What Parkers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

NumberSix

What type of pen person am I Ruth?

Well, since you're restoring them to working condition, I'd say you're NOT a C-worder. Because you care that they ARE working. And since you're then selling a lot of them on, I'd say that you were a dealer (maybe even an enabler? :D).

I'd also say that man, I wanna go shopping with YOU sometime.... You go to the coolest estate auctions on the planet.... B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NumberSix

• Carguy

• TheRedBeard

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oops -- dreaded double post.

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, since you're restoring them to working condition, I'd say you're NOT a C-worder. Because you care that they ARE working. And since you're then selling a lot of them on, I'd say that you were a dealer (maybe even an enabler? :D).

I'd also say that man, I wanna go shopping with YOU sometime.... You go to the coolest estate auctions on the planet.... B)

Thanks . I may have forgotten the word [ picker ]. I am NOT the type that needs every date code for each Vac. Like I said before Parker was in the business of making

and selling pens. They made franken pens ....

Edited by JotterAddict62

Speaking of Parker Frankenpens. . .

Here's a fun update from Tim at Parker51.com re my Vac 51 (in for filler restoration):

The nib and cap are Canadian. The barrel is US..Other parts….no way to tell. It was probably a Canadian pen repaired in the US, hence a US marked 1948 barrel with the original 1946 Canadian nib.. Whatever,…makes no difference to writing function..US, UK and Canadian parts are interchangeable.

This question came up because I asked about replacing the cap. He has a US cap that he says looks better than mine, and the price is reasonable. But I decided to stay with my beat-up Canadian cap. It's gives the pen character, and this one's a daily driver type pen - not a display model!

He also said he could "replace" the blue diamond, which is what originally made me ask about a new cap - he says they were just painted on!

Edited by NumberSix

Just bought this one on r/pen_swap. It will be my first Vacumatic (even comes with a matching pencil - wonder if it's 0.9 lead?). Seller describes the nib as medium, which is nice, as most Vacs I see for sale tend to be finer nibs.

Also, this looks like a big'un. On the Parker Penography site, they show a lot of Vacs against a ruler, and very few of them break the 5-inch plane.

attachicon.gif EwOeJc3.jpeg

My Vac arrived a couple of days ago, and it's a beaut. I inked it up with Serenity Blue, thinking that was the safest ink I have, and . . . it wouldn't write a line. So I waited until the next day. Still nothing. So I thought maybe I messed up filling it, but when I flushed, a bunch of blue ink came out.

So after letting it dry overnight, I loaded it up with some Quink just now. And it's writing great! Maybe there was some dried ink in the feed? That's all I can figure.

Unfortunately, I meant to use Quink Blue-Black, and I seem to have grabbed Black. No harm done, aside from the fact that I have several pens inked with Black already!

Fun note: As expected, this is a big pen. Uncapped, it's maybe a mm shorter than my 51 Special. That's good -- it makes for comfortable non-posted writing, and I can protect against scratches that way.

I love a good estate sale day! Picked up a 1945 DJ 51 for half of the ridiculous sum they wanted for an Esterbrook J set. They had the matching pencil, but didnt realize it was a set and put a ridiculous price on the pencil, so I didnt get that.....may go back on Saturday at 50% off 😇

Today an evil bay purchase arrive, just a Jotter 1958-70's dome top cap with Allis-Chalmers advertising on the refill [ lot of ware on the imprint ] no big deal

as I was looking at the clip itself and I was correct [ No feathers ] on the clip. :)

So an interesting anomaly showed up today. It is, I believe, a Pink Parker 41 with a 21 filler sleeve and cap. Unless I am mistaken, Parker never made the 21 with the tubular nib and feed and Octanium nib like the 51 - only the 41 like that.

Can anyone confirm this?

Either way, I picked up a great pen I think. 👍

fpn_1601615643__img_20201002_143151.jpg

Latest pen for me is a franken parker with a number 20 marked barrel. barrel section feed and nib are unlikely to match each other :(.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a group of 4 pens on the Bay that had a reasonable BIN price. Two were pencils that I knew I didnt want, but there was a 45 with a gold nib, and then there was the one thing I DID want.....it had poor photos, but it sure looked like a stub nib 51.

And it was, with a regular 51 filler, a beat up burgundy body and a black jewel Special cap....an amazingly smooth real 51 stub that after cleaning, wrote like a champ! This one is now a daily user that cleaned up nicely. Put a Kullock cap on it, and made it pretty again.....

Not quite in the collection yet but I just picked up this 51 that looks to be in good condition for AU$84/US$60 including shipping: ebay.

Taking a gamble on the filler being in working order. I'll update when I've received the pen and given it a good clean.

And it arrived, in perfect working order (just needed a flush and a fill and it is writing beautifully). Not quite so mint as my Plum (also gratiutously pictured), but that means I won't feel so nervous about using it:

20201023-102200.jpg

Got the midnight blue aero today and the black aero last week, date code 9 for the black one I believe. The black parker wrote very well after cleaning, but like the grey one, the finer nib of the midnight blue was very dry and required some feeler gauge widening to write wet enough to not dry out after a couple sentences. It came with the original box and looks nearly unused which leads me to believe whoever used it probably experienced the same dryness and put it away in the box to not use again. I accidentally scuffed the bottom of the nib a little by slipping with the gauge because it is difficult to do it without getting the hood off (I tried that, didn't want to damage it). Currently it writes well and just as wet as the navy grey 51.

Might get a cordovan brown/burgundy to round it out, was considering a teal blue but it might be too bright for me in person.

IMG_20201022_214846500.jpg

Got the midnight blue aero today and the black aero last week, date code 9 for the black one I believe. The black parker wrote very well after cleaning, but like the grey one, the finer nib of the midnight blue was very dry and required some feeler gauge widening to write wet enough to not dry out after a couple sentences. It came with the original box and looks nearly unused which leads me to believe whoever used it probably experienced the same dryness and put it away in the box to not use again. I accidentally scuffed the bottom of the nib a little by slipping with the gauge because it is difficult to do it without getting the hood off (I tried that, didn't want to damage it). Currently it writes well and just as wet as the navy grey 51.

Might get a cordovan brown/burgundy to round it out, was considering a teal blue but it might be too bright for me in person.

Congratulations on your new pens. :)

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Parker 61 ,gold cap,grey barrel arrived today .Was a little concerned where description said it was a squeeze filler and ultrasonically cleaned but all was perfect using water to test capillary. Jewels perfect.

For $43 usd I’m a happy chappy.

5D0C0536-5758-4C8B-8018-D4E667084E9C.jpeg

Got the midnight blue aero today and the black aero last week, date code 9 for the black one I believe. The black parker wrote very well after cleaning, but like the grey one, the finer nib of the midnight blue was very dry and required some feeler gauge widening to write wet enough to not dry out after a couple sentences.

That has been my experience with the two 51s with EF nibs I have (Cedar Blue 51 Vac and Forest Green Aero). Once they had the tines opened up a bit so the pens weren't scratchy, they became excellent writers (particularly good for when I have to do a lot of research/notetaking, especially the Cedar Blue Vac).

Oh, and Teal Blue isn't as bright/vibrant as you might think/fear (my first 51 was a Teal Blue Aero). Think of it as a medium range color (only a bit lighter than Cedar Blue, IMO) whereas the Midnight Blue is quite dark (a little darker than Cedar Blue).