Venvstas Magna Titanium Edition, Review

VENVSTAS

Hello !

We would like to share a review by David Parker on our Venvstas Italy 2020 Magna, the pen in the review is the version with the Titanium nib, which is the standard version, there's also a 14k version available.
Everything you need to know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNoYZFxueWM&t=17s

For any questions, just reply. I'm here to answer!

V

MarkMagna1.jpg

VENVSTAS ITALY

www.venvstas.com

info@venvstas.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VENVSTAS

• Paul-in-SF

• kazoolaw

• SpecTP

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought one of these after watching the review. There is one issue which is not mentioned there: if you dip the pen too far into the ink so that ink gets on the steel collar, it is very difficult to clean that out short of emptying the pen and washing it thoroughly, and starting over. The ink easily gets between the collar and the carbon-fiber barrel, and then it will also get on the steel collar inside the cap when you cap the pen, and every time you uncap the pen you will have ink to clean up before you can use the pen.

I bought mine from a dealer and did not get a use and care guide with it, perhaps there are some instructions there about not dipping the pen too deeply into the ink. However, it is generally very hard to see inside an ink bottle to make sure that this doesn't happen.

I really want to like this pen, I hope Venvstas has some advice for me that will make it all better.

• 4 weeks later...

The use and care guide did not have anything to help with this issue.

Here is a 2+ minute video devoted to inking up the pen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0XYkC609r8&t=8s Notice the vessel whence they are loading the ink: a wide, shallow sort of beaker. Why do they need to use such an unusual vessel? So they can hold the pen at the same angle as the metal nib holder, so that the nib can be fully immersed without the metal nib holder touching the ink. This is their solution to their crappy design.

I have managed to load ink into this pen a couple of times without making a total mess of it, but never yet without getting ink onto that silvery metal piece, and then onto the corresponding piece in the cap. I can use the pen without getting ink on my fingers from these places, but (as perhaps you can tell) it irritates the hell out of me. And it makes me sorry I bought the pen.

Certainly a looker and different/uniquely designed pen. I find it attractive.

But, $240 U.S. ?

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

Why not? An Edison signature pen that's all acrylic, converter and steel nib goes for $300.

This is a titanium no. 6 nib with a carbon outer shell, metal internal components and a custom built syringe filler system. I ordered one with the gold nib. The pen is VERY well built, to extremely high tolerances and is a wonderful writer. It's not a cheap pen that I admit, but at least its NOT Visconti priced, which would probably peg it in the $700 - $900 range.

Certainly a looker and different/uniquely designed pen. I find it attractive.

But, $240 U.S. ?

Edited by gerigo

Here is a 2+ minute video devoted to inking up the pen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0XYkC609r8&t=8s Notice the vessel whence they are loading the ink: a wide, shallow sort of beaker. Why do they need to use such an unusual vessel? So they can hold the pen at the same angle as the metal nib holder, so that the nib can be fully immersed without the metal nib holder touching the ink. This is their solution to their crappy design.

I have managed to load ink into this pen a couple of times without making a total mess of it, but never yet without getting ink onto that silvery metal piece, and then onto the corresponding piece in the cap. I can use the pen without getting ink on my fingers from these places, but (as perhaps you can tell) it irritates the hell out of me. And it makes me sorry I bought the pen.

Is that link to the correct video? That video is less than two minutes long and they never show it being filled.

Dear Paul from Frisco, you should just contact us. Thank you for your feedback. We never had complains on the filling of the pen, yours is the first and you have not written to us. We do not have dealers in USA, so let us know, we have no idea from who you bought the pen, as we provide instructions with the pen. You have to submerge the nib until the carbon, not the carbon, as that is "the section". It should not get any ink at all.

Just contact us and we'll do our best to help!

For everybody, if you buy the pen from our website, you have 2 weeks for sending back the pen if you don't like it, do not understand how it works, etc, we are also always open to any feedback to make our products even better.

A cartridge converter version of the Magna will be out soon too!

Thank you!

VENVSTAS ITALY

www.venvstas.com

info@venvstas.com

Is that link to the correct video? That video is less than two minutes long and they never show it being filled.

No,

That's incorrect.

There's a video devoted to that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h7OiY5UHWA

Just go through the whole channel.

Thank you !

VENVSTAS ITALY

www.venvstas.com

info@venvstas.com

Why not? An Edison signature pen that's all acrylic, converter and steel nib goes for $300.

This is a titanium no. 6 nib with a carbon outer shell, metal internal components and a custom built syringe filler system. I ordered one with the gold nib. The pen is VERY well built, to extremely high tolerances and is a wonderful writer. It's not a cheap pen that I admit, but at least its NOT Visconti priced, which would probably peg it in the $700 - $900 range.

That's right, and we are making a big effort by having the prices we have, pens are made in Italy, we use carbon fiber, standard nib is titanium, the pen loads 2.0ml of ink, even the piston mechanism is made in carbon fiber! Not to mention the loads of hand work involved and different processes, plus, we offer unique design, its a pen that doesn't look like any other on the market.

Thank you for showing that, the real value of a pen like the Magna, we know we have a competitive price and a hell of a product for that.

VENVSTAS ITALY

www.venvstas.com

info@venvstas.com

I don't consider any of David's youtube reviews to be considered a 'commercial'.

No, it isn't, I apologize for using the wrong link. I was originally going to link to both videos and then decided not to, and linked to the wrong one. I usually check my links before posting but I failed to do so this time.

Dear Paul from Frisco, you should just contact us. Thank you for your feedback. We never had complains on the filling of the pen, yours is the first and you have not written to us. We do not have dealers in USA, so let us know, we have no idea from who you bought the pen, as we provide instructions with the pen. You have to submerge the nib until the carbon, not the carbon, as that is "the section". It should not get any ink at all.

Just contact us and we'll do our best to help!

For everybody, if you buy the pen from our website, you have 2 weeks for sending back the pen if you don't like it, do not understand how it works, etc, we are also always open to any feedback to make our products even better.

A cartridge converter version of the Magna will be out soon too!

Thank you!

I have not gotten ink on the carbon fiber. I have, however, gotten ink on the silvery metal nib holder area, because there is no way to avoid doing that except to load ink the way they do in your video, with the pen held at 45 degrees, which no-one in the real world is going to do. Once you get ink on that silvery metal area, it is impossible to clean it off completely, and then when you cap the pen it gets on the silvery metal area of the cap. There it sits until the next time you clean out the pen. I consider this a design flaw, but I decided for my own reasons not to try to return the pen to the seller where I bought it. I thought people should be aware of this difficulty so that they could be informed consumers.

For the record, I bought my pen from an Italian pen shop, online. They had the pen and gold nib I wanted, and you were out of stock at the time.

I don't consider any of David's youtube reviews to be considered a 'commercial'.

Other than a link in post 1 I see nothing from or about David.

And the OP wasn't from David, it was from the manufacturer.

I think they are referring to Figboot on Pen's David. Correct me if I am wrong.

How is this "review" different than an extended commercial?

Figboot clearly stated that the pen was provided by Venvstas, and then Venvstas turns around and posts a link to that review.

I don't have any issue with Figboot's video about the pen. I'm always somewhat skeptical of any reviewer's opinion when the manufacturer provides the pen that way, but there's still value to be had.

But i think it's cheesy for Venvstas to provide a pen to get him to review it, AND then their own account posts a link to Figboot's review. IMO it devalues FPN when this forum just lists YT videos, especially when they're seeded by the manufacturer. And for what it's worth, the content of the OP does not contain a review, just a link to a review. Seems to me that this ought to be under The Market Place somewhere.

the video in the OP post links to Figboot on Pen's (David) review of the pen

Figboot clearly stated that the pen was provided by Venvstas, and then Venvstas turns around and posts a link to that review.

I don't have any issue with Figboot's video about the pen. I'm always somewhat skeptical of any reviewer's opinion when the manufacturer provides the pen that way, but there's still value to be had.

But i think it's cheesy for Venvstas to provide a pen to get him to review it, AND then their own account posts a link to Figboot's review. IMO it devalues FPN when this forum just lists YT videos, especially when they're seeded by the manufacturer. And for what it's worth, the content of the OP does not contain a review, just a link to a review. Seems to me that this ought to be under The Market Place somewhere.

Regardless if it's 'cheesy'. It's commonly done. Reviewers like David state upfront when they get loans of pens for reviews so it's transparent.

Regardless if it's 'cheesy'. It's commonly done. Reviewers like David state upfront when they get loans of pens for reviews so it's transparent.

To be clear, what the video reviewer did/didn't do was not the point of my comment. Though being told that the manufacturer supplied a pen to generate a review referenced here bolsters my point.

The manufacturer, who shall remain nameless, then links to a video it generated in a post on FPN, invites replies, and then carries on a sales pitch through several postings. This is sales, using an off-site review.

Liked the suggestion to move this to Market Watch.

Edited by gary

Full disclosure, for the record.

I have been contacted via a private message from Venvstas, who offered a full refund on the pen, even though I bought it through a third party. I have declined this offer, and here is the reason I gave them in my reply.

"In fact, I like everything else about the pen except the inking process, so I will keep it and use it and silently curse the designer who chose form over function every time I have to load it with ink."

Considering the negative nature of my posts so far about this pen, I thought it was only fair to include this relatively positive assessment as well.

This will be my final post on the subject (which I'm sure will be a relief to everyone).