What's Up At Christof's

christof

While talking about the Safari, I just got this nice sticker in my mailbox:

18950687355_54c526c567_k.jpg

18762338330_5b4fa8c7ee_k.jpg

The sticker was part of a advertising campaign. The owner of the sticker got a Lamy T-shirt for free, when the number of the back of his sticker was shown at the shop window of a pen shop...

18763851949_317c985cd3_k.jpg

...probably back in the 80's.

C.

Hello Christof,

It's taken me a while to find your Lamy Safari sticker post just to check whether yours is the same as mine (apologies for the protective sleeve - hopefully the photo is reasonably clear enough). I've not seen any others but perhaps you have? I'll repost this also in the Safari thread started by Haywoody. Mine also has a number but it's on the front. Nothing on the back of mine.

Happy collecting!

Best wishes,

Chris

post-51331-0-00596500-1442744026_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Soot

• BMG

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally...

...I was able to complete my mini collection of Parker "51" Vacumatic Double Jewel. Now, I have all the colors:

21858892876_c8ec6750d4_k.jpg

I know that for some of you this is nothing breathtaking, but for me (and my collection) it's a mile stone.

Now, looking for the missing Aerometric colors...will take another 3 years.

C.

Congrats, Christof! Three years is not bad, at least you made it complete! I have yet to complete any of my mini collections... bugger!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats, Christof! Three years is not bad, at least you made it complete! I have yet to complete any of my mini collections... bugger!

I think that "complete" is a thing to be defined newly in every case...

c.

Edited by christof

Long time no see, but here comes another topic, one of my favourites:

Boxed Pens!

When I started collecting pens, I did not spend a lot of attention to boxes, adverts and other ephemera. But during the time, I had to learn that these things are quite interesting. Also it's important to understand how things were presented and marketed in the past. It’s also a great thing, being able to present a pen in the original case. I think this is much more attractive than showing only single pens. That’s why I tried to add pens with boxes to my collection when ever I was able to. Here some pictures:

21863424933_21faa0b848_k.jpg

Pair of Parker 61’s.

22458618986_0ad218bb2f_k.jpg

Parker “51“ set

22484618095_5f01a47a5c_k.jpg

Waterman’s Hundred Year pen, OS

22296667940_d556ce608e_k.jpg

Sheaffer’s Snorkel Triumph set

21861890664_e41d70f459_k.jpg

Parker 45

22495639331_bb3111b5a9_k.jpg[/url]

Parker Duofold Senior, Danish

21863438193_43bf61b96a_k.jpg

Parker 61 Presidential 14 carats

7873126778_fdac2532e9_k.jpg

Pelikan 100N Tortoise/RHR

14272607324_dfc2484ae5_k.jpg

Pelikan 112, 14 carats

14270966932_374d08bcb3_k.jpg

Pelikan 111

15872462504_40cbe08580_k.jpg

Pelikan 100

16666757706_be07313e38_k.jpg

Lamy 99S

16361197403_29d7fdd3e1_k.jpg

Lamy Persona

17834473056_833c2204d1_k.jpg

Pelikan 101 Tortoise

21865322573_166844d90d_o.jpg

Eversharp Doric set

If you also have pictures of your boxed pens, feel free to post them here.

C.

Hi Christof,

I totaly agree with your view on boxes, the problem is they are so hard to find...

There are some admirable examples in your collection, I specially like the Pelikan's simplicity, but one can't avoid admiring the beauty of that Doric set.

Answering your invitation, I'll dare post here a picture of one of the (very) few pen+box I have.

fpn_1445872390__ibis_boxed.jpg

Regards,

Christof, you have some very handsome boxed pens - a couple I recognize quite well but, as always with you, the sum is much more than the parts. Thanks for the great photos.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

What a wonderful collection, Christof !

Here's a 1937 oversize Vacumatic set made in Canada and manufactured for the French market (18k nib) in its Faux Shagreen box.

http://i66.tinypic.com/27yo74m.jpg

The thread only needs the admonition: Posts Without Pictures Will Be Deleted.

Then you can delete this one as well.

"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr

What a wonderful collection, Christof !

Here's a 1937 oversize Vacumatic set made in Canada and manufactured for the French market (18k nib) in its Faux Shagreen box.

http://i66.tinypic.com/27yo74m.jpg

What a fantastic set and box? You must have a luccky hand at fleamarkets. Congrats!

For me, it has become harder and harder to find nice pens in the wild. Last weekend, I visited our local fleamarket and bought a pen, I never paid any attention to before. Its a Rotring 600. Really, nothing very special...

22588484210_d372390fba_k.jpg

The reason for buying this pen is that I liked the well used appearance of this "tool". In my mind, I had a picture composition:

22524419260_56b4f6c807_o.jpg

I like the idea that this pen has seen lots of use and attention in his life, and that traces of this are well visible. If you imagine, that some pens like Kaweco Sports for example are available in a similar condition like this Rotring 600, but artificial produced... For me, this is something to think about. This Rotring seems so much more authentic. And it gives me a reason why some people prefer heavy and sturdy made pens like this.

C.

Edited by christof

Wabi/Sabi?

Perhaps applied to collections of well-designed objects that have been use-worn and time-worn to reflect their lives. The attraction for the collector is the mixture of good design and a reflection of life and time as passed through and experienced. The object has more than the immediate appearance of perfection of condition and can be more appreciated as a thoughtful experience of the sensation of actual life.

I enjoy putting used vintage pens in combination with other associated ephemera of the brand and model to create a slice of time past.

I understand your enjoyment of the Rotring 600. I have the the pen and pencil in their original German manufacture before the brand was swallowed up.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/japanese-aesthetics/

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WabiSabi

There was another pen coming in, right now. After a long stay at Swiss customs authority (hate,hate,hate!!!) the pen reached finally my door.

It's another Waterman's 52V, a 0852V to be correct. The ome with the nice broad cap band on the picture:

22788572215_e2c5a54ca3_k.jpg

You know already, I DO NOT collect Waterman pens.

...but these tiny, little, colored and shiny hardrubber things make an exception.

C.

PS: And yes, you are absolutely correct, these are no LAMY pens!

Edited by christof

22788572215_e2c5a54ca3_k.jpg

You know already, I DO NOT collect Waterman pens.

C,

you keep on finding these little ones! It's a never ending process~~ I am always thinking "what's new this time?" Ha~

Edited by Soot

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread all the way from the beginning and learned a lot about vintage pens that I never knew. But, the best part is the beauty of your photography. Thank you!

Congratulations Christof, I went over your complete post and i'm astonished seeing so many beautiful and rare pens !

Insuring such a collection must cost a lot.

Thanks for shearing !

I wonder if you also have UHU pens in your collection , I have a few and think these were extremely well made.

Francis

Francis,

After you mentioned UHU, I started actively looking for one. The search became successful last week and I have now a UHU noblesse. Here a picture of the pen in untouched condition:

22888536146_7be878117a_k.jpg

One funny thing is, that this pen seems strongly influenced by Pelikans 100N:

22522387149_73d5bb6b7f_k.jpg

A second funny thing is the piston mechanism. There seems to be a two step mechanism. First, one have to unscrew the filling knob before a second thread engages and the piston will be moved. Some kind of a security mechanism, right?

Will show pictues after restoration as well.

And here's an advertisement from 1949:

22933034851_b94c9745fa_z.jpg

(sorry for bad quality, picture was taken with Iphone in library...)

C.

Edited by christof