What Parkers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

NumberSix

All this talk and veneration of the 21 and 51 makes me really want to like those pens. Someone even suggested, a while back, another model that has a very similar nib but no hood, but the magic just doesn't happen to me.

This one's quite an uplifting discussion, though :-)

alex

It's cool. We don't all have to agree.

I like how 51/21s look and how they feel. The contrast occurred to me strongly the other day when I moved from a Lamy 2K to my newly-repaired 51 Special. The pens are about the same size, and the uncapped Parker is similar in weight to the Lamy. But the plastic of the Parker pen is so comfortable to hold and grip, compared to the slickness of the Lamy grip.

Edited by NumberSix

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NumberSix

• Carguy

• TheRedBeard

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All this talk and veneration of the 21 and 51 makes me really want to like those pens. Someone even suggested, a while back, another model that has a very similar nib but no hood, but the magic just doesn't happen to me.

This one's quite an uplifting discussion, though :-)

alex

Have you tried a VS? P51 shape but with an open nib.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

One caveat about 21s: they're not made with the same grade of materials as the 51s and 51 Specials and are prone to cracking. I had the hood on my 21 crack and was lucky enough to be able to get a replacement fairly inexpensively, but the way I found out was to have the pen suddenly start leaking on me, kind of out of the blue.

Parker 41s are made of the same plastic. Mine is okay, but I also tend to baby it and it doesn't see a lot of use, even though it's a great writer, simply because of what happened with my 21. But up until that happened, I really liked how my 21 wrote as well, and it made me kind of understand the lure of 51s. Of course, that ended up denting my wallet quite a bit.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Have you tried a VS? P51 shape but with an open nib.

That's the one I was suggested to get, but I'm still not crazy about it. Don't know why.

Thanks!

Alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

parker jointless pen.

fpn_1599704356__img_20200910_140718.jpg

fpn_1599704397__img_20200910_140942.jpg

fpn_1599704418__img_20200910_141601.jpg

fpn_1599704439__img_20200910_141153.jpg

finally managed to get something i wanted for a very long time. sadly the barrel is over polished wiping most of the imprints. haven't inked it up yet.

I just bought on ebay a Parker 75 black laque 1990 in very nice condition, 14K Fine Nib, piston converter and original box, in very good condition for only $55.74.

The ad didn´t mention it was a 75, I am sure that is why I could buy it.

Edited by roguico

My fixed 51 Special continues to be better and better. After a few days inked (Lamy Black), it's now writing like a nice thick Fine. I have smoother-writing nibs, but it's working very well.

I would say that I may have finally found the primary daily Parker driver that I have been seeking*. I have Aero 51s and a Vac 51 that are smoother. But this one is just the right nib size, better for me than any of my other vintage 51/21 pens, for all-purpose general daily use. Not too thin and not too broad.

I am working on a trade for a 61, so we'll see where that one will fit.

*Of course, I have 6 pens inked right now, including this 51 and a 21. But still, one wants a good standard black writer that one likes to use while not afraid of scratching or dropping. (*looks over at 146 and 149*)

I just bought on ebay a Parker 75 black laque 1990 in very nice condition, 14K Fine Nib, piston converter and original box, in very good condition for only $55.74.

The ad didn´t mention it was a 75, I am sure that is why I could buy it.

It's weird. There was a early (flat tassie) sterling sterling 75 Ciselé with a fine nib on the Bay of Evil last winter; I ran across it partway through, and bid on it and got MASSIVELY outbid (I think the hammer price was around $193 US. Then, a week or two later, I was able to get a later model (but still from the 1970s, I think) for the starting price, because NOBODY was watching the listing but me -- so I waited until a couple of minutes to go, and got it for the minimum. Even with tax and shipping, it was way less money than the other one (both were US production models). Don't remember about the one I lost out on, but the one I got had (according to the seller) the original squeeze converter, too....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A Parker 20 pen leather pen case arrived today. The Parker P45 BP Flighter with [ UNIROYAL ] on the barrel.

I came across a Parker cloth bag [ maybe cotton] [ 9 in x1 2 in ] at the local antique shop today.

It's weird. There was a early (flat tassie) sterling sterling 75 Ciselé with a fine nib on the Bay of Evil last winter; I ran across it partway through, and bid on it and got MASSIVELY outbid (I think the hammer price was around $193 US. Then, a week or two later, I was able to get a later model (but still from the 1970s, I think) for the starting price, because NOBODY was watching the listing but me -- so I waited until a couple of minutes to go, and got it for the minimum. Even with tax and shipping, it was way less money than the other one (both were US production models). Don't remember about the one I lost out on, but the one I got had (according to the seller) the original squeeze converter, too....

Was it maybe a first year model? Sometimes when it's unclear several buyers ask the seller for more photos which may confirm it to be a less common variant. I bought a ciselé on ebay a month or so ago for like $75 at the starting bid as well. They're always in great shape too and just need a polish.

Was it maybe a first year model? Sometimes when it's unclear several buyers ask the seller for more photos which may confirm it to be a less common variant. I bought a ciselé on ebay a month or so ago for like $75 at the starting bid as well. They're always in great shape too and just need a polish.

First-year 75's that I've seen (labelled or not as such), usually have gone into the $300's.

I've been chasing one since forever. Maybe I should just come to terms with the price and pay that (and be done with the sweet agony that is the hunt).

Alex

First-year 75's that I've seen (labelled or not as such), usually have gone into the $300's.

I've been chasing one since forever. Maybe I should just come to terms with the price and pay that (and be done with the sweet agony that is the hunt).

Alex

As a matter of fact there IS a 1st year 75, albeit not a first edition right now for $180, available:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STERLING-SILVER-PARKER-FOUNTAIN-PEN-PEN-14K-GOLD-NIB/173872665860?hash=item287b9e5504:g:MjQAAOSwn6Jb9Pp3