Does Anyone Know What Company Made Mottled Fountain Pens ?

phonelady61

i just bought a vintage pen and it does not have a makers mark on it or a name . It is from the 1940s and it is mottled . It will be here friday so i can post a picture but i would just like to have some idea who might have made it . thanks

Cathy :bunny01:

:happyberet:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• phonelady61

• MarcShiman

• inkstainedruth

• pajaro

I would love to see this.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

If its really a 1940's pen, its not hard rubber, and probably not celluloid (more likely cellulose acetate). I don't think there were any American makers working in a mottled (brown?) color, but there was some French makers of mottled colored rodstock.

I had a whole box of pen parts at one point, none of it branded. Obviously without seeing yours, I have no idea if this is the same thing.

post-2535-0-20704100-1589367198_thumb.jpg

If its really a 1940's pen, its not hard rubber, and probably not celluloid (more likely cellulose acetate). I don't think there were any American makers working in a mottled (brown?) color, but there was some French makers of mottled colored rodstock.

I had a whole box of pen parts at one point, none of it branded. Obviously without seeing yours, I have no idea if this is the same thing.

attachicon.gif 20170511_065251.jpg

okay now you have me worried , im worried i might have been burned ? is that what you are saying ? Oh god I sure hope not . i will post a pic as soon as i get it thanks

the one thing that has me puzzled is why someone would put an iridium nib on a vintage pen ? do people usually do that ?

I's very possible. Second tier (and sometimes even third tier) companies would have nice nibs on inexpensive pens. I had a no-name lever filler which had, when I got it, a 14C music nib on it. I've been told that the C (rather than a K) meant that it was an English made pen, or a German pen made for the export market (the pen was toast -- the nib is now gracing a vintage Parker Parkette. And I have a red/"Dusty Rose" Striped Duofold which came with a Sheaffer nib on it.....

Without seeing photos most people will not be able to help with the ID. Which (from your first description, could have been any number of vintage pen models: (my initial thought was "Esterbrook J series" but that description could also mean any number of brands : I've been told that the French company Bayard, had the most beautiful celluloids out there....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Bad news here the usps seems to have lost my vintage fountain pen and it just keeps saying in transit . Now for those of us who use the usps alot know that is code for we have lost the pkg and are scrambling to find it before we have to pay for it . Im not liking the sellers attitude either on ebay she is blaming ebay for saying guarantied delivery date . First place she should be apologizing for this instead of blaming ebay so therefore i wont buy from her again . A seller is responsible no matter what . That is the first step as a seller to accept responsibility .

In transit might just mean the package skipped a scan at one the waypoints. If it stays in transit past four business days then that is another matter. The seller can initiate a search but as I recall USPS does not consider a package late until at least 7 days after estimated delivery date.

Small boxes, where the bar code is on a different side than the address, miss scans fairly often. Tubes can easily miss scans. If the bar code became compromised in some way during its travels then the package will not scan until delivery and only then if the carrier manually enters the tracking ID#.

Been there!

With eBay, if you had a guaranteed delivery date then you can file a Late Delivery request and at least get some (up to $5?) refunded. If you did not pay for shipping then eBay gives you a $5 voucher.

I had trouble returning a pen to an eBay seller. I didn't realize that the stupid machines were alternating between reading the bar code on the original shipping label and the one I had put on. Bounced back and forth between Pittsburgh and Louisville for something like a month. I kept calling the USPS and a postal inspector kept trying to flag the package for me (and wasn't having any better luck than I was). The original seller probably thought I was nuts because I kept sending increasingly hysterical messages saying "I can't BELIEVE they've done this to me!" Finally I got a notice that it had been delivered.... To my front porch.... I wrapped the box in brown paper to hide the two shipping labels and wrote down all the pertinent info on the brown paper, and the seller FINALLY got the pen and I got my money back....

So yes, it could very well be the USPS's fault, not the seller's at all.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Which is why one should obtain a very large black Sharpie or similar marker, and black out any pre-existing labels on any box being reused for mailing...

Which is why one should obtain a very large black Sharpie or similar marker, and black out any pre-existing labels on any box being reused for mailing...

this is also why i have stopped using old padded envies for shipping because there could be just one mark that you miss and it could throw the whole shipping mess out of whack . thank you both im calm now im just scared it might be broken now or damaged because they have had it going back to this and then back to there . i pray it is not damaged .

well it finally got here . and im totally puzzled why this pen is so small .So any info would be very much appreciated thanks .

IMG_20200518_080225.jpg

IMG_20200518_080316.jpg

Mid-late 1930's pen made in New Jersey. Material made in Arlington, NJ by Dupont. Barrel turned by whoever was making Mabie Todd pens at the time, clips, rings and everything else coming from jobbers that made this stuff. Nib from someone else. It was a basic pen that were produced in huge quantities during the depression. Because all the parts were available and the only role of the "maker" was to assemble them, it could have been one of a lot of small companies that did this.

Mid-late 1930's pen made in New Jersey. Material made in Arlington, NJ by Dupont. Barrel turned by whoever was making Mabie Todd pens at the time, clips, rings and everything else coming from jobbers that made this stuff. Nib from someone else. It was a basic pen that were produced in huge quantities during the depression. Because all the parts were available and the only role of the "maker" was to assemble them, it could have been one of a lot of small companies that did this.

thank you .

Thanks for sharing the picture of your pen & I am happy to hear it has finally arrived!

I had hoped you would receive it, despite your fear after receiving the "in transit" notification & the trepidation that follows such a notice. I have also been perplexed by same & most recently when I had chosen to order a book from a state adjoining mine, assuming it would thus be received more promptly than one from a Seller in several states away. The shipping was standard cost, so assumably "book rate," & I was content for it to take longer but was mystified when it travelled several states NORTH of me to then travel south towards my destination! I also received the "in transit" during this journey & finally it made it here. The USPS has a decided way of determining shipment & it is often one that defies logic. I have always imagined that the "in transit" is just a standard message when there has been no defined tracking pattern to report; my worst fear is that it has fallen from a table during automated process & is now UNDER the table or in a corner of the room & will be undiscovered until someone is perhaps sweeping up & notices it!

I am just happy it has found it's way to you & that it will prove a pleasant wrier for you. I find all the earlier pens seem small to me; I was given a pen that was a Friend's Grandmother's, an Eagle Prestige, probably made in a time very similar to your pen. It is barely larger than a Kaweco Sport & considerably smaller than a Parker 51, demi size. I just think that many users were women & hence the smaller pen fit smaller hands (& perhaps handbags?) but cost of production during this time may have also influenced the size.

I don't use my pen much but was grateful when I found a FPN Member willing to restore it for me & enjoy seeing it's unique patterned material. I had met my Friend's Grandmother & am happy to have her pen.