little too green tinged).

Ruth Morrisson aka insktainedruth

When we were working out the details of the color one of the things I requested is that it be similar to many of Robert Osters Blue colors. I think the 2 I mentioned and compared it too above were Bondi Blue and Blue Water Ice.

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

Since you've done that with your brown ink, would you mind requesting some details on this ink's properties too, such as archival/lightfast/bulletproof/etc.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Since you've done that with your brown ink, would you mind requesting some details on this ink's properties too, such as archival/lightfast/bulletproof/etc.

You bet! I will see what I can figure out. Once I know I will post them here.

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

Thanks for the ink review! That's a nice idea to send a bottle of ink with every sale of a pen to the pen owner. Hmm....meaningful gesture on your part.

Wow, looks line NT has been working on making the water resistant inks less chalky and that ink you have there looks great!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 month later...