Aiken Lambert Made Under Wirt And Stone Patents.

shalitha33

Aiken Lambert Mercantile with "made under wirt & stone patents" line. pen has an un-vented Aiken Lambert No 1 size nib.

fpn_1588035549__img_20200428_122902.jpg

Feed is basically a tube with a ink channel cut on the top and a cutout on the bottom. This looks very much like a franken pen due to the very rough workmanship of the feed. It doesn't look anything like the usual underfeeds that are seen on Aiken Lamberts from more recent times, Nib sadly needs to be re-tipped :( with tipping broken off on one side. It looks somewhat like a dip nib.

fpn_1588035976__img_20200428_123822.jpg

fpn_1588036000__img_20200428_123838.jpg

fpn_1588036255__img_20200428_124109_1.jp

Just wondering is such designs historically and if so who made them. Did Paul e Wirt made pens for Aiken Lambert to be sold under Aiken Lambert's own brand ?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Only info that i can find on this subject is at http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?/topic/590-seeking-info-wirt-aikin-lambert-connection/

Edited by shalitha33

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greenie

• shalitha33

• KandyPenz

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an early Eagle feed similar to that design, but I have not pulled it to look at the unexposed parts. The Wirt and Stone patents would be for an overfeed.

Wirt licensed his patents to other companies. I would assume that would be the case here.

fpn_1588208376__img_20200430_124746.jpg

Another pen with the same feed. imprint is totally worn off. can just about make out the "mercantile" wording and a second line.

Thank you for the info :).

All three pens are originally from the same ebay auction. that lot got broken up and re-sold. So I would group them as one. I am guessing some one, at some point in its life found, a more modern feed that match the size and they "upgraded" the pens with that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aikin-Lambert-vintage-fountain-pen-silver-overlay-eyedropper-lot-gold-nibs-/184182047005

Currently i have 2 of these left and both doesn't have usable nibs, So haven't inked them up to test :(. I haven't seen the proper overfeed version of these pens. Would be really interesting to see a pic of what it looks like. from what i read it would be along the lines of a wirt paddle feed ?

It is very interesting that KandyPenz has a mercantile with that feed. Perhaps the feed is correct after all. The barrel imprints don't always totally match all the parts. I am not an Aiken expert and certainly not an Aiken Mercantile expert. But if they were making pens under Wirt patents, some pens could still be marked like that but not contain the same parts.

Or, perhaps it was made under license of this Wirt feed

patent US651735

But then why list the Stone patent?

Now I feel that all my postings are speculation!

By the way, this type of underfeed (I speculate) could use an unvented nib. The similar Eagle feed patent is states that the end hole like that is for air return, so no need for a vent. The again, the Eagle pen with this type of feed has a vented nib. That patent is US634398. I think that the Eagle patent looks even more like the feed on this pen.

Maybe a better historian will come along and set me straight!