What's Up At Christof's

christof

Lovely to see the closeup pics of the various groups. The Lamy group in particular is interesting---the safari really jumps out at you as something very different from the others.

Of the modern Lamys I only have the 2000, scribble and safari, so it is nice to see a fuller picture of their models side-by-side.

I hope some art students stop by and sketch some of the pen displays, there is plenty there to work with.

-Otter1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Soot

• BMG

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Recently, I was able to buy a small collection of vintage and unrestored fountain pens. The collection belonged to an acquaintance from the local fleamarket. We knew each other for years and met once or twice a year at the fleamarket, mostly early in the morning, hunting for pens. At some point, we became friends, although we were looking for the same stuff. The years went by and my friend became older (me too of course). When he got retired, he stopped collecting. We didn't see each other for a couple of years until he decided to leave me his collection.

There went some more pens over my work bench in the mean time. Quick update:

40749701631_67419e5a95_k.jpg

Wahl Eversharp Equi-Poised, Personal Point, Gold Seal

38972931150_b27c77e37d_k.jpg

Pelikan 400 Desk Pen, Milano manufactured (got this in another change trade with a friend)

39888555975_fd4f8e7c3c_k.jpg

Wahl Eversharp Desk Pen, Rosewood, (got the matching trumpet thanks the help of my friend too)

25989780997_7ecc667833_k.jpg

Pelikan 100 with uncommon "EXPORT" Imprint on binde

40885098871_8be768588f_k.jpg

"Standard" huge pen! (...you'll find this one at the classifieds)

40315556324_37077adce9_k.jpg

Pelikan 100N with OBB nib!

40130792195_b971a10649_k.jpg

Steno Pelikan from the 80's

41033255301_ccb383bc1f_k.jpg

Pelikan 250 pencil (had no work with this..)

26162694387_5a85ee41f3_k.jpg

Pelikan IBIS 130 from the 50's

40219135625_b723cd451f_k.jpg

27240992138_e8039eca07_k.jpg

2 Parker "51" Mk III (I'm going to build a complete collection with all colors of these!!)

26318034957_181d6d334f_k.jpg

UHU Noblesse from the 50's

40585017014_231d2465a4_k.jpg

Pelikan PK30

40634876744_a01a92d443_k.jpg

LAMY 27, 2. generation

40453274865_ce5a548d37_k.jpg

Montblanc 222 Desk Pen, mint/boxed

...back to work now and see what's next!

C.

Edited by christof

Are the MK3s different than the Aerometric MKs 1 and 2 in terms of weight, feel, and writing?

Nice work going on there...

hmm...that seems to be a small collection though from a retiring person :) i mean the collection must be way wider ;).

The pelikan 400 deskpen is very neat & pretty. Does that have a stand ? How does it fill ?

All the best for the work going on & done by you.

Keep updating.

Best,

Best regards,

Arvind.

Are the MK3s different than the Aerometric MKs 1 and 2 in terms of weight, feel, and writing?

As far I can say, they are similar in feel and weight. Just the clutch of the cap works different (fingers instead of a ring) which makes a different feeling closing or posting the cap.

C.

hmm...that seems to be a small collection though from a retiring person :) i mean the collection must be way wider ;).

I did not say that I have finished yet...

The pelikan 400 deskpen is very neat & pretty. Does that have a stand ?

Yes.

How does it fill ?

Piston.

C.

Dear Christof!

Thanks for your replies.

I imagine regarding piston knob, such a long one ...or the trumpet has to be taken out to get access to the piston knob. :)

Best,

Arvind.

Best regards,

Arvind.

Christof!

This is beautiful!

What made Pelikan to make deskpen set's ? Was that spontaneous or they wanted to be parallel with the american brands, who where making large number's of these for almost all of their model line ?

Thanks for sharing pictures Christof! :)

All the best. Keep going.

Best,

Arvind.

Best regards,

Arvind.

Hello Christof!!

Nice collection.

By the way, is it going to be in collection or you are going to put in your writing circulation ?

Best regards,

Arvind.

Best regards,

Arvind.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Just wanted to post a quick picture before the week end and before another month has gone since the last post here:

42175727851_b31666512e_c.jpg

Since a longer time of focussing on Pelikan and Lamy only, I am working again on my Parker "51" collection currently.

It was then, when I recognized this nice detail of imprinted model numbers on the caps. I like this a lot!

A short research told me that Parker begun imprinting the model number on caps in 1954 on the Parker "51".

But the here shown "51" is a U.S. made Mk III in rage red.

The Mk III is the model serie on which I am focussing for the moment. Even between several Mk III are differences existing and I think that this is quite an interesting thing which should be lightened more. And i had to find out that these pens are not that easy to find as I was thinking....

Will come backk with this when more material an indformations in hands...

C.

PS: I also had to find out, that I was missing a good picture of all my Aerometrics in all the available colors. I have now made up for that:

40293523700_f90f228a0d_c.jpg

Edited by christof

Since a longer time of focussing on Pelikan and Lamy only, I am working again on my Parker "51" collection currently.

It was then, when I recognized this nice detail of imprinted model numbers on the caps. I like this a lot!

A short research told me that Parker begun imprinting the model number on caps in 1954 on the Parker "51".

But the here shown "51" is a U.S. made Mk III in rage red.

The Mk III is the model serie on which I am focussing for the moment. Even between several Mk III are differences existing and I think that this is quite an interesting thing which should be lightened more. And i had to find out that these pens are not that easy to find as I was thinking....

Will come backk with this when more material an indformations in hands...

C.

PS: I also had to find out, that I was missing a good picture of all my Aerometrics in all the available colors. I have now made up for that:

Hello Christof!

Nice collection. Thanks for sharing. Keep updating.

Best,

Arvind.

Edited by drrusso

Best regards,

Arvind.

• 2 weeks later...
Recently I got deeper into the topic of the third and last version of the famous Parker "51", the so called Mk II and Mk III.

First I'd like to mention that all the provided informations are based on:

- Ernesto Solers ultimate Parker "51" website: www.parker51.com

- The Parker "51" Book by Davic and Mark Sheperd

- www.parkerpens.net

- my own observations on my own pens

1. Mk II versus Mk III

The main difference between Mk II and III are quite simple, it's all in the cap top, clip and clip screw. The earlier Mk II has a visible clip ring with jewel (like all types of "51" before) while the later Mk III has an integrated and invisible clip ring and a solid metal clip screw without jewel, much more like the Parker 45.

Mk II vs Mk III:

42443736882_17fa16b78e_c.jpg

2. made in U.S.A. versus made in G.B.

Interestingly, there are much more differences between the American made and the English made pens than between the Mk II and the Mk III.

Parker "51" Mk II made in England:

27240992138_d374334dbf_c.jpg

Parker "51" Mk II made in U.S.A.:

42438865131_f8d05db487_c.jpg

I think that the main difference is in the material and production process. The plastic parts of American Mk II and III are injection molded, while the English ones are machined from solid Lucite (like all types of "51" before). The plastic of the injection molded parts (specially the section) is much softer and tends to shrinkage and deformation. I also have seen examples with discoloration and staining.

barrel threads / injection molded vs machined:

42443744312_5e0b5d7c24_c.jpg

The shape of the section is slightly different. While the English looks modern shaped, the American pens still have nearly the same shape as the Mk I pens had.

42443744132_c0df110349_c.jpg

42443744522_bdefb38cdd_c.jpg

The cluth rings are different as well and I believe that U.S. made clutch rings only came in plated gold (but this is not proof).

Clutch Rings:

42443744972_befe311bfa_c.jpglick

Clutch Rings close up:

42443744852_d147814263_c.jpg

There's only one color that has been produced in England and America. It's black. The other colors have either been produced in England or America.

Grid of origin of colors:

28623496178_9342a1dbb5_o.jpg

all colors except U.S. made Gray:

28582258238_2b858980f0_c.jpg

Of course I am looking for the American Gray which is missing in my collection so let me knwo if you can help me please. :)Thanks.

Let's see what's next.

C.

Edited by christof

Hi Christof. Mk II and Mk III have different section barrel threads. Conventional Vs Acme. What are your observations reg this?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

It is my understanding (and observation) that Mk II and III are indentical except the cap and do not have different threads. The difference is between U.S. made and G.B. made. That is what I wanted to explain here.

But I am totally open for other facts and iformations if I should be wrong. Thank you.

Thanks Christof. A great post, very informative. I had little or no knowledge re the US vs UK models.

As usual, top photography and another excellent collection of pens.

For me, the difference in feel between the plastic pens and the lucite pens is a deal breaker. (ie I prefer lucite)

Thanks