What's Up At Christof's

christof

For another fountain pen forum (french "stylo-plume.org") I took pictures of my Parker "51" collection. I thougt, it might be fun to see the pens assorted by colors (instead of Aero/Vac assortment).

Well, I like the result and would like to show the pictures here (in this area of the forum which seems to be a bit quieter than the rest) as well. Hope you will like it too.

36568130204_d5f44a0895_h.jpg

37248467992_d114e4e0f7_h.jpg

36539669664_9e2c7cc193_h.jpg

37200804252_b57b62dfca_h.jpg

C.

Edited by christof

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Soot

• BMG

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome original content as usual.

For another fountain pen forum (french "stylo-plume.org") I took pictures of my Parker "51" collection. I thougt, it might be fun to see the pens assorted by colors (instead of Aero/Vac assortment).

Well, I like the result and would like to show the pictures here (in this area of the forum which seems to be a bit quieter than the rest) as well. Hope you will like it too.

C.

Edited by markiv

Vik

Good to see that you still are following. I should have show you my Böhler find earlier. You probably like to see them. Here are the two, of the local thrift shop find:

36855133511_887bacf490_h.jpg

36980990305_a0eeec15fd_h.jpg

c.

Edited by christof

Thank you for the comparison shot of the P51's. Some of the colour differences are extremely subtle, but your excellent photos and labelling are really helpful :)

Thank you for the comparison shot of the P51's. Some of the colour differences are extremely subtle, but your excellent photos and labelling are really helpful :)

+1!

Excellent color assortment of P51, Thanks for sharing...

But those Böhler are really spectacular, great encounter... What a special local thrift shop you have ! :D

...What a special local thrift shop you have ! :D

Heilsarmee Brockenhaus - second hand shop of the salvation army.

(...but to be honest, this is about the third time that I find pens there....in 15 years!)

Heilsarmee Brockenhaus - second hand shop of the salvation army.

(...but to be honest, this is about the third time that I find pens there....in 15 years!)

Well, as Italians say "piano piano va lontano"... one each five, not bad at all ! ;)

of course you are right, but I should have mentioned that I visited the shop once a week the last 15 years. I think that this put things a bit in relation...

Edited by christof

The blue one is quite nice and uncommon too for a German pen.

'Visiting the place once a week for past 15 yrs...! Man that is some serious perseverance. I hope you stumble over a bigger treasure.

Vik

Good to see that you still are following. I should have show you my Böhler find earlier. You probably like to see them. Here are the two, of the local thrift shop find:

c.

While am here, this is another Bohler that I recently let go to a fellow pen friend.

post-32297-0-77037100-1506482281_thumb.jpeg

Edited by markiv

The color on that, real nice!

The blue one is quite nice and uncommon too for a German pen.
'Visiting the place once a week for past 15 yrs...! Man that is some serious perseverance. I hope you stumble over a bigger treasure.

While am here, this is another Bohler that I recently let go to a fellow pen friend.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Christof,

I liked both of your Thrift Store Böhler pens; is the black one a #56? I don't believe I've seen one w/ an ornate cap band like that.

Not long ago, I acquired one just like your teal blue & black chevron-striped piston filler - same hammered-clip and all...

I have found that the piston shafts of Böhler pens have not held up well over time... the plastic has shrunken tight to the helix screw and won't budge, or cracked/broken/disintegrated, and so on... I have at least a dozen nice Böhler pens that are (sadly) sitting idle in a box next to my spare parts bin because of no replacement piston shafts :(. Does anyone else have that problem too?

- Don Jr.

I liked both of your Thrift Store Böhler pens; is the black one a #56? I don't believe I've seen one w/ an ornate cap band like that.

I have found that the piston shafts of Böhler pens have not held up well over time... the plastic has shrunken tight to the helix screw and won't budge, or cracked/broken/disintegrated, and so on... I have at least a dozen nice Böhler pens that are (sadly) sitting idle in a box next to my spare parts bin because of no replacement piston shafts :(. Does anyone else have that problem too?

- Don Jr.

Hi Don

The only number on the "Original Böhler" is a 12 on the piston knob. But the pen has quite a good size and is substantial larger than a Pelikan 100N for example.

Well, the piston mechanics is different on both Böhlers. The blue ones piston is entierly made of HR. The one of the black pen is made of plastic, in a system similar to Kaweco. And yes, I have seen better systems...

C.

Edited by christof

Just out of a lack of interesting new pens (and to keep this thread alive), I made some new pictures of the ones I already had, haha. Enjoy!

23684361358_a35ce2d6c4_k.jpg

Parker Duofold Senior BHR, pen and pencil

37536769611_4fd2018614_k.jpg

Parker Duofold Senior BHR, pen and pencil

36867508033_498a03e95d_k.jpg

Waterman's #52 RHR, pen and pencil

34807331274_9a7bc15f85_k.jpg

Waterman's #52 RHR, pen and pencil

37046570056_61f0083c9a_k.jpg

Pelikan 400 Grey, pen and pencil

36839106520_bf16a2ccb0_k.jpg

33940886463_0b351d3c59_k.jpg

Lamy Safari Savannagrün, pen and ballpoint

C.

Just out of a lack of interesting new pens (and to keep this thread alive), I made some new pictures of the ones I already had, haha. Enjoy!

C.

Love the Pelikan 400 Grey, on my list ..... some day.

Best,

Dr Codfish

The patina on the trim, (Duofold), looks real nice.

I have one of them silver and black Al - Stars with an unmarked nib.

Do the older nibs write differently than modern Lamy Z80 nibs?

Christof,

(and to keep this thread alive) seems rather a half-empty comment on one of the best continuing threads on the site! Your knowledge, curiosity, research, collection, and photography make you and the blog a pen treasure.

I sympathize with you that coming up with new posts may be difficult, particularly if you feel you are repeating yourself or stretching a point as to what you feel is meaningful.

I have some thoughts:

What type of posts would you like to see from readers other than the much-deserved 'thank-you' s for your posts? Do you want questions from readers? Stuff from readers of possible interest? I have the usual assortment of Pelikans to satisfy my own curiosity plus other German brands to show minor points of interest to me. But compared to your definitive postings, my stuff would be blah. The only thing I might be able to add would be my own very questionable observations. I also accumulate for design reasons. I have to like the way a pens looks. Do you want comments on aesthetics? Do you want off-piste writing instruments? I have bought ten typewriters in the past few months from the 50s-60s for their design values and overtones eg a Kolibri and 'The Lives of Others'.

Reissue. Readers change. Many have not seen the treasures in your archive. Many can be reissued with a new insight for those who may have seen the post before. At some point pens are more than writing instruments to be collected and numbered. They are expressions of the many life styles and social attitudes of our changing society and can be presented in that light by someone with the knowledge and curiosity to explore.

• You have the role of curator. This can be applied as in the point above as well as to new topics as you see them. I would be very interested in what you are doing with the Zurich museum. Organization, arc of pens presented, continuity of themes, scholarship and curatorial inputs to displays ... your personal observations on the creation of this pen collection and its meaning to museum goers.

Christof, for you, these long-winded but heart-felt observations.

Grusse

Dick

NOTE: a few words added where needed to better complete the meaning lost in the first typing iteration. Sorry!

Dick

Thank you so much for your comments. It's good to have such dedicated readers as you are. You have asked one/some interesting/important questions:

• What type of posts would you like to see from readers

Well, first I have to make clear that I don't expect that readers invest in this thread. Though, it's great when they do, but as said, I don't expect that. For example: when someone has an execptional pen and would like to show this, he can do this in an own thread. There is no reason to do this hear, (except the reason that I would really appreciate it).

I started this, and it's my job to ensure that the show goes on. Discussions and interaction are a great things - if they happen - but I can not presuppose that.

So, the only thing I can say is: feel free to contribute if you feel like, if not, just enjoy. There is no rule except that you want it and you think it might be interesting.

C.

PS: I like typewriters as well but decided not to collect them. The only one I have is a Hermes Baby.

PPS: Do you know this blog? it's in German only... but it's exceptional!

Edited by christof