Noodler's Blue Nose Bear

yazeh

I really had to control myself not to buy a whole bottle of ink without trying a sample, despite the negative reviews. I’m sorry I didn’t.

Noodler’s Blue Nose Bear was named after the famed Nova Scotian schooner, Bluenose and in homage to the Winnipeg bear, who inspired Winnie the Pooh.

As a lefty underwriter, most important to me are water resistance and acceptable dry times and smooth writing. Shading is a plus.

Most reviews have stated this ink feathers on most papers, bleeds through etc. I find that this while true not always valid. For example, flexed Ahab on Rhodia is awful, however endearing on Clairefontaine.

It also ghosts and it could bleed have minimal bleed through with a very wet nib.

With a wet Medium Jinhao it has lovely feathering. Yes, you read correctly the feathering is actually quite nice. To my surprise with a fude nib, it did not feather and shaded delightfully……

It is partially waterproof, and a greyish line would remain after extended water submersion. The ink is also fluorescent

It seems that I don’t like “perfect” inks but inks that have imperfect perfection….

Rhodia dot pad - Front -

BLuenose bear Rhodia.jpeg

In retrospect I was hasty in my handwritten review, condemning it. The feathering happens when there is an excess gushing with a flexed Ahab. Other than that it's minimal. Bleed through and ghosting are acceptable to me...

Rhodia dot pad - back

BNB - Back - Rhodia.jpeg

Tomoe River - Front

Blue nose TR.jpeg

Tomoe River - Back

Blue nose TR BAck.jpeg

Comparaison

blue nose comparaison.jpeg

Fude nib

BNB - RHidoia - fude.jpeg

Ahab - Flex - closeup

BNB - Rhodia - Ahab - flex.jpeg

Some nice feathering on ClarieFontaine ;)

BNB - CLairefontaine- fude.jpeg

Florescence

20200420_070515.jpg

20200420_070430.jpg

And finally an Ahab vs PensBBS fine nib comparison

Mystery.jpeg

And water resistance after 18 hours under rain, sleet and snow...

BLue nose bear.jpg

Edited by yazeh

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• Eclipse157

• amberleadavis

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

Not my color, but you show it off wonderfully! Love your ship drawing. :)

Thanks, it's never racking when you're doing a review and you don't know how to draw ;)

You want to get it at the first go....

Thanks, it's never racking when you're doing a review and you don't know how to draw ;)

You want to get it at the first go....

I used to think I could draw stick men, until I saw Tas's, and now I can't even draw those! :lol:

I used to think I could draw stick men, until I saw Tas's, and now I can't even draw those! :lol:

:)

I had a sample of this ink not long ago, and I thought it was absolutely gorgeous. However, I did have all kinds of trouble with it bleeding and making a mess. Now that you mention it, I think I did have it in an Ahab. Maybe I shouldve tried it in a fine nib, at that.

I want so badly to buy a full bottle because I like the color so much, but I am just not sure that I have a whole bottles use for it.

Great review! You present the ink in all of its beauty! Thank you! I have so many inks in this general color that I can't justify another, though.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I have this ink and I agree with you 100%, it's special but far from perfect. I do like it but it gets passed over often because of its specialness, however I didn't feel as disapponted with it as I did with 54th MA, Prime of the Commons and other bulletproof ink, maybe I just had higher expectations for them, and with the BNB I knew what I was getting myself into... anyway, thanks for sharing your review!

I have this ink and I agree with you 100%, it's special but far from perfect. I do like it but it gets passed over often because of its specialness, however I didn't feel as disapponted with it as I did with 54th MA, Prime of the Commons and other bulletproof ink, maybe I just had higher expectations for them, and with the BNB I knew what I was getting myself into... anyway, thanks for sharing your review!

I do agree with you. When we know an ink is "finicky" we can accept its faults more readily. I was looking for a water resistant ink in this shade and I'm happy with it, despite its perceived faults :)

Great review! You present the ink in all of its beauty! Thank you! I have so many inks in this general color that I can't justify another, though.

Thankfully I've only samples in this tone. So this will be probably be my only bottle ;)

I had a sample of this ink not long ago, and I thought it was absolutely gorgeous. However, I did have all kinds of trouble with it bleeding and making a mess. Now that you mention it, I think I did have it in an Ahab. Maybe I shouldve tried it in a fine nib, at that.

I want so badly to buy a full bottle because I like the color so much, but I am just not sure that I have a whole bottles use for it.

The first time I inked my Ahab the feathering was awful and ugly. So I inked another pen. A few days later, when I tried it again it wrote alright even when I flexed. I guess it all comes down to the fact whether you need/like this ink with all it's foibles. I like it and can live with it ;)

Great presentation of the ink - love the close-up shots that really show off the ink. And a special thank you for the related inks ... that kyo-no-oto hisoku is an ink I must definitely try soon. Same colour family, but definitely greyer, and more suited to my tastes.

Great presentation of the ink - love the close-up shots that really show off the ink. And a special thank you for the related inks ... that kyo-no-oto hisoku is an ink I must definitely try soon. Same colour family, but definitely greyer, and more suited to my tastes.

Thanks.

I'm looking forward to seeing your Inkxperiment with Hisoku. ;)

, however I didn't feel as disappointed with it as I did with 54th MA,...

What didn't you like in 54th?

What didn't you like in 54th?

The mad feathering and line widening. It's like writing on toilet paper...

Reading what you said, I filled up a wet Jinhao 450 with a fude nib with a unused sample I had and wrote on Rhodia/ copy paper and such. It was very well behaved, fast drying... I almost wished that it would fall in the category of Noodler's never drying inks, alas no :D

May I ask what was your pen/ paper combo?

Reading what you said, I filled up a wet Jinhao 450 with a fude nib with a unused sample I had and wrote on Rhodia/ copy paper and such. It was very well behaved, fast drying... I almost wished that it would fall in the category of Noodler's never drying inks, alas no :D

May I ask what was your pen/ paper combo?

A Noodler's Creaper and a Hero 1303, both on HP ColorChoice 100gsm. The Creaper is wetter than the Hero but the point is roughly the same size, more or less a fine. The ink sinks immediately into the paper and readily widens the line, bleeding through to the other side with the creaper. They both write like a medium. Haven't tried on Rhodia yet, but on Tomoe the behaviour is flawless of course and the shading actually great, shame we can't have Tomoe everywhere...

Thank you for showing off this ink. I wanted to love it, but this is an ink that never gets used. Of course, that was before I understood that unless it was retina searing, I probably wouldn't use it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

A Noodler's Creaper and a Hero 1303, both on HP ColorChoice 100gsm. The Creaper is wetter than the Hero but the point is roughly the same size, more or less a fine. The ink sinks immediately into the paper and readily widens the line, bleeding through to the other side with the creaper. They both write like a medium. Haven't tried on Rhodia yet, but on Tomoe the behaviour is flawless of course and the shading actually great, shame we can't have Tomoe everywhere...

Thanks, I understand what you mean . This happened also with Blue Nose Bear and number of other bulletproofs inks, I tried. I guess it is in their nature to bind with the paper. The only one that didn't do that was Kung Te-Cheng....

I have creeper and I'll fill it up with the reminder, of 54th to experiment ;)

I also noticed that with Scabiosa, a fine PenBBS turned into a lovely medium, to my surprise :)

Thank you for showing off this ink. I wanted to love it, but this is an ink that never gets used. Of course, that was before I understood that unless it was retina searing, I probably wouldn't use it.

Your most welcome :)

It is gratifying when one discovers what type of ink one loves. This way we can appreciate them more from a distance without being tempted ;)

Don't feel bad, my bottle is/was the same, so at least you are not alone.

This is clearly a bottle to bottle/batch to batch issue. And makes it obvious why some people won't buy any Noodler's inks

Cutting it with water helps, a little

Shaking the ever loving (bleep) out of the bottle also helps, a little

But my bottle (of 54th) is still a terribly behaved ink. As are my General of the Armies and to a lesser extent, my bottle of Bluenose Bear.

Upsetting too, because i love the colours, but HATE feathering and strongly dislike bleed which will both cause me to shelve an ink.

That said, some of my noodlers inks are amazingly well behaved and i love them. (like midway.... oooohhh midway blue....)

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Don't feel bad, my bottle is/was the same, so at least you are not alone.

This is clearly a bottle to bottle/batch to batch issue. And makes it obvious why some people won't buy any Noodler's inks

Cutting it with water helps, a little

Shaking the ever loving (bleep) out of the bottle also helps, a little

But my bottle (of 54th) is still a terribly behaved ink. As are my General of the Armies and to a lesser extent, my bottle of Bluenose Bear.

Upsetting too, because i love the colours, but HATE feathering and strongly dislike bleed which will both cause me to shelve an ink.

That said, some of my noodlers inks are amazingly well behaved and i love them. (like midway.... oooohhh midway blue....)

I really liked General of the Armies, it was wet with a fast dry time and I didn't experience any problems with it. I actually ordered a bottle, I liked the "inconsistent" colours a lot. :)

I filled three pens with 54 M.

I understood what Eclipse was saying. It feels that you have no control of the line depending on the pen/paper nib combination...

As long as I didn't flex the Nib creeper, it worked fine.

Ironically, a medium Jinhao 450 wrote wider than the fude nib which I was using before... Though in retrospect it doesn't surprise me. I've noticed some badly behaving inks, write better with a fude...

However, it made my scratchy, dry Waterman W2 into an exceptionally pleasant writer :)

I'm not a fan of the colour, so I'm not tempted :)