What's Up At Christof's

christof

My newest catch is not a fountain pen but a super rare Caran d'Ache Fixpencil 23. You don't see this short version of the number 22 very often.

35342119993_360ecbe159_k.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-go_-xrursU8/UIjRIM79SwI/AAAAAAAAQLQ/ppTJIsbslLY/s1600/aran14.gif

As I do not really collect pencils and leadholders, this on will move on to the Museum of design Zurich (Museum für Gestaltung Zürich) and will be part of the new permanent exhibition (opens march 2018).

C.

Edited by christof

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Soot

• BMG

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fixpencils are designed rather for drawing purposes than writing. When you're drawing plans, you have to sharpen the lead after about every fifth line to get uniform line width. For sharpening the lead, the Gedess lead sharpener is the best choice:

http://sammlungen-archive.zhdk.ch/view/objects/asitem/People$004031118/2;jsessionid=CA244220F644CE5C75C8CC515710EF6F

...good old days. Sigh.

C.

Edited by christof

Fixpencils are designed rather for drawing purposes than writing. When you're drawing plans, you have to sharpen the lead after about every fifth line to get uniform line width. For sharpening the lead, the Gedess lead sharpener is the best choice:

http://sammlungen-archive.zhdk.ch/view/objects/asitem/People$004031118/2;jsessionid=CA244220F644CE5C75C8CC515710EF6F

...good old days. Sigh.

C.

Indeed Christoph , "the good old days"

I've used the CD drawing pencils - the standard longer version - during the seventies en eighties drawing mechanical designs on an A0 size "ISIS" drawing board .

And the Gedess sharpener was indeed a real breakthrough compared to the sandpaper covered wooden strip and/or the integrated sharpener inside the pencil actuating top !

Those were the days….

Thanks for shearing!

Francis

Indeed Christoph , "the good old days"

I've used the CD drawing pencils - the standard longer version - during the seventies en eighties drawing mechanical designs on an A0 size "ISIS" drawing board .

And the Gedess sharpener was indeed a real breakthrough compared to the sandpaper covered wooden strip and/or the integrated sharpener inside the pencil actuating top !

Those were the days….

Thanks for shearing!

Francis

Thank you Francis. The standard longer version of the 22 is called 77. I made this sketch a couple of years ago to explain a friend what FIXPENCILS are. As a young architect, I used them daily to draw drafts of construction plans. I still have them all in different sizes beside my desk. Will take a picture when I find the time.

36135522326_ae5d8dabd8_k.jpg

C.

(honestly, I do not collect them!! ...but when I see one at the fleamarket or thrift shop for nothing, I can't withstand.)

Edited by christof

Thank you Francis. The standard longer version of the 22 is called 77. I made this sketch a couple of years ago to explain a friend what FIXPENCILS are. As a young architect, I used them daily to draw drafts of construction plans. I still have them all in different sizes beside my desk. Will take a picture when I find the time.

C.

(honestly, I do not collect them!! ...but when I see one at the fleamarket or thrift shop for nothing, I can't withstand.)

I would buy one if I saw one at a thrift shop for virtually nothing too. :D

here we go, the photographs:

35348218924_2a7c9d9954_h.jpg

35348217634_bebb3841a2_h.jpg

C.

PS: ...but really, I DO NOT COLLECT them.

C, that's a pretty cool set there.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

I like the stand the clutch pencil sits in, I would certainly take that home with me

I like the stand the clutch pencil sits in, I would certainly take that home with me

It's not a desk stand. It's a lead pointer. Here's the original patent drawing by Georges Dessonnaz:

http://hans.presto.tripod.com/scan/us2242458.gif

And here a picture of a demonstrator model:

DX42792-TR~DUX-The-Geddes-Rotary-Lead-PoDX42792~DUX-The-Geddes-Rotary-Lead-Point

Edited by christof

Are those stickers from the 80s?

How did you get them?

(Sorry for the interrogation...)

Recently, I found a quite uncommon Parker "51" nib. A right foot oblique Broad.

During the past years I had several oblique "51" nibs, but never a right foot shaped.

36306583115_2d2267d8d3_z.jpg

35499641293_c173998949_z.jpg

35912121560_63502ccea7_z.jpg

Needless to say that it writes marvellous. The only other right foot oblique nib I have is a Pelikan 400 nib which also matches my handwriting quite well.

15794197476_343a8a5a8b_z.jpg

Completely the opposite to regular obliques which are not comfortable with me....

C.

Edited by christof

Oh that is a dandy find, and in a P51 no less! As a lefty the RF oblique is a great nib for me. That 51 looks like a vey oblique angle, I have found that less than 15 degrees is best for me. I had Mr. Masuyama grind two nibs for me with this orientation and I quite like them, There is something for every one, .... but not enough for some of us.