Edson Clip Removal?

Mattematical

Anyone know if an Edson clip can be removed? I see a screw inside the cap, so I'm hopeful. I've also heaed the cap liner is glued in, so I don't want to mess with it unknowingly if I can help it...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattematical

• Left FPN

• Ron Z

• jebib111

Top Posters In This Topic

Try the screw.

Alright :) I've been bitten a few times now by leaping in without doing my homework first, but if you think the screw is safe to try then I will! I'll report back here later.

It would appear that my assessment to the OP was wrong. My memory from when I worked on one years ago was that the inner cap was glued in. But even so, it sure looks like there are a lot of parts there that are just waiting to roll off the bench - for a cat (the shop is "no kitty land" in our house) to knock off into never never land. ...as in you'll never, never find it.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

What you have to appreciate is that some parts have a black tie holding them onto the board/paper so they may not be exactly as they look.

I assume the screw is the part to the right of 7. Like Ron says...undo the screw while holding the cap inside a poly bag.

PM just sent.

It would appear that my assessment to the OP was wrong. My memory from when I worked on one years ago was that the inner cap was glued in. But even so, it sure looks like there are a lot of parts there that are just waiting to roll off the bench - for a cat (the shop is "no kitty land" in our house) to knock off into never never land. ...as in you'll never, never find it.

How did you know I have 2 cats? Ha! Precautions noted. I like the idea of unscrewing while holding in a bag, too. Honestly I'm nervous to do this at all, but I'd love to get the cap back to the condition it should be in.

Puzzling out the above, I agree the screw is to the right of 7. It looks like there is a gold retaining ring holding the cap liner spring and cap liner, via the screw, to the gold part to the right of 6. That part, in addition to the silver screw visible inside the cap liner, looks like it takes the little set screw that goes through the cap wall and holds the raised trim ring to the cap. I can't figure out what part(s) 9 are for from this, or how the clip itself attaches to the cap. Will proceed slowly and document everything very well....

Ok, making good progress here, though the trim ring is a roadblock.

The silver screw on the left is indeed the one that you can see at the inside top of the cap. Removing it frees the clip spring, which goes along it. After the screw and spring are removed, the clip and piece 9 come out. I am not separating these, they are pinned together (it gives the clip the movement to rock, and I can't explain it well but the pictures should speak for themselves). Be careful when you slide this out the side of the cap, as it will cause a little brass retaining ring to drop out the bottom end of the cap (the piece seen to the right of the screw in the exploded view). That piece seems to sit nicely in the bottom of the rocking part for the clip. Piece 10 now very clearly comes out with that little screw, which would also free up the between 5 and 6 to drop out - except the cap liner is in the way, and the trim ring in the way of that. That's where I'm stuck right now - I have never removed a trim ring (cap band? piece 7, anyway) before, and it seems particularly risky to me.

Edited by Mattematical

I think IMGUR is having a few issues. Your link does not work. I use IMGUR for photo sharing and my links are also not working.

I suspect the cap ring is bonded to the cap body because like all other similar model designs it has no other retaining feature.

Keep up the good work.

Hard to believe or understand why Waterman have no caps when it's only been out of production for a few years. Those who purchased from the last batch will find out the warranty is no good. Also I wonder what they intend doing if and when someone has the known cap split issue...replace the complete pen with an Exception maybe.

Trying again with the album link: https://imgur.com/a/MHSA96i

Yeah, they told me that they simply had no caps or boxes in stock to offer one (they didn't mention anything about a whole replacement pen, and they knew I wanted one not because my cap had a mechanical defect but because it was dented and I wanted to fix it up). They were able to sell me a replacement blue and gold converter very reasonably :)

I think that may still be the case - or at least the cap band/trim ring is bonded or glued in, and that piece is holding in the inner cap liner. The small brass piece between 6 and 5 is clearly free to wiggle, but I can't get it out of the cap unless I can remove piece 7 and the cap liner, and I don't see how it's possible to do that safely (even if the graphic above suggests you can). Any thoughts?

The disassembly layout may well be from Waterman.

I cannot imagine anyone doing this to their 'expensive' pen.

One also wonders why every part does not have a number.

Can anyone spot the 'magic' valve which prevents the Edson from leaking at high altitude....or is it there at all.

You might try heat (hot water to start with) on the cap ring. Hold it about 15mm deep into a cup of boiling water. Wear rubber gloves to provide grip for undoing. Don't get too adventurous because of the plastic liner.

A number of years ago I had to make a cap ring to replace one that was missing. It's been 7 years now, but from the pictures I have, it appears that the cap ring was glued to the cap liner. When the liner broke it left the cap liner/inner cap broken off a little ways up inside the cap. IIRC it was really thin.

All of which is to say, be very careful and think carefully before you dive into this. Getting all of the little pieces back in, in the right order, and successfully would be quite challenging.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

A number of years ago I had to make a cap ring to replace one that was missing. It's been 7 years now, but from the pictures I have, it appears that the cap ring was glued to the cap liner. When the liner broke it left the cap liner/inner cap broken off a little ways up inside the cap. IIRC it was really thin.

All of which is to say, be very careful and think carefully before you dive into this. Getting all of the little pieces back in, in the right order, and successfully would be quite challenging.

Thanks Ron, I am not going to try for further disassembly. As it is, I can have the cap re-satined or urushi'ed (which would mask the dents if I decide to pay for it) and have the clip re-plated, etc. What I've done so far was very easy and easily reversible, and I'm not eager to break anything.