• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Soot

• BMG

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The sandblasted pen looks great, thank you for posting the pics. It makes me think that "frosted" is nicer than "demonstrator (clear)".

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

The sandblasted pen looks great, thank you for posting the pics. It makes me think that "frosted" is nicer than "demonstrator (clear)".

I like the frosted pen, too. I wonder if Lamy is paying attention.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Whoa. The sand-blasted Safari - looks great! The more I read this thread, the more I start thinking I need a lot more space and some equipment - and let the experimentation begin!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Christof,

I played around with this a bit, and sandblasted Pilot Prera.

It looked pretty good right after blasting but got dirty and grimy with use really fast.

The porous surface was hard to clean.

Do you have this problem with yours?

M

http://www.maryhatay.com/Mark/Fountain-Pens/Mixed-Pens/i-qv5h3mN/0/O/atramentum%20Digitis%20small.jpg

Christof,

I played around with this a bit, and sandblasted Pilot Prera.

It looked pretty good right after blasting but got dirty and grimy with use really fast.

The porous surface was hard to clean.

Do you have this problem with yours?

M

No.

c

Lately, I was able to catch a small lot of vintage Pelikans. There were some "semi" vintage Pens too like M400 and M20, P30 etc...

I never was interested in these "after Pelikan 400 era" pens. But now, I had the occasion to have a closer look which changed my mind abot these at the end:

19113631771_272ba454c5_k.jpgPelikan P30, Cartridgefiller, 1965-69

The reason for why I think that these pens are quite interesting are severals:

1. The M20/30 and P20/30 are the first pens of independent design after a long period of Pelikan beak clips, cap crowns ans striped barrels. I would say that these pens shows the first real modern design by Pelikan.

2. The M20/30 has a screwed piston mechanics. Since the Pelikan 100N went out of production, all pens were fitted with friction fit piston housings. The M20/30 makes a step back to a threaded mechanics which is much easyer to remove.

The 400NN was the last of the 400 series and went out of production in 1965. (for better color comparision, I took a 500NN)

18489715233_6826046c6c_k.jpgPelikan 500NN, 1956-6518922572910_28b0a9adf2_k.jpgPelikan P1, 1958-63

The Pelikan P1 (should have become the successor of the 400 series in 1958, but went 1963 out of production) was produced over a quite short period. The design was strongly affected by the Parker 61. (There even was a tassie at the end of the barrel.)

18922759108_32ae135a2z6_k.jpgParker 61, 1956

In 1960 the Pelikano was introduced. The Pelikano was the first cartridge filler by Pelikan.

5366167325_a2c425ec60_o.jpg
Pelikan Pelikano, First Year 1960

With the Pelikano came also the P15, which is actually identical to the Pelikano except the colors and surfaces. ...but still with beak clip....!

18922660408_8eec4387cb_k.jpgPelikan P25, Cartridgefiller, 1960

...But then in1965, the revolution begun: The M20/30 and the cartridge model P20/30 were completely different pens. New section design, new clip design and modern sleek shape.

18922664658_413c738b2b_k.jpg
18951066090_017ca20e6e_o.jpg

So that's why I think these are importand and remarkeable pens - for reasons of Pelikan design history.

C.

PS: In that lot has also been this pen. But that's a completely different story...

18859683688_b3c3c8e1b4_k.jpg

Edited by christof

PS: In that lot has also been this pen. But that's a completely different story...

I'm waiting to hear all about it. That pen looks very very nice! Please, tell us more...

--

Looks in remarkable shape! Like tenney, looking forward to the story...

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting to hear all about it. That pen looks very very nice! Please, tell us more...

Part of the "story" is for sure the nib:

]18989720141_56f8653e7d_z.jpg

It's a 18ct. nib with "K" = ball point tip, made in England !?!

C.

Edited by christof

Definitely an interesting nib. Made in England for Pelikan? Yowza!

--

Maybe, some of you know that I am a big fan of Parker "51". These pens are one of my main collecting focus because of reasons of design and technique. So I have a couple of Vacs, Aeros, DJ's and SJ's in my collection in several colors. I think these have been shown here already...

..that's why I'd like to show you some others. Actually, the successor of the P"51", the Parker 61. This sleek and elegant pen is one of my favourite pen designs ever. It's perfectly sized for my hands and I love the capillary filling system (when it works as it should...) for its simplicity and reliability. Recently i found the time to take my P 61 to the studio for a family portrait So here's the result:

19554137351_f8465a6294_o.jpg

From left to right:
Caribbean Green with Deluxe cap, capillary filler, 1959-62
Grey with Legacy cap, capillary filler, 1959-62
Desk pen, capillary filler, Date?
French made capillary filler with barley corn pattern cap, Date?
Custom, capillary filler 1959-69
Presidential 14ct., cartridge filler, 1969-82
Rage red with classic cap, capillary filler, 1959-69
Signet, capillary filler, 1959-69
Nice, aren't they?
C.
Edited by christof

Very nice collection. And I always thought that you were a Pelikan guy!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Does it bloom vintage Pelikans, I wonder? :-p

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Hello Christof,

Indeed you were right! A clutch of little Pelikans was waiting for me at my office. They were already so thirsty for ink, so I think I'll let them go play a little. Thank you for letting me know they had arrived – it was a very welcome break from too much work.

Regards,

Bill

post-88993-0-35344900-1437055221_thumb.jpg

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.