What Parkers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

NumberSix

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carguy

• NumberSix

• TheRedBeard

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The World’s most-faked pen?

Here is the first Parker Sonnet that I have bought:

large.IMG_3438.jpeg.1e3586147441660eb28a5dca6c06943f.jpeg

It was made in Q4 of 2007.

It has a stainless steel ‘M’ nib.

Its body and cap are in the ‘brushed steel’ finish, and have chromed trim.

I have tagged it as a ‘Flighter’, although that term might, strictly-speaking, perhaps ought to only be applied to steel pens that have gold trim 🤷‍♂️

In my opinion, this vintage of this finish has the prettiest version of the Sonnet cap band, and also one of the nicer nib-imprints.

And it is a genuine Made-in-France Parker Sonnet, rather than one of the many cheap Chinese fakes with which the interwebs are sadly awash!

I have not inked it yet. It arrived today, so is currently in the process of ‘clean-up’.
I have rinsed its section/feed/nib under running tap water, and at the moment it is wicking plain water through its nib.
I bought it as a ‘pre-owned’ (or nth-hand) pen, so I am removing all traces of old ink from it before I put any ink in it.

Once I do, I shall find out whether or not this pen suffers from the cracked inner-cap that bedevils so many Sonnets, and causes them to hard-start - or even dry-out - as ink evaporates out of the capped pen.

I can though already confirm that its feel in-hand is that of a well-made pen - its build-quality is far superior to that of the Frontiers that I own.

I got this Sonnet for less than £25 :)
I therefore consider it to be a good deal, even if I subsequently find that I need to buy some Araldite to drip in to its inner cap in order to seal-up any cracks!

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

8 hours ago, Mercian said:

The World’s most-faked pen?

Here is the first Parker Sonnet that I have bought:

large.IMG_3438.jpeg.1e3586147441660eb28a5dca6c06943f.jpeg

It was made in Q4 of 2007.

It has a stainless steel ‘M’ nib.

Its body and cap are in the ‘brushed steel’ finish, and have chromed trim.

I have tagged it as a ‘Flighter’, although that term might, strictly-speaking, perhaps ought to only be applied to steel pens that have gold trim 🤷‍♂️

In my opinion, this vintage of this finish has the prettiest version of the Sonnet cap band, and also one of the nicer nib-imprints.

And it is a genuine Made-in-France Parker Sonnet, rather than one of the many cheap Chinese fakes with which the interwebs are sadly awash!

I have not inked it yet. It arrived today, so is currently in the process of ‘clean-up’.
I have rinsed its section/feed/nib under running tap water, and at the moment it is wicking plain water through its nib.
I bought it as a ‘pre-owned’ (or nth-hand) pen, so I am removing all traces of old ink from it before I put any ink in it.

Once I do, I shall find out whether or not this pen suffers from the cracked inner-cap that bedevils so many Sonnets, and causes them to hard-start - or even dry-out - as ink evaporates out of the capped pen.

I can though already confirm that its feel in-hand is that of a well-made pen - its build-quality is far superior to that of the Frontiers that I own.

I got this Sonnet for less than £25 :)
I therefore consider it to be a good deal, even if I subsequently find that I need to buy some Araldite to drip in to its inner cap in order to seal-up any cracks!

That’s a classy looking pen! I might need one of those in that finish….

11 minutes ago, Carguy said:

That’s a classy looking pen! I might need one of those in that finish….

:thumbup:

I like the ‘brushed steel’ finish with chrome trim - it is hard-wearing, and it ‘matches’ every colour of ink :)

Do take care though - I have found that I have developed a desire to acquire an example of that finish in pretty much every Parker model that I own (FP, BP, or MP) :unsure:

Edit to add:

One can buy 18k gold nibs for the Sonnet which are either ‘white gold’ or are rhodium-plated. Either way, they match this finish very well, and they just screw-in to the grip-section.
I’m afraid that I can see the purchase of one looming in my near-future :D

mini-postcard-exc.png

17 minutes ago, Mercian said:

:thumbup:

I like the ‘brushed steel’ finish with chrome trim - it is hard-wearing, and it ‘matches’ every colour of ink :)

Do take care though - I have found that I have developed a desire to acquire an example of that finish in pretty much every Parker model that I own (FP, BP, or MP) :unsure:

Edit to add:

One can buy 18k gold nibs for the Sonnet which are either ‘white gold’ or are rhodium-plated. Either way, they match this finish very well, and they just screw-in to the grip-section.
I’m afraid that I can see the purchase of one looming in my near-future :D

Yes, my first pen was a Sterling Silver sonnet in the Fougere finish many years ago. I just reminded myself that I have 6 other Sonnets right now that never see ink or writing time, so I probably won’t buy it.

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2024 at 5:59 PM, Penguincollector said:

I bought a blue Parker IM monochrome, pictures to come when delivered. I have had this pen in my sights since it debuted, so I’m pretty excited about it. I know it’s just a coating, but that blue nib looks so good! 😊

This thread is crying-out for a photo of your lovely IM Monochrome in the ‘very’ Blue finish 😉

mini-postcard-exc.png

large.IMG_0724.jpeg.48174980bd78d5d7124e6a2f5f807736.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Mercian said:

This thread is crying-out for a photo of your lovely IM Monochrome in the ‘very’ Blue finish 😉

large.IMG_4571.jpeg.216372c1f17aa4b8d5b205a822288ed6.jpeg

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Grey Parker 45 GT, Octanium F nib, Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Man that’s pretty! I am not a huge fan of modern Parker pens but I do like that blue.

On that note, I received three Kullock 51 creations from Peyton Street Pens.  I think I have more Kullock created 51’s than regular ones at this point.

Three Parker Sonnet’s on the way.  Satin black, midnight blue and autumn red.  For some reason I just love the Sonnet and needed more.  Oh, and a Parker Urban Metallic Brown is on the way too.  The aesthetics of that one really appeal to me.

Parker Duofold Classic Pens CP5

20240326_210611.thumb.jpg.ea15e3389799af091d5acd416f6d2d50.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

3 hours ago, Carguy said:

Man that’s pretty! I am not a huge fan of modern Parker pens but I do like that blue.

On that note, I received three Kullock 51 creations from Peyton Street Pens.  I think I have more Kullock created 51’s than regular ones at this point.

Thanks! It’s a really nice writer as well. I skipped a whole generation of Parkers from the mid ‘90s until this one came along and caught my eye. 

I really want a Kullock silver cap for a 51, and the lovely colors for the cap jewels.

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Grey Parker 45 GT, Octanium F nib, Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

8 hours ago, BamaAl said:

Oh, and a Parker Urban Metallic Brown is on the way too.  The aesthetics of that one really appeal to me.

Is your Urban an example of the first version of the pen (with the ‘Coke bottle’ curves)?
Or is it one of the post-2016 ‘refresh’ models, whose silhouette is more-reminiscent of a jugglers’ club?

I own a few examples of the first-version Urban, e.g. here’s a (poor) photo of my Urban ‘Premium’ in the ‘Ebony’ finish:

large.48F5AD40-06EC-4C38-A688-886D8B2A8472.jpeg.8c42c624e4ef7d756a77852b8ee5db4d.jpeg

‘Posting’ the cap throws the pen’s balance off a bit, but its curvy body pleases me, and it’s a reliable writer too 😊

mini-postcard-exc.png

16 hours ago, Mercian said:

Is your Urban an example of the first version of the pen (with the ‘Coke bottle’ curves)?
Or is it one of the post-2016 ‘refresh’ models, whose silhouette is more-reminiscent of a jugglers’ club?

I own a few examples of the first-version Urban, e.g. here’s a (poor) photo of my Urban ‘Premium’ in the ‘Ebony’ finish:

large.48F5AD40-06EC-4C38-A688-886D8B2A8472.jpeg.8c42c624e4ef7d756a77852b8ee5db4d.jpeg

‘Posting’ the cap throws the pen’s balance off a bit, but its curvy body pleases me, and it’s a reliable writer too 😊

It’s the newer version.  I got offered one of the early “premiums” for $186 the other day but that sounds awfully high to me.

3 hours ago, BamaAl said:

It’s the newer version.  I got offered one of the early “premiums” for $186 the other day but that sounds awfully high to me.

Awfully high sounds very Downton Abbey.

I need to up my game.

But I agree, it does.