What Parkers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

NumberSix

Parker 51 aero arrived today. Black with lustalloy cap.

Supposed to be a medium nib but when it arrived it is another broad stub, about the fifth in a row.

Is finding an English made medium possible or are they all medium to broad stubs?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NumberSix

• Carguy

• TheRedBeard

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Parker 51 aero arrived today. Black with lustalloy cap.

Supposed to be a medium nib but when it arrived it is another broad stub, about the fifth in a row.

Is finding an English made medium possible or are they all medium to broad stubs?

It is my experience that English pens idea of a medium is our idea of a broad or stub....at least every one that I have received has been that way.

• 1 month later...

I bought a lovely Parkette recently, which I sent off to Danny Fudge to restore. Just got it back a few days ago. And I have a Super 21 coming, which may be in my lockbox as of Saturday.

But in the last month or so, I have become obsessed with ballpoint/pencil sets. That new collection includes the following Parkers:

Stainless Jotter BP/Pencil

Flighter 45 BP/Pencil

25 BP/Pencil

I loved the 25's form factor from the moment I saw one, but none of the 3 FPs I ever bought worked worth a damn. Once I got into this new Ballpoint game, I tracked down a pen and pencil. The Pencil has a tiny 7-Up logo on the top, where a jewel or Parker logo would be. But it's unobtrusive, and P25 mechanical pencils are not as common on ebay. It looks great. 

A bourgogne 1937 Parkette (3b). I have almost finished restoring it. I am waiting for the ink sac in the mail.

IM - in the blackest-black edition, with matching ballpoint. I love Parker ballpoints, they feel so comfortable to write with!

I picked up a Parker Duofold Centennial in the Big Red finish a few weeks ago. Not a pen that I ever thought I would be interested in, but after seeing one in person a year or so ago, have been lusting over them and finally found one for a pretty reasonable price. Went with a fine nib, which is in reality a little thick even by Western standards and quite a bit broader than the Japanese fines I generally gravitate toward, but it's a smooth, wet writer and I'm really enjoying it so far. So much so that I think I'm on the hunt for a matching International-sized one since the Centennial is a bit of a chunker and has problems fitting into a lot of the pen loops on my normal rotation of folios.

IMG_4303.jpg

A new old stock Parker 75 flighter:

50579004136_14a0b02827_3k.jpgParker 75 Flighter by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

actually, I never wanted a P 75, but I am fascinated by flighters and the price was too good, so I bought it.

C.

Cool!  What color is yours?  I have found it much easier (at least around here in the US) to find 51s with fine nibs, and occasionally with EF nibs) than to find medium nibs for EITHER Aerometrics or 51Vacs.  I do have an OB nib on one of the Aeros, but it's an English-made one.  The only regular B nib I've ever seen was on one a friend of mine bought and posted pix of up on Facebook (blaming me for his new "addiction".  He thought it might be Plum -- I suspected that it was really Burgundy, so I had him show up at a pen club meeting to do a side-by-side with my Plum Demi (one of only two I have with M nibs -- the other being a Midnight Blue Aero) -- and I turned out to be correct in my surmise from seeing the photo.  

I also told him that since he collects Sheaffer desk pen sets he can NOT under any circumstances blame me.  The 51 with the B nib, though?  Yeah, well, that's a fair cop....

:D

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 12/7/2020 at 12:29 AM, christof said:

A new old stock Parker 75 flighter:

50579004136_14a0b02827_3k.jpgParker 75 Flighter by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

actually, I never wanted a P 75, but I am fascinated by flighters and the price was too good, so I bought it.

C.

Have you tried posting it? I have never owned a 75. But on my 45 flighter, the cap would go flying all the time if I was not careful while writing. 

4 hours ago, NumberSix said:

Have you tried posting it? I have never owned a 75. But on my 45 flighter, the cap would go flying all the time if I was not careful while writing. 

Not sure why the 45 Flighters do that. Both my flight and my Coronet both do it as well

15 hours ago, NumberSix said:

Yes, I have - the cap can be posted safely. No problem with that. secure posting is an important criterion for me.

My most recent Parkers were 3 silver Parker Sonnets that my friend found in his late father's desk after his father passed away recently.  His late father was a retired Professor at the Univ of Michigan, and was a fountain pen user.  So, a couple of days back, I was called to their home, a block away from mine, and I was given the 3 Sonnets, and 7 bottles of  unopened Quink Royal Blue ink. The pens look like they are from the late 1980s or early 1990s, and the ink bottles might be from the same time frame.  Two of the pens have fine nibs, and one medium. The fines actually behave like medium nibs, and the medium nib actually quite thick, behaves more like a broad.  They are very nice pens, though, next time I go to the Ohio Pen Show, I might get a nibmeister make the nibs behave like they were real fine  nibs.

58 minutes ago, Wolverine1 said:

My most recent Parkers were 3 silver Parker Sonnets that my friend found in his late father's desk after his father passed away recently.  His late father was a retired Professor at the Univ of Michigan, and was a fountain pen user.  So, a couple of days back, I was called to their home, a block away from mine, and I was given the 3 Sonnets, and 7 bottles of  unopened Quink Royal Blue ink. The pens look like they are from the late 1980s or early 1990s, and the ink bottles might be from the same time frame.  Two of the pens have fine nibs, and one medium. The fines actually behave like medium nibs, and the medium nib actually quite thick, behaves more like a broad.  They are very nice pens, though, next time I go to the Ohio Pen Show, I might get a nibmeister make the nibs behave like they were real fine  nibs.

Sad circumstances, but what a wonderful gift!

3 hours ago, NumberSix said:

Sad circumstances, but what a wonderful gift!

NumberSix- it indeed was a wonderful gift!!!  During this pandemic and even previously, since my friend's parents lived a block away, I would visit them weekly, and we would sit and chat. Talked about books, about poetry, about coffee, and tea. So, I guess when Prof H passed away, his wife and their sons decided that I should be the recipient of his beloved Parker pens.

During the site downtime, I bought a beautiful little Parkette in the red acrylic - dating to around 1938, I think. I forgot the first rule of lever-fillers, which is of course, "Do not try to fill if you don't know it's been restored." Something snapped, and the lever became all floppy. 

I sent it off to Danny Fudge and got it back a few weeks ago. Tonight I inked it up with Perle Noire - it's a very Fine nib, so I wanted a more flowy ink. 

It's writing great. The lever is still a little wiggly, but nothing like it was before. And when pulling the lever to fill, it's obvious it's nice and solid now.  

I am pleased.

Here is my Parkette. The color is much more vibrant, despite my poor lighting. (I think this pink/red with black tips is a standard color, based on https://parkerpens.net/parco.html#parkette).

It's about 4 3/4" capped. 

The nearest match I can find on the parkerpens site is the 1938 Junior, but the clip is different. None of the clips/caps matches mine exactly on that site. Maybe in the last 80 years, the clip was switched out at some point. 

178657784_4vuflhr.jpg 178657785_bvbvrzh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today the last two Parker's that I bought for the year arrived today. A Parker mechanical pencil from 1963 [ how could I

tell ] The pencil says Schlitz press club picnic 1963. The other is a P45 that says the following on the barrel

Try A Real Pen

Win $5000!

In Parker's

Amazing

Writing Discovery

Sweepstakes

This pen will go into my high end advertising collecting.

That P45 sounds fascinating!  I'd love to know the history behind the sweepstakes.  I tried doing a Google Search, and only found a similarly marked 45 in an old auction catalog from 2014 on the GoPens website.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."