What Parkers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

NumberSix

My recent Parkers are Duofold Senior "Big Red" and  Duofold Centennial SE "Orange".

As you see, they are almost the same colors.

They have been my grail pens.

KIMG1029.JPG

Please visit my website Modern Pelikan Pens for the latest information. It is updating and correcting original articles posted in "Dating Pelikan fountain Pen".

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NumberSix

• Carguy

• TheRedBeard

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tacitus- thanks for the picture of your Duofold pens. I have a Duofold Sr Lucky Curve just like yours, but my Duofold Centennials are a Black one and a Green one. Wonderful pens, both of yours!!!!:)

I sort of am in envy of  those of you who find the Duofold attractive. I am definately in the minority...LOL!!

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

On 1/2/2021 at 11:44 AM, tacitus said:

I have been Pelikan fan😜.

My first post in Parker topic is...

The first black duofold (1923) and the first black centennial (with flat and short clip)(1987). The original duofold reminds me of the first Pelikan.

KIMG0989.JPG

Congrats on your beautiful vintage Duofold! The bandless version is quite rare.

Not sure if it qualifies as “lately” ;-), I have only one Parker FP is a Duofold Centennial Red Marble purchased in 1987 with one of my first salaries.
I have been using it almost daily since then, including all my college notes.

C1263E93-201A-4764-A601-360CC4F08021.jpeg

9 hours ago, tacitus said:

My recent Parkers are Duofold Senior "Big Red" and  Duofold Centennial SE "Orange".

As you see, they are almost the same colors.

They have been my grail pens.

KIMG1029.JPG

Just for the fun of it 😀: It's like going to a costume party wearing the same things 😀IMG_8416.thumb.jpg.b1a53af71b8a63af965bbdf2687a6b79.jpg

I just got a notice from a favorite pen dealer that Parker is now re-issuing the Parker 51. Now (January 2021) they can be back-ordered for delivery in February.

15 minutes ago, carolinius said:

I just got a notice from a favorite pen dealer that Parker is now re-issuing the Parker 51. Now (January 2021) they can be back-ordered for delivery in February.

Here is a recent thread. Parker 51 Comeback 2020? - Page 12 - Parker - The Fountain Pen Network

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

19 hours ago, Wolverine1 said:

Tacitus- thanks for the picture of your Duofold pens. I have a Duofold Sr Lucky Curve just like yours, but my Duofold Centennials are a Black one and a Green one. Wonderful pens, both of yours!!!!:)

19 hours ago, Estycollector said:

I sort of am in envy of  those of you who find the Duofold attractive. I am definately in the minority...LOL!!

19 hours ago, como said:

Congrats on your beautiful vintage Duofold! The bandless version is quite rare.

19 hours ago, Torrente said:

Not sure if it qualifies as “lately” ;-), I have only one Parker FP is a Duofold Centennial Red Marble purchased in 1987 with one of my first salaries.
I have been using it almost daily since then, including all my college notes.

C1263E93-201A-4764-A601-360CC4F08021.jpeg

18 hours ago, como said:

Just for the fun of it 😀: It's like going to a costume party wearing the same things 😀IMG_8416.thumb.jpg.b1a53af71b8a63af965bbdf2687a6b79.jpg

Thank you all for the comments🥰

Please visit my website Modern Pelikan Pens for the latest information. It is updating and correcting original articles posted in "Dating Pelikan fountain Pen".

At the beginning of November, I didn't own a single Parker. I'm not sure why I'd avoided the brand-it wasn't intentional but had just never come across my radar.

I was at a friend's house to buy his MB 149, and just happened to mention that I'd like to have a Parker 51. He handed me a coffee cup full of 50s and 60s Parkers and Sheaffers pretty much in as-is, as found condition. I picked 6 pens out of the cup-two Snorkels, a 51 Vac, 51 Aero, 51 Special with a mangled nib, and a 21.

Of that bunch, the 21 and the 51 Aero came to life with a thorough flushing. I've been using the 51 regularly. I gave up on fixing the Special nib, and it may never be fixed. The Vac dipped nicely and sort of filled, but of course leaked. I was sending some pens to Ron Zorn, and tossed that one in the box.

From there, I kind of went deeper. I saw a 61 C/C with a broad nib new in box and uninked in the classifieds here, and bought it. It arrived a couple of days ago, although I "broke the streak" and could help sticking a Quink cartridge in it. It's a wonderful writer.

Along the way, I bought a pair of Vacumatics from Ron Zorn, a Major and a Junior. They arrived, of course, operating perfectly and the Major in particular has an amazing and wonderfully smooth writing nib.

I wanted a Duofold, so again an email to Ron and he offers a black hard rubber one. I get it, and after I look it over closely it leaves both of us a bit stumped. It is the size and shape of a Duofold, and in fact has a Duofold cap on it(he reported that it's not the original cap, and that the pen came to him with a celluloid cap. He had a black celluloid pen with a hard rubber cap, so swapped the two). It has the "Lucky Curve" banner, but does not say Duofold on it. From what i can find, and reading a discussion of a similar pen here, it seems to likely be from very shortly before the Duofold, perhaps 1919 or 1920. Ron reported to me that it did in fact have a Lucky Curve feed. Regardless, it has a lovely little smooth nib that was graded XF and is a nice wet writer.

Famous last words, but I'd like to say I'm mostly done for now. I'd still like a "Big Red" Duofold, and perhaps an oversize/Maxima Vacumatic. I'm really interested in a capillary filling 61, but I've heard some less than flattering things about the 61 as a whole, and specifically that filling system.

Don’t shy away from the 61 altogether....the capillary fill system isn’t bad unless it gets seriously gunked up. This pen simply needs to be written with every day when inked, it definitely is not one to leave inked and sitting. The nibs on these are usually amazing writers.

I have 2 of the Big Red Duofolds and if properly restored they are beautiful writers. May be listing one of mine shortly though to fund more 51’s....

3 hours ago, bunnspecial said:

At the beginning of November, I didn't own a single Parker. I'm not sure why I'd avoided the brand-it wasn't intentional but had just never come across my radar.

I know the feeling! In November, I owned zero Montblancs.

Now I have three - all 1980s or older. I have two more out for delivery today (from Japan!), and another one that should be shipping in the next day or two. 

0-to-6 in 60 days. 

Re: Oversize Vac - I have a gorgeous pen/pencil set that you might like, and I am not using it. PM me if you want to discuss. 

8 hours ago, Carguy said:

Don’t shy away from the 61 altogether....the capillary fill system isn’t bad unless it gets seriously gunked up. This pen simply needs to be written with every day when inked, it definitely is not one to leave inked and sitting. The nibs on these are usually amazing writers.

The main thing about 61s is to not use supersaturated inks in the capillary fillers.  I've found J Herbin Eclat de Saphir works very well, for instance.  

The only real problem with 61s is that the plastic used for them is very brittle -- I've had a couple crack on me now, and if the hoods crack they leak really badly. :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The only cap 61 I’ve owned didn’t write at all, no matter how much I flushed or inked it. Sure was purty, though. 

My input: unused Parker 75 Flamme silver-plated, Fine nib.

Sorry for bad photo - had poor light there...

Parker-75-1-2.jpg

All the best is only beginning now...

Some 51 and 61 restored. Whenever I work on one of these pens I am impressed with the durability and quality of the materials. In this mixture I have manufactured in the USA, Canada, Brazil and England. Demi size, special, Vacs, Aerometrics versions. Regards

WP_20210113_14_48_22_Rich (2).jpg

WP_20210113_14_52_49_Rich (2).jpg

10 hours ago, TheRedBeard said:

My input: unused Parker 75 Flamme silver-plated, Fine nib.

Sorry for bad photo - had poor light there...

Parker-75-1-2.jpg

Quite an attractive pattern! I learned that the front section can be rotated to adjust for the nib position relative to the grip. Does the mechanism feel solid? I've been curious about this. Thank you!

8 hours ago, como said:

Um padrão bastante atraente! Aprendi que a seção frontal pode ser girada para se ajustar à posição da ponta em relação ao punho. O mecanismo parece sólido? Estou curioso sobre isso. Obrigado!

Said, the Parker 75 pens have a movable nib and feeder set, they can be twisted to adjust the most comfortable writing angle. In addition, the collar is marked at an angle to facilitate adjustment. Some sets had a tool that allowed the adjustment without getting your fingers dirty, as shown in the attached photo.

WP_20210114_12_25_45_Rich.jpg

WP_20210114_12_25_57_Rich.jpg

8 hours ago, como said:

Quite an attractive pattern! I learned that the front section can be rotated to adjust for the nib position relative to the grip. Does the mechanism feel solid? I've been curious about this. Thank you!

Thanks, Como.

Yes, this pen has that feature but I have not tried it yet, so can't judge, sorry.

I am sure there are experienced Parker experts on this forum who can give you an accurate answer.

22 minutes ago, Switala said:

Said, the Parker 75 pens have a movable nib and feeder set, they can be twisted to adjust the most comfortable writing angle. In addition, the collar is marked at an angle to facilitate adjustment. Some sets had a tool that allowed the adjustment without getting your fingers dirty, as shown in the attached photo.

WP_20210114_12_25_45_Rich.jpg

WP_20210114_12_25_57_Rich.jpg

Very nice 75s :)

I have been looking for a such one but failed to find at NOS condition...