What's Up At Christof's

christof

Christof,

Nothing like the beautifully photographed and dissected Goldfink that you have shown us, but just for general interest at the Goldfink user level/pen promo gift level:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/Goldfink.Berlin_zpsldimbcdp.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/Goldfink.Berlin_zpsldimbcdp.jpg

This was probably an employee recognition from the US Sector in the 50's before the Wall went up.

The map in the background is of the Russian Zone and from about the same time. The map was sponsored by Goldring.

Peice of history, put before us. The US in 50's Germany, preferring GOLDFINK for gifting an employee is, itself a great honour for the pen manufacturer. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Arvind.

Best regards,

Arvind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Soot

• BMG

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And now, something comepletely different!

Actually I do NOT collect pencils. But during the time, the one and other came my way and stayed with me. Not that I think that pencils als more interesting than pens (no, no, no!!!)... but I really apreciate a nice and well made pencil.

I guess that I better not will start collecting them but at least, I made inventary of my pencils in the collection.

As well with my pens, I am interested in different mechanics and industrial design. That's why I sorted the pencils in the following four selections:

1. vintage propelling pencils

33542667984_fbfbfca1d5_c.jpg

2. vintage repeater pencils

33999727900_278710a326_c.jpg

3. modern mechanical pencils

34253782341_9c8a5417d1_c.jpg

4. leadholders

33999724140_3eac378be3_c.jpg

Hope you like this stuff too.

C.

Congratulations Christof !

Finally someone is doing something for those wonderful pieces but somewhat abandoned by pen lovers... except, sometimes, when they are part of a set....

Thank you...

Christof,

A very nice collection, very well organized!

Should your inadvertent exploring through the world of graphite ever lead you into the woods ...

https://cwpencils.com/

I know you are not searching for examples of mechanical pencils, but you might want just one FEND.

Dick

Actually I do NOT collect pencils. But during the time, the one and other came my way and stayed with me. Not that I think that pencils als more interesting than pens (no, no, no!!!)... but I really apreciate a nice and well made pencil.
I guess that I better not will start collecting them but at least, I made inventary of my pencils in the collection.
As well with my pens, I am interested in different mechanics and industrial design. That's why I sorted the pencils in the following four selections:
4. leadholders
C.

Some purdy pencils. I like the second to last one on the bottom picture. :P

4. leadholders
C.

Hello Christof!

Nice collection. Great pencils. Very beautiful.

As in the picture, the Pelikan only made repeater pencils, did they ?

In the second photography, the 4th one from right, is that a Pelikan pencil ?

Best regards,

Arvind.

Best regards,

Arvind.

AL01!

I copy you. That one is standing out of the whole group :)

Who made this ? Who ever it is, it seems that while designing the pencil, the manufacturer wanted the pencil to be bought by students qualifying in architecture, IMHO.

May be, anyone shall share the wisdom behind this beauty....

Regards,

Arvind.

Best regards,

Arvind.

I believe the pencil is a Caran D'Ache Ecridor in the classic chevron pattern. The Ecridor pencil was first made available in 1947(?) with a hexangular shape similar to a wood pencil. A BP version was issued in1953 and later an FP in the 80s(?). The Ecridor was an upgrade of their very popular hexangular Fixpencil introduced in 1930 as the world's first mechanical pencil.

Both the Ecridor line and the Fixpencil line are still widely available.

Just a quick ID. Christof is the source of wisdom!

PS

There are three more Caran d'Ashe in photo four in positions 1, 3, and 5. I don't know the line names for the lead-holders. I think position 1 is a Fixpencil because of the clip that is common to the line.

C,

Hardly! Here are three that I like, just because I like the design. Oddly, the R&B editing pencil is also a classic. The mechanicals are Ecridor. The Ecridor pencil is a promo for Ciba-Geigy

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/P1040154_zpshdjuvkds.jpg

Ciba-Geigy ... originally Basel! Mer spränge dr Raame! (But not now as Novatis in New Jersey)

SORRY! CAN"T SEEM TO GET RID OF THIS!

C,

Hardly!

Here are three I like for their design and usability. The mechanicals are both Ecridors

Thank you Dick. Here's a better picture of my Ecridor, I think it was made during the 50's:

34571842755_67597825f3_k.jpg

..and another Swiss made pencil. "The Handy", a propelling pencil, probably from 1920's:

33761795743_02909dd6f8_k.jpg

C.

Nice pictures.

The second pencil is looking similar to the Parker/Wahl pencils, by design.

Best regards,

Arvind.

Best regards,

Arvind.

...just for fun:

34681472916_b7bcd00c6f_k.jpg

have a nice week end.

C.

Hello Christof!

Nice repeater Pelikan.

Thise leads of blue is awesome.

Thanks for sharing.

P.s: are the leads something like crayons ? Beautiful shade of blue though . . .

Regards,

Arvind.

Best regards,

Arvind.

...just for fun:

34681472916_b7bcd00c6f_k.jpg

have a nice week end.

C.

That's a nice pencil Christof, fabulous condition and great it is still performing it's function after so many years!

Are the blue leads (which I have never seen before) the same age as the pencil?

Yes, the blue crayon leads were made for this pencil in ca. 1936/37.

There were other colors too as red, green and violet for example. But of course mainly pencil leads were used.

PS: I you use the quotation button, please delete the picture link in the quoted post. Otherwise this thread becomes stretched with may times the same pictures. That's boring. Thanks.

C.

• 5 weeks later...

Like several others who have entered previously, I just discovered this thread/line of posting/shared discussion a few days ago. Since then I have read all 59+ pages of posts and participation with interest. The information, images, history, and conjecture that have appeared here are delightful, not only because of their information and entertainment value, but also because of the alacrity with which it has been provided.

My wife is a serious Pelikan collector. The information and pictorial history included here, primarily from Christof, but also from the experience of others, has been of great value to her and eye-opening to me.

Rarely (if ever) have such long strings of information dissemination existed on this or any board with no discord or recrimination.

It has been nearly a month without a post here. While I recognize that some developments here - and elsewhere - disappoint us, I hope that the positive value of this thread carries the day and that those who have participated will reengage with vigor.

I'll be here. It is worth it.

D.C.

Edited by D.C. in PA

D.C. in PA - Always bitin' off more than I can chew.

Thank you for the kind words D.C.

I can assure you that this thread is not yet dead :) I am still alive and interested in pens and pen community.

But we have summer time here and things are going a little bit slower that usual. Also, I am currently working a lot on the museum project (exhibition opens 2018) and another private project about LAMY 27 (will be published soon here).

And btw, I give myself the pleasure to pick the one and other nice pencil (my newest passion). Here some examples:

34545411604_0d0fafe496_h.jpg

late Pelikan 100N/250

34890869400_052941b295_h.jpg

Waterman's 0852V and pencil

34534360102_3a1c4f5338_h.jpg

Pelikan 100 and AUCH Pelikan 200

33941311603_b53e424fc4_h.jpg

Rotring 900 FP and MP set

But let's see what's next....

C.

Edited by christof