Cesare Emiliano By Grifos -- Photos & Discussion

donnweinberg

Back in the mid-to-late 1990s, I was fortunate to be a part-time online U.S. retailer of a few brands, including Cesare Emiliano ("CE") pens, made by Grifos (CEO: Maurizio Sturza) in Milan, Italy. I was, and still am, a fan of this brand, although I understand from other postings at FPN that CE no longer is an active brand, although Grifos is. I wanted to show you what remains in my inventory, even though I'm solely a collector now, I'm not selling anything, and I want to retain these pens in my overall collection. My CE pens are a very small set of the great variety of styles and finishes that CE offered, but my CE collection is representative of what I judged that I could sell. I'll add these photos in different posts, because of upload size limitations per post.

First, here are photos of the fronts and backs of the CE catalogues in my possession.

CE Collection brochures - front.jpegCE Collection brochures - back.jpeg

In my next posts, I'll provide photos and information/comments about the different "models" that I own.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• donnweinberg

• jchch1950

• clear1

• Freddy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First, here are photos of the three ANTARES FP models that I have.

CE Antares - 1.jpegCE Antares - 2.jpegCE Antares - 3.jpeg

The standard models came with Schmidt stainless-steel ("SS") iridium-tipped nibs. The metallic elements are gold-plated ("GP"). As I also purchased from CE many gold nibs, both flexible 'plain-Jane' 14K and firm 18K CE-branded, each of these three Antares models sports a gold nib. I've shown you one sample of each nib. As I recall but have not reconfirmed lately, the nib-and-feed are friction fit; they pull out and push back in. Please correct me if you know otherwise. Over time, this model became my personal favorite, as it is beautiful, relatively light in weight, and permits a posted cap (too many customers wanted posting, even though I personally don't post). At the time, the only three colors in which the Antares was available were the black and red "mother-of-pearl" ("MOP") colors shown here, plus an olive-green MOP. The MOP wording refers to the reflectivity of bands of the color; there are alternating bands of solid-looking and reflective-swirly in each color, as the photos demonstrate.

Second, here are four photos of the COLORE model from CE.

CE Colore - 1.jpegCE Colore - 2.jpegCE Colore - 3.jpegCE Colore - 4.jpeg

The Colore is made from the same material as was the Antares, but the Colore has a black section, rather than the color-coordinated section in the Antares. These Colore pens also have the gold nibs, in this case three of the 18K and one of the 14K. The Colore was offered in a total of twelve colors. The ones shown here are Amber (yellow), Brown (light brown), Emerald Green (teal), and Sky Blue (a medium blue). Other colors that CE offered for the Colore were: Green; Red; Dark Green; Pink; Light-Blue; Violet (a darker purple); Water-Green; and a creamy white (called simply "MOP").

As with the Antares, the metallic elements are GP, and the cap posts readily. This model is my second-favorite of the CE pens I have, and it has pretty-much the same writing characteristics as the Antares.

Third, here are three photos of the TEMPIO S17 FP.

CE Tempio S17 FP - 1.jpegCE Tempio S17 FP - 2.jpegCE Tempio S17 FP - 3.jpeg

I use the 'S17' designation used in the catalogue, because the S16 is a completely different model with a totally different shape (like that of the Arcobal, to be covered later). What seems to place them both as 'Tempio' models is that the cap and barrel of each is .925 Sterling Silver ("925 Silver"); for my own categorization preferences, this reason for categorizing these two completely different-looking pens in one model name was strange. In CE's usage, 'S' means FP, 'R' means RB, and 'P' means BP.

The Tempio S17 has an octagonal shape, with Greek-key and vertical lines in alternating bands. There are black MOP jewels on each end, and the barrel end for posting sports black MOP. The cap posts readily because of the shape of the MOP barrel end. This particular pen has CE's 18K nib. The Tempio has the same length as, for example, a Parker VP, but is a little thicker. It has a nice weight because of its 925 Silver body. This is a classy-looking pen and also a pleasure to write with.

Here are three photos of the MUNDI model, in Dark Blue, Dark Green, Bordeaux, and (in the third photo) black-and-cream swirl. I believe that the black-and-cream swirl model also was a 'Mundi.' What seems to constitute a Mundi is that both cap and barrel are MOP-covered SS (remember: stainless steel), and the other elements are metallic, either GP or Silver-Plated ("SP"). These examples all happen to have GP appointments.

CE Mundi 4 Pens - 1.jpegCE Mundi 4 Pens - 2.jpeg

CE Mundi Swirl - 1.jpeg

Mundi models do not permit posting of the caps, practically-speaking; you can try to force it, but its not a secure posting, and over time one will scratch the MOP in the process. The internal SS body gives the pen decent weight and protects against abuse or accident.

One can notice that the GP section of one of the black-and-cream swirl models is different from that of the others. I just happened to have fewer of that different section and placed it on that pen. In fact, CE offered a variety of different section designs, all of which fit the Mundi and identically-shaped models (with different model names because of different outer material combinations and options). Those options made working with CE (specifically, CEO Maurizio Stura) a pleasure, as a retailer could, to some degree, customize what was ordered, particularly with this type of shape.

The Mundi also was available in even more colors than shown here. I think, but am not absolutely certain, that the Mundi color selection was all of the twelve colors in which the Colore was offered, plus Bordeaux.

Here are four photos that show three PYRAMID FPs and one customized Pyramid-like FP (the one with the GP, vertical-lined cap). What seems to constitute a Pyramid is that the cap tube is made of 925 Silver, and the barrel is SS covered with MOP. The customized FP differs from this "definition," as its cap is GP; otherwise, it's a Pyramid or it's a Mundi with a 925 Silver cap (your choice :wacko: ).

CE Pyramids & Combo FP - 1.jpegCE Pyramids & Combo FP - 2.jpegCE Pyramids & Combo FP - 3.jpegCE Pyramids & Combo FP - 4.jpeg

Each of these FPs has the standard SS iridium-tipped nib. The Pyramid is really the same pen as the Mundi, at least by shape and design, ignoring particular (especially exterior) materials.

The sixth and final set of photos is of the ARCOBAL model, in both FP and RB. The Arcobal has the exact same shape as the Tempio 16 (925 Silver tubes for the cap and barrel). This is a long pen, longer than the other models covered by my posts. It was offered in the following colors: Water-Green; Turquoise; Pink; Emerald-Green; Amber; Dark-Green; Red; Light-Blue; Brown; Green; creamy MOP; Violet; and Sky-Blue. However, the two shown here are in two other colors -- the RB in Bordeaux and the FP in a unique light yellowish-green color not listed.

CE Arcobal FP & RB - 1.jpegCE Arcobal FP & RB - 2.jpeg

As I recall, the Arcobal model was the least expensive of the models I'm covering in this topic. The other models I've shown take the same # 6 nibs. The Arcobal (and, of course, the Tempio 16) take a smaller nib, in this case a smaller SS, iridium-tipped nib.

I also purchased from CE the smaller 14K gold nib that would fit into the Arcobal. This smaller 14K nib is semi-flexible and fits fine on other pens with smaller nibs, such as, for example, the more modern Eversharp Skyline FPs (both 1990s-era and the current "Sapperstein" models) and all Levenger True-Writer FPs. They provide a semi-flexible option for those and other compatible pens.

The only other things I'll add at this point:

1. I don't remember how much these pens cost (at wholesale), and I'd have to check my old internet files to see at which prices I sold the various models. Again, I'm not selling any pens; I'm purely a collector.

2. I forgot to mention that the # 6 gold nibs -- 14K and 18K -- will fit fine on many other pens. I've put them on many other brands that take # 6 nibs. I'm especially enthusiastic about the 14K nibs, even though they are "Plain Jane" and only say "14K 585" on them. That 14K nib is flexible and buttery and usually more pleasurable with which to write than the standard firmer or very firm gold nibs that are featured on several other brands' FPs. I've used them to replace SS nibs on several Taccia, Senator President, Bexley, and other brands' FPs. I normally will not change out another brand's gold nibs, but I have from time-to-time.

I hope that these posts on this "new" topic are interesting and helpful to those of you interested in the CE pens. Again, I've covered only what I own, and the brochures show a more complete selection of CE offerings in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Exceptional collection of a unfamiliar pen company in general to most people.

Thank you.

Fred

donnweinberg: thank you for showing your collection of Cesare Emiliano pens. They are nice and some of them have incredible sections. Grifos is a brand that makes silver pens , do you have them in your collection and if so can you can post some photos.

Oh, I have a few CE pens, and I love them. I didn't know Grifos made them. One is made of horn, and it feels GREAT. :) I also have slim models with flower painting on the body. Lovely pens.

donnweinberg: thank you for showing your collection of Cesare Emiliano pens. They are nice and some of them have incredible sections. Grifos is a brand that makes silver pens , do you have them in your collection and if so can you can post some photos.

I've long been a fan of Grifos.

http://www.fototime.com/053945C81276218/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/BA0FAC990EA54B7/standard.jpg

My Website

jchch1950: donnweinberg: thank you for showing your collection of Cesare Emiliano pens. They are nice and some of them have incredible sections. Grifos is a brand that makes silver pens , do you have them in your collection and if so can you can post some photos.

Yes, I have 925 Silver (in whole or part) CE pens, and they are pictured in my posts here as follows:

My third post: Tempio S17 -- entire metallic body is 925 Silver.

My fifth post: Pyramid -- 2 of the 3 pens shown have 925 Silver cap tubes, and the last photo in that 5th post shows the caps up close so that you can expand and see the tiny .

CE offered quite a selection of 925 Silver pens, either in the entire metallic body, the lower or upper barrel, or the cap or cap tube (all depending on the shape of the pen). The brochures show them. I haven't yet provided photos from inside the brochures, but I can if folks want.

I wanted to show you here the COLORE model in each of the colors in which it was offered in the late 1990s, when I was purchasing them for resale. The Colore no longer was offered, even under a different name, starting around 2000, I believe.

CE Colore - 1st brochure - 1.jpg

S92: Green

S93: Red

S94: Dark Green (looks like black/grey in the photo, but really looks dark green; I wonder if this was an error by CE; look at the earlier MUNDI post to see what the Dark Green looks like)

S95: Brown (looks like light brown)

S96: Pink

S97: Amber

CE Colore - 1st brochure - 2.jpg

S98: Sky-Blue

S99: Light-Blue

S100: Violet

S101: Water-Green

S102: Non-colored (looks creamy white)

S103: Emerald Green (should've been called Turquoise/Teal)

R97: Amber Roller Ball (RB, which was available in the other colors also).

The material used in the colored portions was an acrylic, I believe. The MOP (Mother-of-Pearl) description, again, was the appearance it had in alternating (informal) panels along the length of the cap and barrel.

I also wanted to show you here the ARCOBAL model in each of the colors in which it was offered in the late 1990s, when I was purchasing them for resale. Most of the colors are the same as with the Colore, but the Arcobal S79 was "Turquoise" and the Arcobal S81 was "Emerald Green." The Colore did not list a "Turquoise," but did list an Emerald Green (as you can see in the post just above, Colore S103). This time, I'm just providing the brochure photos without further commentary about the colors. The current Grifos offerings, I believe, do have pens in the Arcobal-type shape, but not in these colors, and under different designations.

CE Arcobal - 1st brochure - 1.jpg

CE Arcobal - 1st brochure - 2.jpg

Here, partially in response to a request to see at least some of the solid 925 Silver CE pens, I'm providing brochure photos of some of the models that are fully precious-metallic.

The first photo just below is of the AURUM (meaning "gold") models, which are the CE pens in solid 18K gold (cap and barrel tubes).

CE Aurum - Solid 18K - 1st Brochure.jpg

The second photo just below is of the SIRIO models, which are in solid 925 Silver (cap and barrel tubes).

CE Sirio - Solid 925 Silver - 1st Brochure.jpg

Finally, the third photo just below is of the TEMPIO 17 models, which also are in solid 925 Silver (cap and barrel tubes). I provided photos of my own Tempio S17 (fountain pen) above in my original set of posts here.

CE Tempio # 17 - Solid 925 Silver - 1st Brochure.jpg

Here are two photos from the CE brochures, showing the nibs then available, both stainless steel and gold. In the first photo, there are 10 nibs featured:

CE Nibs - 1st Brochure.jpg

# 1: 14K EF

# 2: GP EF

# 3: 14K F

# 4: GP F

# 5: 14K M

# 6: 14K M -- this is the smaller sized nib I mentioned when discussing the Arcobal gold nib option in the sixth of my original posts here. The other nibs are # 6-size nibs.

# 7: Two-toned Stainless Steel ("SS") nib, M iridium point

# 8: SS nib, M iridium point

# 9: 14K B (called "large" rather than "broad" in the brochure)

# 10: GP B

The photo below is of a high-quality drawing, from CE's 2000 brochure, of CE's 18K nib:

CE 18K Nib - closeup drawing.jpg

As I mentioned in my original set of posts here, I like the "plain Jane" 14K nibs much better than the beautiful 18K nibs, which I believe became available (1999-2000?) after the 14K nibs. I don't recall whether the 14K B nibs were actually Stub nibs, but I did get from CE 14K nibs that definitely were Stubs. The 14K nibs had flexibility, whereas the 18K nibs had little if any. On the current Grifos (the company that used to make CE products) website, which makes pens directly under the Grifos name, I don't see the 14K nibs, but only the 18K nibs, offered. My guess is that Grifos didn't want to offer the plainer nibs that didn't have the company logo imprinted thereon.

I just remembered that I had another CE model -- the ORIONE, the main body of which is made from "Natural Horn."  In the brochure, there were two numbers associated with the model -- the 40 and the 41.  The one shown here is the S40, a fountain pen.  The 41 uses a darker horn; that's the only difference I can see in the brochure.  I'm showing it here with the standard GP 2-tone SS nib.  I happened to choose a Silver-Plated section into which sits the nib and feed.  The remainder of the metallic elements are GP.  The horn has a nice smooth, warm feel.  

CE Orione S40 Horn - 1.jpeg

CE Orione S40 Horn - 2.jpeg

CE Orione S40 Horn - 3.jpeg

I separated it from my other CE pens, as this Orione S40 developed an external defect; the GP cap band with logo is loose.  The band moves freely around and around, although it doesn't and won't come off.  I haven't, on my own thinking, figured out safely how to fix it, as there doesn't seem to be anywhere in which to insert a fixing substance neatly between the band and the portion of the exterior cap on which the band sits.  I could use a super-glue or shellac sparingly on the inside of the cap at the upper band-horn interface, but I don't feel confident that I could do so in an acceptable way.  Any ideas?

I fixed the Orione cap band issue today, using a Q-Tip to apply a small amount of super-glue to the inside of the cap at the point where the upper part of the GP band sits in the cap. It worked just fine.

I wanted to correct and clarify a few points about the Cesare Emiliano (CE) brand, after getting a nice email from Maurizio Stura, its former CEO, who currently is CEO of Grifos (I just ordered a new Grifos-brand pen, and he was giving me the tracking number also):

1. The correct spelling of his name is: Maurizio Stura. I apologized for misspelling his name in two different ways above.

2. CE's factory was not in Milan, but very near the city of Turin (home of the famous "Shroud of Turin").

3. Mr. Stura was the hired CEO of CE, but eventually left and started his own brand, Grifos. Maurizio really believed, and still believes, in the practicality and cost efficiency of internet sales of pens, and you generally won't see Grifos pens in brick-and-mortar pen stores. That way, Grifos bypasses the "middleman" and keeps his retail prices more reasonable than otherwise.