What Parkers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

NumberSix

Recently got a G.I. Joe green Parker 45 set of three; fountain pen, ballpoint and pencil. Not in the original box but very clean as if they were never used. A nice "B" nib currently inked with Noodler's Hunter Green, a very bright, cheerful green.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NumberSix

• Carguy

• TheRedBeard

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have never seen a 41. Is it something like a 21 Demi?

I hate to hear about your cracked pens. :( One or two of mine won't need to make it that long, perhaps. I have several bottles of Superchrome Blue-Black on the way. If it's liquid enough - which is why I purchased 3 bottles, just in case - I intend to introduce it to one or two of my least favorite 21s or Specials to it as a daily driver. For science. :ninja:

No, a 41 was an intermediate level priced pen between the 21 and 51 models. They were marketed as being "ladies' pens" and were in colors like pink and aqua, and often had fancy enameled caps (mine doesn't). But they were apparently only on the market for a couple of years because they didn't sell well. I suspect that it was because they were the same grade of plastic as 21s, and had the same hoop filler system, and that women probably said, "Uh, I'd rather save up the four extra dollars and by a 51 instead, thanks anyway".

I've read that the extra stock got turned into 21 Specials, but I haven't figured out the differences between a 21 Special and a regular 21 (apparently -- from what someone tried to tell me recently in another thread -- it has something to do with the shape of the underside of the hood where the feed shows; but I couldn't see the difference.

Basically, here's what I know:

51 Aerometric -- Lucite, squeeze filler, 14K nib.

51 Vac -- Lucite, vac fill system with a diaphragm, 14K nib.

51 Special -- Lucite, Octanium nib (forget if it's got the press bar or is a hoop filler).

51 Demi -- Lucite, 14K nib, could EITHER have a hoop filler or the "standard" press bar (my Plum Demi has the "standard" one, but I've seen later 51 Specials that are hoop fillers); mostly the difference is in the length, regardless of the fill system.

41 -- cheaper grade of plastic, "pretty" colors, fancy caps in some cases, hoop filler, possibly NOT a 14K nib (mine doesn't, but I had to check my inventory file just now); don't know if they made Demi-size pens but I doubt it.

21 -- cheaper grade of plastic, hoop filler, Octanium nib

21 Special -- Probably cheaper grade of plastic, probably hoop filler, probably Octanium nib; may have been made from leftover stock from 41s after that model was discontinued.

21 Demis -- didn't know those existed....

You now know the sum total of what I know (most of which was gleaned from Tony Fischier's parkercollector.com site...).

Guess I should be asking for the Parker 51 book for Christmas instead of another pen.... Of course last Christmas I wanted the US made NOS (still in the blister pack) Parker Vector Geometric. Which cost a lot less than the book would (I did buy myself the Parker Vacumatic book a few years ago on my -- sort of at this point annual -- Christmas-time pilgrimage to Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

No, a 41 was an intermediate level priced pen between the 21 and 51 models. They were marketed as being "ladies' pens" and were in colors like pink and aqua, and often had fancy enameled caps (mine doesn't). But they were apparently only on the market for a couple of years because they didn't sell well. I suspect that it was because they were the same grade of plastic as 21s, and had the same hoop filler system, and that women probably said, "Uh, I'd rather save up the four extra dollars and by a 51 instead, thanks anyway".

I've read that the extra stock got turned into 21 Specials, but I haven't figured out the differences between a 21 Special and a regular 21 (apparently -- from what someone tried to tell me recently in another thread -- it has something to do with the shape of the underside of the hood where the feed shows; but I couldn't see the difference.

51 Special -- Lucite, Octanium nib (forget if it's got the press bar or is a hoop filler).

51 Demi -- Lucite, 14K nib, could EITHER have a hoop filler or the "standard" press bar (my Plum Demi has the "standard" one, but I've seen later 51 Specials that are hoop fillers); mostly the difference is in the length, regardless of the fill system.

41 -- cheaper grade of plastic, "pretty" colors, fancy caps in some cases, hoop filler, possibly NOT a 14K nib (mine doesn't, but I had to check my inventory file just now); don't know if they made Demi-size pens but I doubt it.

21 Special -- Probably cheaper grade of plastic, probably hoop filler, probably Octanium nib; may have been made from leftover stock from 41s after that model was discontinued.

You now know the sum total of what I know (most of which was gleaned from Tony Fischier's parkercollector.com site...).

Guess I should be asking for the Parker 51 book for Christmas instead of another pen.... Of course last Christmas I wanted the US made NOS (still in the blister pack) Parker Vector Geometric. Which cost a lot less than the book would (I did buy myself the Parker Vacumatic book a few years ago on my -- sort of at this point annual -- Christmas-time pilgrimage to Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC.... :rolleyes:

I have two Demis on order right now - my first Demis - one with each of the two filling systems. It's not an urban legend, according to the seller's photos, anyway! :)

Great summary. I now have to keep my eyes out for a 41. Now I must have the pink one with the fish scale cap. . .

And yes, the Parker 51 book is glorious. But I haven't spent enough time with it yet. D'oh!

Parkerpens.net says women didn't like the 41 because it was too brittle to withstand the harsh environment inside their purses. :P

The Specials did have the hoop filler, they said to control costs, but for the life of me I can’t see how that would save money. I actually put an Octanium nib into a rebuilt 51 last week and am surprised by how well it writes. I try to find cheap 51’s with good nibs that I can repurpose or restore, but that is getting harder and harder to do these days. I’m out of gold nibs to use, so I’m done rebuilding pens for a while.

I was actually surprised when there was a thread a couple of months ago where someone posted pix of a hoop filler Demi -- the only one I'd seen up till that point was the Plum Demi I own -- and it's got the sac sleeve/press bar. Someone in that thread said that the later Demis were hoop fillers.

Oh, I forgot to mention that of course the Demis are shorter than standard 51 Aeros.

@ NumberSix -- I'm of two minds about the pink 41. I suspect that I'd much prefer a grey one (the pink is sort of an odd shade, much the way the the Esterbrook Pastels shades are odd). But I kinda agree with you on the fish scale caps.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My green 21 "Deluxe" arrived today, and it's a beauty. The cap has gold trim and those vertical texture lines (what are they called?) :wub:

It was sold as NOS, and it's so pristine that I almost didn't ink it up. But what's the fun in that? Loaded up some Quink Black, and the fine nib seems to be writing nicely. A very happy addition to my collection.

I am going to cheat and use the ebay seller's pic. IRL the pen looks even better because the gold clip is more obvious than in this photo.

156957136_s-l1600.jpg

@ NumberSix -- I'm of two minds about the pink 41. I suspect that I'd much prefer a grey one (the pink is sort of an odd shade, much the way the the Esterbrook Pastels shades are odd). But I kinda agree with you on the fish scale caps.

I found a seller on ebay who has a number of 41s in various colors. They cost just a smidgeon more than the 21. :yikes:

And none of them has the Debutante fish scales cap.

Oh, I just did a quick peek on eBay. They cost more than a smidgeon more than I paid for my 21. And WAY more than I did for the 41....

I was actually surprised when there was a thread a couple of months ago where someone posted pix of a hoop filler Demi -- the only one I'd seen up till that point was the Plum Demi I own -- and it's got the sac sleeve/press bar. Someone in that thread said that the later Demis were hoop fillers.

Oh, I forgot to mention that of course the Demis are shorter than standard 51 Aeros.

As far as i know, MOST Demi's had the hoop filler. I think the full sized filler cover was only the first year or two of the demi aero.

the "51" books says on page 69:

..."Two different types of filling system were utilised and were similar to the style on the full size Aerometric. The early models had chrome-plated and polished aluminium filler sleeves. The U-shaped pressure bar design was not marked SPECIAL as in the full size model."

I could not find in the book anyplace where exactly when the chrome-plated filler stopped being used. But if only the chrome plated filler was used on demis that didn't get the hoop filler, then it was almost certainly only the first year or two of production. All of my Demis have the hoop filler (three regular demis and two demi specials)

Edited by IThinkIHaveAProblem

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

As far as i know, MOST Demi's had the hoop filler. I think the full sized filler cover was only the first year or two of the demi aero.

the "51" books says on page 69:

..."Two different types of filling system were utilised and were similar to the style on the full size Aerometric. The early models had chrome-plated and polished aluminium filler sleeves. The U-shaped pressure bar design was not marked SPECIAL as in the full size model."

I have a Demi with chrome-plated sleeve, well it was once. The chrome was applied over aluminium and has largely disintegrated leaving an unsightly mess. Filler still works though.

Peter

most of the pictures ive seen of the chrome plated ones (never seen one in person yet) have the chrome flaking off to some degree or another.

Oh, I just did a quick peek on eBay. They cost more than a smidgeon more than I paid for my 21. And WAY more than I did for the 41....

Your opinion is not to be trusted for prices, though, as you have magic powers when it comes to finding inexpensive vintage pens! :P

I have a Demi with chrome-plated sleeve, well it was once. The chrome was applied over aluminium and has largely disintegrated leaving an unsightly mess. Filler still works though.

most of the pictures ive seen of the chrome plated ones (never seen one in person yet) have the chrome flaking off to some degree or another.

I am super curious now if my hoop filler Demi will be chrome. I am going to guess not, as it looks decent condition from the photos.

My aero Demi and hoop Demi (and a 21) package is "out for delivery" today. So provided the USPS doesn't screw it up, I should have them by tonight.

I am super curious now if my hoop filler Demi will be chrome. I am going to guess not, as it looks decent condition from the photos.

My aero Demi and hoop Demi (and a 21) package is "out for delivery" today. So provided the USPS doesn't screw it up, I should have them by tonight.

the chrome plated fillers are not hoop fillers, they are a full sized filler, the early Aero-metrics had it

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/post-90135-0-16589700-1399578078.jpg

the cocoa pen (bottom pen) has the chrome filler

the one above it is the later (and far more common) unchromed filler

The hoop filler is a whole different ball of wax :)

the chrome plated fillers are not hoop fillers, they are a full sized filler, the early Aero-metrics had it

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/post-90135-0-16589700-1399578078.jpg

the cocoa pen (bottom pen) has the chrome filler

the one above it is the later (and far more common) unchromed filler

The hoop filler is a whole different ball of wax :)

That's a nice-looking color on that 61.

Your opinion is not to be trusted for prices, though, as you have magic powers when it comes to finding inexpensive vintage pens! :P

:lol:

More like it's being a cheapskate: "You want HOW much for this!? Oh no, Hell no...."

Or it's a case of me not knowing enough about a brand, or (like with some Esterbrook J pens I saw last weekend at an antiques mall in Ohio) something I don't need another one of (both had nibs I wasn't interested in or already had; and a third, later model Estie was a c/c pen and I didn't know what converter would fit it -- or if a converter was even available that would fit).

inkstainedruth a cheapskate ? I can fix that easy. I will invite her to the next local auction in Parkerland and then she can buy below wholesale and/or in bulk.

inkstainedruth a cheapskate ? I can fix that easy. I will invite her to the next local auction in Parkerland and then she can buy below wholesale and/or in bulk.

Cheapskate or not, I’ll come to that if she won’t!!!