Just Got My New(Anitique) Writing Slope

andymcc

I've wanted an antique writing slope since I first got into fountain pens but always talked myself out of getting one because of the price, but with a big birthday coming up I decided to treat myself.

After looking at dozens I found myself coming back to this one again and again so decided to take a chance on it. It arrived last night and I couldn't be happier and had to share it with the community that has helped fuel my addiction for all these years :D

It's from the late 1800's and has Tunbridge style wooden inlay on the top and front, the skiver leather is new so should last me many years, it has 3 hidden drawers which I already love playing with, 2 period inkwell were included with it as well as an old feather that has a biro in it but looks good purely as decoration. I can't believe the condition it's in being so old and it has only one or two little things I plan to do to it to hopefully keep it going for another 100 years.

[IMG]https://imgur.com/anycZ1W[/img]

[IMG]https://imgur.com/bdDgrQa[/img]

I was also hoping someone here might be able to help with how to polish it, I'm assuming given its age it has a shellac finish so I'm guessing beeswax polish it probably best but was wondering about using Renaissance wax?

The other question is about the locks on these boxes, the one in mine does work but the key is a replacement and I'm considering taking the lock out and making a key that fits better so any tips anyone has would be gratefully received.
If anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer them :)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• andymcc

• my63

• inkypete

• Tasmith

nice, congrats!

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

inkypete, Tasmith & IThinkIHaveAProblem Thank you all for your comments :)

The slope is a bit of a beast at 20" x 10" X 7"(3.5" per side) but beautiful to look at, the craftsmanship it must have taken to build is really impressive.

I feel a weird sense of responsibility towards it too, I think as it's survived 140+ years that I'm just it's latest owner and need to keep it safe and usable for the eventual next owner.

Hi Andy

That is a very nice slope you have there, looks to have been very well looked after.

The outside will indeed be covered in shellac in the form of French polish, Most often a final polish of beeswax mixed with something like parafin would have been used to maintain the shine. Most of the high content beeswax polishes should be ok.

Things to be aware of are moisture which finds its way under the French polish and leaves white blemishes. Modern buildings have heating systems which dry out wood quickly so be aware of this and store your slope accordingly.

I know it sounds odd keep them away from moisture but don't let them dry out but that is the best way to look after writing slopes.

I usually wax the inside of mine as well as the outside when they arrive and my collection have remained in the state they arrived in.

This box has a similar design to yours I started restoring it 7 years ago still in progress :)

9949849016_52d21a298b_z.jpgIMG_5014_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Try to keep it in good shape they are really difficult to restore.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

I considered buying one last year at an antiques fair, but couldn't justify the price (and I wasn't sure it would fit on my desk (which I almost never use anyway). Not as ornate, but pretty -- Arts and Crafts style, and purple (well, maybe mauve) velvet on the slope itself.

But these ones in the thread are really lovely. Congratulations.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

my63 thank you for the advice, the seller mentioned using beeswax and I have a pure beeswax polish but I never considered doing the interior as well. Where the box will be used is fortunately away from sunlight and radiators and hopefully moisture too, so I'm hoping that will be enough to keep it safe but I may also look into humidor humidity devices too.

Your box is stunning, the colours of the inlay are so vibrant, it's interesting that the deign and colour of the inlay is very similar to the ones on mine.

inkstainedruth Thanks for your comment. The price was a huge factor for me for years too, most that caught my eye were £3-500 and I could never justify that amount. For a long time I considered getting a restoration project as there are some real bargains to be had if you are a little handy with woodwork.

Getting use out of the slope was another thing I used to talk myself out of getting one for years too as I rarely write but for he last couple of years I've been drawing every day to relax and have been using a DIY desk and drawing board so the slope will be my new drawing board which means it will hopefully get daily use and if nothing else it's great motivation to sit and draw as it means I get to be near it and look at it :)

The reason the pattern is similar is that they were likely made by the same company / person and sold to the box maker just as they would have bought in the lock.

I should have mentioned I wax the inside to help prevent the slope from drying out.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

my63 thank you for that link,I've never seen it before and the information on the site is fantastic.