What Parkers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

NumberSix

Saw a P51 on eBay, and put in a low bid. From above the (medium?) nib looked as if it had been worn to an angle, but I thought that maybe it would be usable.

Won it for £24.10 including postage. Black, dented rolled gold cap with the gold worn off the edges of the clip, no date code, plastic-ended sac protector - and the nib is an italic that writes very nicely although I suspect that it could do with a complete clean-out of the collector as it's skipping a bit today.

My cheapest P51 ... so far. :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carguy

• NumberSix

• inkstainedruth

• TheRedBeard

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was it maybe a first year model? Sometimes when it's unclear several buyers ask the seller for more photos which may confirm it to be a less common variant. I bought a ciselé on ebay a month or so ago for like $75 at the starting bid as well. They're always in great shape too and just need a polish.

I don't remember now. Certainly it was a flat top, but I don't know if it was advertised as a First Year or not; I had presumed that the mad bidding was due to the F nib, since most of the 75 listings at the time were for pens with M nibs. Which is why I was so surprised when the one I got, with a B nib, didn't have any other people even watching it besides me.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

As a matter of fact there IS a 1st year 75, albeit not a first edition right now for $180, available:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STERLING-SILVER-PARKER-FOUNTAIN-PEN-PEN-14K-GOLD-NIB/173872665860?hash=item287b9e5504:g:MjQAAOSwn6Jb9Pp3

That's still more than I paid for mine -- even counting in sales tax and shipping.

Okay, mine isn't a early one. But that's okay with me; I'm not a c-worder, so I only cared about a relatively good condition Ciselé 75 in sterling, because I liked the look of them, and because so many people on here sang the praises of 75s.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My P75 sterling Cisele dish top cost $75. Wouldn't work with red ink, had to use green. Fine nib. I like it, but it is just ok. I do like these 60s pens. Old like me.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

That's still more than I paid for mine -- even counting in sales tax and shipping.

Okay, mine isn't a early one. But that's okay with me; I'm not a c-worder, so I only cared about a relatively good condition Ciselé 75 in sterling, because I liked the look of them, and because so many people on here sang the praises of 75s.

Hi Ruth,

What's a "c-worder?"

Alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

Yeah, that's what it is. I don't remember who coined the phrase around here. A "c-worder" is someone who collects pens but doesn't (mostly) actually use them -- just puts them in display cases.

Me? I'm what I think OcalaFLGuy called an "accumuluser..." Yes, even the one Snorkel I bought that still had the nib sticker on the section. That gets used (and has a nice M-ish nib on it), once I had it checked out and think had to have the sac replaced (just a reminder that NOS doesn't necessarily mean that a pen is actually in working condition...).

Buying pens and NOT using them seems to be a waste of time and money, and certainly is boring and no fun, IMO. Which is another reason for looking for user-grade pens -- you save money on those vs. the NOS ones (it's the only way I could afford a Plum Demi Parker 51, and I got mine for a decent price, considering -- and it's a WONDERFUL writer, with its M-ish nib).

Not sure I could afford one nowadays....

I agree with Ruth, as I usually find I do, that, for me, a pen is to be used. My great grandfather had a saying that children should be seen and not heard, which I don't agree, but I didn't raise 9 of them. Pens should be heard as well as the little ones. Why have them if you don't care what they have to say?

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

"Why have them if you don't care what they have to say?"

Oh, what a lovely sentence! :wub:

So Ruth, Am I C- Worder ? I live next to the Parker honey hole. Please tell me what type of a pen person I am.

I go to an estate auction and buy all I can of Parker items at whole sale or below price, and in bulk.

I do like collecting advertising Jotters before 1980. The cleaner the advertising the better.

I buy all the Doufold's, Vac's & P51's that I can, and during the winter I clean them and make then function.

I will buy display cases and any other Parker [ non pen item ] that I can get my little grubby hands on. [ The more unique the better ]

I can not wait for the pen shows to start again so that I can sell the pens I rescued. I have not been to a flea market to sell pens at this year.

My inventory in building up.

I know I would never be able to ink up all the Fp's that I have and use them until the ink is gone. Speaking of ink [ Quink ] See that little icon photo in my profile?

All those boxes of Quink are full in that Parker Quink display.

What type of pen person am I Ruth?

"I can not wait for the pen shows to start again so that I can sell the pens I rescued. I have not been to a flea market to sell pens at this year."

I think this is key in deciding. I am uncomfortable trying to sell anything, and when I have tried I have not been very successful. So, when I acquire a pen, it will stay with me for the cruise unless I lose it or give it away. That rather determines that I not have more than I can use, although I do have a couple of gift pens that I don;t use but would not give away, ever.

I have concluded that there are a large number of categories into which we pen aficionados fall, so it's not easy to say where an individual fits.

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Just bought this one on r/pen_swap. It will be my first Vacumatic (even comes with a matching pencil - wonder if it's 0.9 lead?). Seller describes the nib as medium, which is nice, as most Vacs I see for sale tend to be finer nibs.

Also, this looks like a big'un. On the Parker Penography site, they show a lot of Vacs against a ruler, and very few of them break the 5-inch plane.

EwOeJc3.jpeg

You might have you a nice oversize or Maxima there.....mighty nice either way. My pearl Vac is a standard right at 5 inches. I want to find a blue DJ Maxima one day.....

Beautiful, @!Numbersix although I personally cannot make myself interested in this Parker. Funny how the hobby flows for me. I seem not to follow the usual path.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPERRY-UNIVAC-Computer-System-Pen/383729292513?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I just snapped on this Jotter on the bay of evil, for the price I am taking a chance that this maybe a Fat T-Ball Jotter. Looking at the profile of the pen and

placing the Fat T-Ball up to the screen [ back far enough ] for a comparison, I may get lucky. I have had only two Fat T-Ball Jotters and sold one some years back. :wallbash:

I do have more Parker Fat pencils [ 11 total ] . A hard Jotter to find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPERRY-UNIVAC-Computer-System-Pen/383729292513?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I just snapped on this Jotter on the bay of evil, for the price I am taking a chance that this maybe a Fat T-Ball Jotter. Looking at the profile of the pen and

placing the Fat T-Ball up to the screen [ back far enough ] for a comparison, I may get lucky. I have had only two Fat T-Ball Jotters and sold one some years back. :wallbash:

I do have more Parker Fat pencils [ 11 total ] . A hard Jotter to find.

Nice find. I like the logo. I don't see the word "Jotter" or "Ballpoint" anywhere on the listing. How did you find it? Do you just search for "Parker" now and then, to see what comes up?

My P75 sterling Cisele dish top cost $75. Wouldn't work with red ink, had to use green. Fine nib. I like it, but it is just ok. I do like these 60s pens. Old like me.

Very decent price, odd about the ink, perhaps letting the nib unit sit in water would help; I am still in thrall to mine, works great with Aonibi.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Nice find. I like the logo. I don't see the word "Jotter" or "Ballpoint" anywhere on the listing. How did you find it? Do you just search for "Parker" now and then, to see what comes up?

My last two Parker ball points were a stainless with gold clip 45 listed as a Jotter and a Jotter listed as a Parker ball point Shell pen since it had a Shell oil logo only. It was listed as blue. but actually a cream color and gold logo. Very nice and looked not to have been used. It was the early rounded, non logo button with brass threads.

It has the gel refil you recommended.

Edited by Estycollector

Just trolling. This is what I look for;

ihKJe1Q.jpg

See the top blue Jotter? The end of the barrel is fatter.

Below is my fat pencils

BgMtOfx.jpg

See the difference on the green pencils?

1uGkawN.jpg

These are hard to find ..