What Parkers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

NumberSix

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NumberSix

• Carguy

• TheRedBeard

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From an Argentine seller on Ebay, I just received a set of six "Beta" Parker 45 FPs made in Argentina (not by Kullock, I believe) for an average price of $33 per pen. From top to bottom in the first two photos, the colors are Navy Blue (which looks closer to black in the first two photos, but really is Navy), Dark Red, Medium Blue, Lavender, Pink, and White (which looks closer to off-white in the first two photos, but really is White). Each has a frosted steel clip and trim. The nibs are stainless steel fine nibs and, as with normal Parker 45s, the nib sections can be screwed in and out. Here are photos:

fpn_1591991539__argentine_beta_-_6_pens_

fpn_1591991589__argentine_beta_-_6_pens_

Navy Blue, showing close-up of the "Parker" imprint and the frosted steel trim.

fpn_1591991622__argentine_beta_-_navy_-_

Navy Blue.

fpn_1591991648__argentine_beta_-_navy.jp

Medium Blue.

fpn_1591991676__argentine_beta_-_blue_me

Dark Red.

fpn_1591991707__argentine_beta_-_dark_re

Pink.

fpn_1591991736__argentine_beta_-_pink.jp

Lavender.

fpn_1591991760__argentine_beta_-_lavende

White.

fpn_1591991816__argentine_beta_-_white.j

Before filling any of these pens, I dry-tested the nibs and found most of them to be on the scratchy side. I replaced each nib section with my extra Parker 45 nib sections that were smooth -- 4 medium and 2 fine. I knew ahead of time that the pens would not come with cartridges or converters, but I have lots of each.

These pens will make a nice addition to my very extensive Parker 45 collection, which I posted about elsewhere on FPN a few months ago.

The seller was very good to work with, and I would not hesitate to do business with him again if I find something else I want.

From an Argentine seller on Ebay, I just received a set of six "Beta" Parker 45 FPs made in Argentina (not by Kullock, I believe) for an average price of $33 per pen. From top to bottom in the first two photos, the colors are Navy Blue (which looks closer to black in the first two photos, but really is Navy), Dark Red, Medium Blue, Lavender, Pink, and White (which looks closer to off-white in the first two photos, but really is White). Each has a frosted steel clip and trim. The nibs are stainless steel fine nibs and, as with normal Parker 45s, the nib sections can be screwed in and out. Here are photos:

fpn_1591991589__argentine_beta_-_6_pens_

Navy Blue, showing close-up of the "Parker" imprint and the frosted steel trim.

fpn_1591991622__argentine_beta_-_navy_-_

Navy Blue.

fpn_1591991648__argentine_beta_-_navy.jp

Medium Blue.

fpn_1591991676__argentine_beta_-_blue_me

Dark Red.

fpn_1591991707__argentine_beta_-_dark_re

Pink.

fpn_1591991736__argentine_beta_-_pink.jp

Lavender.

fpn_1591991760__argentine_beta_-_lavende

White.

fpn_1591991816__argentine_beta_-_white.j

Before filling any of these pens, I dry-tested the nibs and found most of them to be on the scratchy side. I replaced each nib section with my extra Parker 45 nib sections that were smooth -- 4 medium and 2 fine. I knew ahead of time that the pens would not come with cartridges or converters, but I have lots of each.

These pens will make a nice addition to my very extensive Parker 45 collection, which I posted about elsewhere on FPN a few months ago.

The seller was very good to work with, and I would not hesitate to do business with him again if I find something else I want.

Nice haul! I ALMOST pulled the trigger on these but decided against it.

Nice haul! I ALMOST pulled the trigger on these but decided against it.

Thanks, Carguy. They're an interesting addition to my collection.

Are the differences between Parker nibs (UK vs US vs France etc.) just anecdotal or is this something widely shared by collectors? In terms of build quality, which country made the best pens for a particular model?

Are the differences between Parker nibs (UK vs US vs France etc.) just anecdotal or is this something widely shared by collectors? In terms of build quality, which country made the best pens for a particular model?

In my own impression, there isn't a difference between build quality for the same model of Parker 45 among the various legitimate Parker 45-manufacturing nations. The nibs, however, changed over time, unrelated to nation of manufacture, I believe. The original Parker 45 nib was made of 14K gold, and later the nibs were gold-plated, and later still stainless steel. The available nib sizes (e.g., EF, F, M, etc.), I think, contracted over time (fewer or no B, Oblique, stub, etc.). Perhaps one of our Parker 45 historians can address your question in more detail.

I either have a Plum 51 that will be here Monday, or I WAY overpaid for a run of the mill black one. Also, I have what appears to be a very nice Dove Gray 51 set that will arrive Monday as well.

I really need to quit buying 51’s but I seem to be unable to quit......

From an Argentine seller on Ebay, I just received a set of six "Beta" Parker 45 FPs made in Argentina (not by Kullock, I believe) for an average price of $33 per pen. ....

Wow. Just wow!

Beautiful assortment of colors. I'm really glad that I've been a bit absent from ebay these days, because I would've had a hard time deciding whether to bid on this or not.

I have a couple of these Argentinian 45's myself, but haven't gotten around to inking any of them. I tried unscrewing the collar on one of them, but it just wouldn't budge and it doesn't seem to have ever been inked, so I think that they're glued together. Do you happen to know?

Congratulations!

Alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

Wow. Just wow!

Beautiful assortment of colors. I'm really glad that I've been a bit absent from ebay these days, because I would've had a hard time deciding whether to bid on this or not.

I have a couple of these Argentinian 45's myself, but haven't gotten around to inking any of them. I tried unscrewing the collar on one of them, but it just wouldn't budge and it doesn't seem to have ever been inked, so I think that they're glued together. Do you happen to know?

Congratulations!

Alex

Hi, Alex. These particular real-Parker 45 Beta examples do allow you to screw off and on the nib section. I did that on each of the six, to substitute my extra nib sections with smoother 45 nibs. But there are some Ariel Kullock models that don't screw on and off for some reason.

Got a teal Aero 51 incoming!

A photo when it arrives, please. I have a 1951 Aero acquired in 1951 and I can't figure out the color.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Hi, Alex. These particular real-Parker 45 Beta examples do allow you to screw off and on the nib section. I did that on each of the six, to substitute my extra nib sections with smoother 45 nibs. But there are some Ariel Kullock models that don't screw on and off for some reason.

it was my understanding that Ariel Kullock's 45's where the ones with crazy finishes. Did he make plain ones that looked just like the Beta's?

Mine looks like some of yours, yet I can't remove their nibs - the collar doesn't unscrew.

Alex

it was my understanding that Ariel Kullock's 45's where the ones with crazy finishes. Did he make plain ones that looked just like the Beta's?

Mine looks like some of yours, yet I can't remove their nibs - the collar doesn't unscrew.

Alex

Hi, Alex. Kullock also did make Parker pen bodies (such as 51 models; I have one in red) with "normal," solid colors, but I don't know about his 45 models. I have a swirly purple Kullock set of Parker 45s, and like yours, you can't screw on and off the nib section. I don't know whether he made plain or fancy ones of the Beta style. It is frustrating not to be able to screw on and off the section.

Hi, Alex. Kullock also did make Parker pen bodies (such as 51 models; I have one in red) with "normal," solid colors, but I don't know about his 45 models. I have a swirly purple Kullock set of Parker 45s, and like yours, you can't screw on and off the nib section. I don't know whether he made plain or fancy ones of the Beta style. It is frustrating not to be able to screw on and off the section.

I have 1 of his fancy 45's (I think it's called shark skin) and another one, all metal, that's textured, which I believe is his as well, but neither have any markings, whereas the ones I have that look like yours are stamped with Parker's brand name, so I believe they're, like yours, betas.

And I just tried the Beta like you did, without inking it, and couldn't get the tines 100% lined up, so it's horrible. I'll get to it when I have time to tinker, but the nib collar is definitely not moving (I think that's how I got the tines mis-aligned in the first place).

alex

I have 1 of his fancy 45's (I think it's called shark skin) and another one, all metal, that's textured, which I believe is his as well, but neither have any markings, whereas the ones I have that look like yours are stamped with Parker's brand name, so I believe they're, like yours, betas.

And I just tried the Beta like you did, without inking it, and couldn't get the tines 100% lined up, so it's horrible. I'll get to it when I have time to tinker, but the nib collar is definitely not moving (I think that's how I got the tines mis-aligned in the first place).

alex

It may be that the nib sections are not moveable at all. However, if you are willing to risk it, you could try soaking the pen's upper half in water or sudsy water (no more than very warm, but not hot) for a day and see if that allows movement with rubber-protected pliers. You also could check FPN and other sources for whether or not some Parker 45 models made in Argentina by Kullock or otherwise simply have immovable nib sections.

Two new 51s joined the family today....first a dove gray set in the original box.

And FINALLY, after nearly 15 years of hunting, a PLUM 51!! It does appear to be a Demi because its slightly shorter than any of my others, but it has a regular Aero fill system. I guess I always thought that Demi pens all had the hoop style sac guard, but apparently not. After a nice polish, it looks fantastic and will become a daily user. I tried everything I knew to get the hood section off because the nib is recessed farther than Id like, but couldnt do it. To my great surprise it writes just fine as it is.

Man I love these pens!!

F0F9DBDD-9D91-4A33-A7B5-728DCF6AE65E.jpeg

7CE93CF1-5181-496C-B664-E514D09C736F.jpeg

Two new 51s joined the family today....first a dove gray set in the original box.

And FINALLY, after nearly 15 years of hunting, a PLUM 51!! It does appear to be a Demi because its slightly shorter than any of my others, but it has a regular Aero fill system. I guess I always thought that Demi pens all had the hoop style sac guard, but apparently not. After a nice polish, it looks fantastic and will become a daily user. I tried everything I knew to get the hood section off because the nib is recessed farther than Id like, but couldnt do it. To my great surprise it writes just fine as it is.

Man I love these pens!!

No, my Plummer is a Demi, and has the standard Aerometric insides (including the sac sleeve). I was surprised when someone posted photos of a Demi and it had the hoop filler, because I had never seen any that had that -- only on 51 Specials, 21s, and 41s. Then my husband found one an antiques fair we were at last winter. Someone said that the later Demis have the hoop filler, but early ones have the sac sleeve like full size 51s. Which makes sense because Plum was only produced for the 1948-49 model year.

I love mine -- that's the pen they'll have to pry from my cold dead fingers. What's the nib on yours? Mine is a medium, I think -- or at least a FM (most of my other 51s have F or EF nibs).

There's a part of me that would like a full-size Plum someday, if the price was right -- but in the meantime I'm happy with the one I have.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

No, my Plummer is a Demi, and has the standard Aerometric insides (including the sac sleeve). I was surprised when someone posted photos of a Demi and it had the hoop filler, because I had never seen any that had that -- only on 51 Specials, 21s, and 41s. Then my husband found one an antiques fair we were at last winter. Someone said that the later Demis have the hoop filler, but early ones have the sac sleeve like full size 51s. Which makes sense because Plum was only produced for the 1948-49 model year.

I love mine -- that's the pen they'll have to pry from my cold dead fingers. What's the nib on yours? Mine is a medium, I think -- or at least a FM (most of my other 51s have F or EF nibs).

There's a part of me that would like a full-size Plum someday, if the price was right -- but in the meantime I'm happy with the one I have.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Even though the nib is recessed more than it should be, and barely sticks out. It writes a very wet medium which I like!