What's Up At Christof's

christof

Christof : great job, very nice pictures... I think I've allready said it a few times, but once more : reading you is allways a real pleasure ! Thanks very much.

Please, keep on posting like this in 2014 !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Soot

• BMG

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Before Christmas I've been trying to sell this pen at the classifieds:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3771/11693369124_2bc3026fc3_b.jpg

It's a Montblanc Meisterstück 138 with a BB steel nib from ca. 1939.

The pen has been perfectly restored by FPN member Fountainbel aka as Francis Goossens.

Well, the pen did not sell.

I said to myself, why not testing the pen if it the nib fits to me, instead of selling it for a lower price...

The result has been surprising. To be honest, there's no reason to be surprised, because I never made bad experiences with vintage Montblanc nibs, but this one is exceptionel amazing. But Have a look yourself...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3798/11693237053_5ecc0f0679_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3793/11693752566_b5051e0eed_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3699/11693746496_e2ecdf9c2b_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5521/11693220373_2b7375efe4_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3738/11693365714_bd81b6475a_b.jpg

Amazing, this vintage steel nib, isn't it?

Then, another pen with steel nib came to my mind. It's this one:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5534/11693211463_84f9f3f194_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7358/11693728866_00d4a9dde5_b.jpg

The pen is a little bit special. It's an all original wartime pen in scarce Gray color. The special thing is the cap. Usually, wartime caps have knurled cap bands. This one has no cap bands. I only have read about such caps, but this is the first one I have seen. But that's not the important thing. Have a look at this nib:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7312/11693201083_523575b30f_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3833/11693735806_145d364f57_b.jpg

I really am positively surprised about these vintage steel nibs. Really great writers. Usually, I don't have any problems in letting go nice pens...but if these are such exceptinal writers, the decision will become hard.

Christof

The MB138 is absolutely beautiful and the price is reasonable. However my pen budget does not stretch that far! :(

On the other hand I am enjoying the vintage Pelikan 400NN pen with a "B nib that writes like an M". :)

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of extraordinary nibs, I'd like to show you the newest from my work bench. It's a Pelikan 100N in black, made in the 1950's. Very good condition, but the best is the nib. Have a look your self...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3816/11914345516_b014f7ec2f_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3734/11913749463_b3cae62c5f_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3760/11913759093_198f3fefc8_b.jpg[

If I didn't already have three of this black 100N, I certainly wood keep this. But after some playing with it, the pen probably will move to the classifieds.

• 2 weeks later...

Christof,

I wanted to take a look at your very first pages... it seems most of the pictures are gone ... is it me or did you do some cleaning ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread and read it thoroughly from the page one. Wow! Amazing collection, serious restoration skills and beautiful pictures. And there must be an outstanding person behind these posts.
Maybe, the most inspiring thread on FPN for me so far (I joined not long ago, but browsed heavily as a thirsty neophyte).

Thank you and please write on!

Gottes Mühlen mahlen langsam, mahlen aber trefflich fein

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, not all the pictures are visible today. I wrote a message to the admin about the problems but didn't get an answer yet....

We'll see what happens with this thread.

Christof

I managed to get the pictures stored in older posts from the links which are available if a message is "Quoted".

Edited by vates

Christof,

Just thinking out loud here, as this thread gets longer and more image-rich, but have you reconsidered setting up a blog / website with these images / info?

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

This is what I wrote to the admins of the board one week ago:

Dear Administrators

May be you know me, may be not. My FPN name is Christof and I'm an active member since a couple of years.

Once I started a thread, called "what's up at Christof's" in wich I do show my pens, photographs, repair jobs, sketches etc...

Recently I recognised that most of the linked in pictures disappeard. I use Flickr as a picture data base and do link in my pictures from there.

Here's a link to the thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/220855-whats-up-at-christofs/

Do you have an idea what the problem could be and how it could be fixed?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Christof

Unfortunately, I didn't get an answer yet, but I will not post here anymore , until I have found a solution for the Problem. Sorry Folks, but I am sure you will understand this. The main idea of "what's up..." is that you can go back and read all the older Posts similar to a personal Journal. If this is not given, the whole thread is pointless.

Christof

Edited by christof

It appears to me that the links are broken. The individual links would have to be replaced.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

As I've told before, the links are there, in the very postings. However, maybe due to the site engine change (there were some changes on Christmas holidays), the code for their insertion is no more valid. You need to go to your older posts and fix the code by re-entering the same links with current "insert image" mechanism. It will not take too many time: it took me only a couple of hours to retrieve them (by clicking on "quote" button and then finding the proper link inside the code) ;)

Christof's first post to this thread explains that he's not a computer nerd, and that's why he's created this thread here on FPN rather than starting and maintaining a blog.

So, the task of editing the image links in this thread -- a task that would take me, or vates, or amberleadavis only a couple of hours to do -- might not be the best task for Christof to take on as his expertise is, as he has said, in pens rather than code.

I would very much like to help get this particular thread's image links repaired, as I find this particular thread to be an invaluable resource.

However, I'm not a moderator of any forum here at FPN, and I'm guessing that it is possible only for a moderator to edit threads, and perhaps only possible for a moderator of this particular "Pictures & Pen Photgraphy" forum to edit this particular thread. Or, for all I know, only Wim is able to edit threads on FPN ...?

amberleadavis, I see you're a moderator here on FPN -- can you please post what you know about who all might have the correct permissions to edit the image links in this thread? And, do you happen to know whether or not it is possible to give someone temporary permission to edit this thread's image links? If so, I would be willing to do this task -- if Christof and the moderators are willing to allow it, of course.

:-)

-- Constance

Edited by conib

@conib -- I am aware of that statement in his post; my above comment ("have you reconsidered...") reflects that, I thought.

My feeling is simply that, as this thread grows, and I'm certainly glad it is growing, it may prove to be "too big" so to speak for a forum context. Maybe I am completely wrong about that.

But maybe not, and setting up a blog these days is not very difficult, and posting to it no more difficult than posting here.

@conib -- I am aware of that statement in his post; my above comment ("have you reconsidered...") reflects that, I thought.

Understood. And I apologize that the clumsy wording of my post seemed to imply a criticism of your post. It wasn't, not at all!

I just wanted to say that editing code isn't everyone's forte, and that repairing links in this thread might be better accomplished by someone who would feel more comfortable doing so.

-- Constance

No need to apologize! Like all those that have commented, I simply hope that this problem gets resolved quickly and easily.

In addition to being an interesting and fun read, this thread is a very valuable resource. :)

Christof's first post to this thread explains that he's not a computer nerd, and that's why he's created this thread here on FPN rather than starting and maintaining a blog.

So, the task of editing the image links in this thread -- a task that would take me, or vates, or amberleadavis only a couple of hours to do -- might not be the best task for Christof to take on as his expertise is, as he has said, in pens rather than code.

I would very much like to help get this particular thread's image links repaired, as I find this particular thread to be an invaluable resource.

However, I'm not a moderator of any forum here at FPN, and I'm guessing that it is possible only for a moderator to edit threads, and perhaps only possible for a moderator of this particular "Pictures & Pen Photgraphy" forum to edit this particular thread. Or, for all I know, only Wim is able to edit threads on FPN ...?

amberleadavis, I see you're a moderator here on FPN -- can you please post what you know about who all might have the correct permissions to edit the image links in this thread? And, do you happen to know whether or not it is possible to give someone temporary permission to edit this thread's image links? If so, I would be willing to do this task -- if Christof and the moderators are willing to allow it, of course.

-- Constance

I sent a report in to the moderators that we have a volunteer and asked if we can make this happen.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

-- Constance

Thanks for your offer my dear. This is very kind. Just one question. Wouldn't it be easier to fill in new links from flickr than to edit the defect ones? Most of the pics should be still there... and of course, It would be necessary to get admin rights to edit older posts, at least for a limited time.

Christof