Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Soot

• BMG

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Christof:

I have seen references to 'Dove gray' is that specific to American made P51's?

Hi Doc

Good to hear from you.

Dove gray is a P "51" Vacumatic Color. I am not sure if the American made Mk II and III was called alike. But maybe the color was/is similar. ...can't say because I don't have one.

C.

For me, the difference in feel between the plastic pens and the lucite pens is a deal breaker. (ie I prefer lucite)

Thanks

Thank you!

...in regard of user pens, you are right.

C.

Edited by christof

Got some feedback to my collected observations. It seems that I need to be more precise about the terms Mk II and Mk III.

Mk x is not an official designation by Parker Pens. It's an inofficial term to help collectors for communication, but there are different applications of the terms...

- The website www.parker51.com differentiates between the following designations: Mk I (Vacumatic), Mk II (Aerometric until 1969) and Mk III (from 1969-78)

- The website www.parkerpens.net differentiates between: Mk 0 (first year), Mk I (Vacumatic), Mk II (A+B ) (Aerometric 1948-68), Mk III (1969-70) and Mk IV (1970-78)

- And the Parker "51" Book by David an Mark Shepherd applies the term Mk x only to the aerometric models: Mk I (Aerometric until 1969), Mk II (1969-70) and Mk III (from 1970-78)

And to make things more clear: In my own designations, I followed the Parker "51" Book. Hope this helps.

C.

Edited by christof

Well, maybe I set the target a little too high with this topic. And perhaps it would be necessary to inspect a greater number of these models to obtain truly reliable facts. Anyway, I'm closing up with this subject, with the unsatisfactory feeling that I haven't reached the goal (as usual with tasks like these).

For your entertainment only, something completely different. For stylo-plume.org, the french sister of FPN, I made a picture according to the topic: "stylo-plumes et passions diverses" which means: "fountain pens and other passions (hobbies)"

see also here: http://www.stylo-plume.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=16130

27544786767_65e785b5ce_c.jpg

This picture is standing for several passions and hobbies of mine. It's called "Pen Building Site" since planning and building is my profession and passion, but I also love pens, working on pens, and of course, I have a weak spot for this neat vintage toy cars made by Lesney, England.

C.

Edited by christof

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Christof!

Well, maybe I set the target a little too high with this topic. And perhaps it would be necessary to inspect a greater number of these models to obtain truly reliable facts. Anyway, I'm closing up with this subject, with the unsatisfactory feeling that I haven't reached the goal (as usual with tasks like these).

What you are doing is well organised & with pleasant. Other than the historical relevance of the matter & the beautiful pictures, your post's carries the organised way, how to make, which is not less important than the post's itself.

For your entertainment only, something completely different. For stylo-plume.org, the french sister of FPN, I made a picture according to the topic: "stylo-plumes et passions diverses" which means: "fountain pens and other passions (hobbies)"

see also here: http://www.stylo-plume.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=16130

Again, a nice forum it is. :wub: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :yikes: :lticaptd: -- maybe a few smileys are not approporiate but, I am replying & my 5 yr old daughter has asked to send these smileys & happiness to you all !

This picture is standing for several passions and hobbies of mine. It's called "Pen Building Site" since planning and building is my profession and passion, but I also love pens, working on pens, and of course, I have a weak spot for this neat vintage toy cars made by Lesney, England.

C.

Great vintage cars! They are made very sturdy, withstanding time :)

Best regards,

Arvind.

I finally have a new pen to show. It's an English Mabie Todd Swan SF2 with a flexible XX-fine nib.

41836132914_5bd68914b8_c.jpg

And I am totally in love with this nib. See why!

42681665282_ae13133354_c.jpg

This nib is not only insanely flexible, it writes also an extremely fine line without pressure. I'd say: needlepoint:

42950463441_319c30e5da_c.jpg
42900794502_f21cdd9bbc_c.jpg

Swan nibs are among with Waterman's and Conklin, the most flexible ones I have ever tested!

Have a nice week end.

C.

Edited by christof

I finally have a new pen to show. It's an English Mabie Todd Swan SF2 with a flexible XX-fine nib.

And I am totally in love with this nib. See why!

This nib is not only insanely flexible, it writes also an extremely fine line without pressure. I'd say: needlepoint:

wan nibs are among with Waterman's and Conklin, the most flexible ones I have ever tested!

Have a nice week end.

C.

That's the sort of nib we dream of finding. Enjoy.

Beautiful nib. (And great penmanship, to boot)

In the close-up it looks like an architect grind - but I've seen this on Swan nibs before and they turned out not to be so,

Definitely agree that the early Swans are sensational nibs which can have astonishing flex.

(I find the same goes for early Onoto nibs)

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, thanks for sharing that, Christof.

I do find that some of my more flexible nibs come from Mabie Todd.

You remember the pen lot I mentioned a couple of month ago?

Now, most of the pens are restored and went either into my collection or to the classifeds (some were traded as well). The last pen that left over is a Kaweco Elite 185 from ca. 1938/39 in NOS condition. Only flaw: the nib was missing. Thanks to Tom Westerich, I was able to complete the pen with a matching an original Kaweco nib.

See this crisp chasing and clear ink view:

42307661444_a8610c21e8_c.jpg

Even the cork seal is original (and it's still tight!):

42976393992_3813e83595_c.jpg

The two tone plating of the clip is perfectly kept:

43028766811_428780209c_c.jpg

The imprint of the nib is matching with the one on the advert below:

41218468080_c081925203_c.jpg

Advert from 1938:

42135806515_16981d4b9f_b.jpg

This pen is 80 years old but looks as it was bought yesterday! This is definitely a collectors item and no ink will touch it as long as it's mine.

C.

Edited by christof

Cristof,

What a great way to layout a 'ten'. This is indeed the Pelikan equivalent of Bo Derek!

fpn_1530553658__screen_shot_2018-07-02_a

Very creative idea, the picture and pens are beautiful! Congrats for 10 years membership!

AFAIK, there was a cine film "10 - Die Traumfrau" with Bo Derek, rather long ago. I do not know the original title.