Fake Sonnets On The Internet

PeterR-C

I seem to recall a thread where someone had suggested that one or more of the fakers were using a metal for the nibs that a) wasn't gold and B) wasn't magnetic.

I have a fake Kaweco Sport in brass that I am very fond of, not only for the fact that it cost me all of £3 delivered, it looks like the pic below, but also that the nib material had the malleable quailty of gold and was not magnetic.

Although I find it hard to imagine that a manufacturer could produce a well engineered pen in brass with a gold nib for less than the price of a good coffee,

Edited by Beechwood

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matlock

• PeterR-C

• thx1138

• Slimfish

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I seem to recall a thread where someone had suggested that one or more of the fakers were using a metal for the nibs that a) wasn't gold and B) wasn't magnetic.

Very true, but if it is magnetic then you know it isn't gold.

Peter

About 10/11 years these nibs and feeds were reproduced exactly.

The magnetic test no longer applies.( metal change )

As mentioned before - all modern ones have one flaw - nib printing.

Have a good look at the Parker diamond arrow, have never seen one that got it right.

Edited by Slimfish

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for these replies. Sanseri, following your prod I compleained to the vendor, showing him precisely why the pen was bad. After a fair bit of bluster he accepted what I said - and refunded my cash! He's now going to contact the people he got it from, so forth. So: all's well that ends well.

Slimfish - if you have more photos and/or tips about detecting fake sonnets, I for one would be very grateful.

Peter

Many thanks for these replies. Sanseri, following your prod I compleained to the vendor, showing him precisely why the pen was bad. After a fair bit of bluster he accepted what I said - and refunded my cash! He's now going to contact the people he got it from, so forth. So: all's well that ends well.

Slimfish - if you have more photos and/or tips about detecting fake sonnets, I for one would be very grateful.

Peter

Peter

There is a good vid on You tube from Waski, link below.

These pens have been around for some years now and they seem to come along in waves, all is quiet for a couple of months and then the market becomes flooded again. I must say that the quality of the fakes is not too bad, they can fool a lot of people who are attracted by the low price of under £10.

There is one prolific seller, from Devon if I recall correctly, I had better not give his full name but it begins with 'aged', although I think he has more than one account, perhaps avoid all Devon sellers of low priced Parkers. Oddly he holds his hands up very quickly if you point out that he has sold a fake. Ebay have been told but appear to have taken little or no action.

A couple of tips, the quality of the engraving is not as good as Parker, for example on the clip. The finish is often a little too brassy and shiny. the seller makes some odd claims such as 'takes Parker or International cartridges', the engraving on the nib is much worse than Parker. The pen is not sold with a Parker box or paperwork.

Waski You Tube clip

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+detect+a+fake+parker+sonnet&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b#kpvalbx=_Ui3RXpTXJIO68gKq8ZboAw20

Beechwood that is one really useful video, many thanks for the link. The clip, and the engraving round the bottom of the cap, are pretty clear giveaways when you know what you are looking for. Also, the fake in the video has (I think) got the same date code as the fakes I have (knowingly) seen: IIIQ.

I haven't come across the seller from Devon. I have seen fakes described as: "Parker sonnet. Compatible cap and barrel" - legalspeak, I suppose - from a trader in Yorkshire. Again, date code IIIQ.

I'm a bit nervous about some of my nibs, but that is a whole different story. Do you - or anyone else - have expertise here?

Peter

Another pricy counterfeit from an auction site.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Penna-Parker-Sonnet-Sterling-Tartan-Nib-M/223490844370?hash=item340917a6d2:g:Ma4AAOSw5cNYY5~q

Edit. I sent seller message asking for close up of clip but unfortunately it had just sold out.

Are you sure this is a fake as that seller appears to be an authorised Parker dealer?

Peter

Are you sure this is a fake as that seller appears to be an authorised Parker dealer?

Absolutely. Feathers are in the form of stamped pits. Guarantee of counterfeit pen.

Absolutely. Feathers are in the form of stamped pits. Guarantee of counterfeit pen.

Fair comment, another slightly suspect aspect is the mismatch between the logo on the nib and that on the pen band and box/leaflet although I have witnessed that on a genuine pen.

Peter

Note that in the blurb he states that the Newhaven factory "has since become the major manufacturing site for fountain pens and, from the 1980s, the H.Q. of this premier name in quality pens."

The Newhaven factory was closed in 2011. Something an authorized seller would know ...

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

Note that in the blurb he states that the Newhaven factory "has since become the major manufacturing site for fountain pens and, from the 1980s, the H.Q. of this premier name in quality pens."

The Newhaven factory was closed in 2011. Something an authorized seller would know ...

Actually the Newhaven factory closed in 2010 and the last pens were made in 2009. But, of course, the Sonnet was never made in Newhaven.

Peter

Actually the Newhaven factory closed in 2010 and the last pens were made in 2009. But, of course, the Sonnet was never made in Newhaven.

I looked at this sellers auction shop and every single sonnet is counterfeit, but selling at genuine prices.

High profits if you don't mind the ethical issues.

http://www.ebaystores.com/Blancheurpens-Restauri-e-Produzione/PARKER-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=8046686011&_sid=1294437231&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=2

I looked at this sellers auction shop and every single sonnet is counterfeit, but selling at genuine prices.

High profits if you don't mind the ethical issues.

http://www.ebaystores.com/Blancheurpens-Restauri-e-Produzione/PARKER-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=8046686011&_sid=1294437231&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=2

And he (or she) is not alone sadly.

Peter

My Sonnet Fougere has a IIL date code, making it 2nd qtr 1993, but I've read that it was introduced in 1994. Is that a problem?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

My Sonnet Fougere has a IIL date code, making it 2nd qtr 1993, but I've read that it was introduced in 1994. Is that a problem?

True the Sonnet was introduced in 1994 but it is likely that some would have been made 1993. As an example the Duofold was introduced in 1988 but a lot were actually made in 1987, several of mine are 1987.

Peter

There is a further issue that sellers may be using genuine Parkers in their ad, the pen that arrives may be different altogether.

It is foolish mentality, if the seller creates a plain clip and without Parker branding they could have a very good looking and saleable pen at close to Jinhao money.