Size 2 Nib Fitting A Size #4 Nib Pen?

RayCornett

I have what I believe to be a Mabie Todd 1060. From what I see it takes a #4 nib. However, while messing around I see the #2 fits just fine. Am I the only one confused by this?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RayCornett

• SchaumburgSwan

• Inkyways

• Cob

fpn_1588078920__1060_3.jpg

And

fpn_1588078973__2.jpg

It's all confusing,lol. In this video and a lot of images I see the 1060 is like mine. Which nib does your leverless have? :

Cob - Even though my own eyes see the 1060 imprint on the top pen......

I would think that the top one would be L410/60 (or L 4xx/60 depending on the banding code), and that the torpedo shaped pen is the 1060.

I guess there were still some pre-torpedo shaped pens after the numbering system changed. But if I saw the top pen unmarked, I would be inclined to call it L4xx/60.

There is also the known issue over "leverless", which covers more than one filling system internally - the sac tangler and the "button bar" where the twisting activates a standard pressure bar that would be seen on a button filler.

Interesting.

Cob - Even though my own eyes see the 1060 imprint on the top pen......

I would think that the top one would be L410/60 (or L 4xx/60 depending on the banding code), and that the torpedo shaped pen is the 1060.

I guess there were still some pre-torpedo shaped pens after the numbering system changed. But if I saw the top pen unmarked, I would be inclined to call it L4xx/60.

There is also the known issue over "leverless", which covers more than one filling system internally - the sac tangler and the "button bar" where the twisting activates a standard pressure bar that would be seen on a button filler.

Interesting.

Mine is he pressure bar type just like the one in the video above but has no model number on it anywhere.

There used to be a website which was great for identifying these pens but I have not seen it around in at least 3-4 years. I have also seen mention of two pens looking different yet having the same model number, or the only difference being the pen material.

Mine is he pressure bar type just like the one in the video above but has no model number on it anywhere.

There used to be a website which was great for identifying these pens but I have not seen it around in at least 3-4 years. I have also seen mention of two pens looking different yet having the same model number, or the only difference being the pen material.

Button bar filler. Could take a No2 or 4 nib depending on the model

Button bar filler. Could take a No2 or 4 nib depending on the model

Being that everything I see points to this being a 1060 which takes a #4 nib, isn't it odd that a #2 fits?

Hi,

I have a pen in the size and look of a non-torpedo 1060 with a #2 sized feed and #3 nib, a #2 nib fits without problem. No model imprint on the pen, I call it L312/60...

Photos: Mabie Todd Swan L312/60 with EEF nib.

Swan_L312_60_EF_03.jpg

Swan_L312_60_EF_01.jpg

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Here is what I mean by MTs with the same model number but different body style. This is also a 1060. This matches Cob's 1060. Both videos are by Grand Mia, about a year apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQNq047S9qw

Hi,

yes, the original 1060, later the style changed to the torpedo 1060 https://goodwriterspens.com/2018/07/10/mabie-todd-swan-leverless-1060/

looking like the later 4460.

Jens

.....................................................................................................

Hi,

yes, the original 1060, later the style changed to the torpedo 1060 https://goodwriterspens.com/2018/07/10/mabie-todd-swan-leverless-1060/

looking like the later 4460.

Jens

She and I have chatted a number of times. Even about this particular pen of mine. It could indeed be a 4460 which I forgot about. But that is still a #4 nib. In some cases it seems two different model numbers can look identical but just different pen materials.

Edited by RayCornett

Apparently the 1060 triple band I posted a video of is not the same. The center band is different and so is the video. The video I thought it is was the one where he replaces a sac on the one with the button lever. Here is the correct video. Also, I found one he did of a 4660 which is identical but has the model number by the knob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC-jI4vTRYw

Edited by RayCornett

• 4 months later...

I recently got a torpedo 4250 loverless pen and it dose not fill ink properly.

and seen a video by Grand Mia, do a torpedo Pen and according to that there is pressure bar and in this pen no pressure bar.

I think the seller has cheated on this pen as he listed sac replaced and cleaned and restored . :huh:

I recently got a torpedo 4250 loverless pen and it dose not fill ink properly.

and seen a video by Grand Mia, do a torpedo Pen and according to that there is pressure bar and in this pen no pressure bar.

I think the seller has cheated on this pen as he listed sac replaced and cleaned and restored . :huh:

Hi,

I have a similar pen (4261, so like your's but the full ebonite version).

By turning the filling knob a bar rotates inside the barrel and twistes/squeeses the sack.

Is there a bar rotating in your barrel if you turn the filling knob?

Is the sac's size ok?

Any leverless works fine if the sack is the largest one to be fitted into the barrel (a #20 on my pen).

With a #16 or smaller sack it hardly works.

Cheers

Jens

Edited by SchaumburgSwan

Hi Jens!

Thank you, I opened the section and it was loose fitting ( I can refit it again later)

There is a bar but it is different than 3250 in the video. So 4250 looks smaller Lever-less pen small and the bar is right inside the barrel.

( 3=lever-less, 2= nib size 2, 50= colour black ( red/green/ 60...etc.) So Says Stephen.. Grand Mia.

also I have two Similar Swan Self filler PAT No.575341 and Swan lever-less No logo Sawn No I nib.

I have those pens and the ref. details are as mentioned. I guess the sac Size is ok. The sac was without Talc and it get tangled to the bar . The sac seems older but seller says it is a new sac. I put some talc and put the sac bak and tried it sucks ink now. It is sorted. I am going to seal it when I have Shellac Gum or with a piece of wet tissue paper.

Grand Mias video pen was a Swan Torpedo 3250 and it is a bigger pen and the bar is well placed with a step mark on the section screw.( screw part is fitted on a push action to the barrel) That was the confusion I had. it is a different pen and.

Cheers Jens

Cyril

Edited by Cjayant

Hi Cjayant!

Ok, I'm confused...

3 is not leverless, 50 is not black.

A 3250 would be a cigar shaped lever filler (the 3) with nib size 2 in color 50 (maroon or dark red). Black would be 60 (black celluloid) or 61 (black ebonite).

A 4250 is a torpedo shaped leverless (the 4!). Indeed looking smaller than the lever filler.

Do you have a picture of your pen at hand?

Fine, the sac works... new or not.

Best

Jens

Hi Jens!

Thank you, I opened the section and it was loose fitting ( I can refit it again later)

There is a bar but it is different than 3250 in the video. So 4250 looks smaller Lever-less pen small and the bar is right inside the barrel.

( 3=lever-less, 2= nib size 2, 50= colour black ( red/green/ 60...etc.) So Says Stephen.. Grand Mia.

also I have two Similar Swan Self filler PAT No.575341 and Swan lever-less No logo Sawn No I nib.

I have those pens and the ref. details are as mentioned. I guess the sac Size is ok. The sac was without Talc and it get tangled to the bar . The sac seems older but seller says it is a new sac. I put some talc and put the sac bak and tried it sucks ink now. It is sorted. I am going to seal it when I have Shellac Gum or with a piece of wet tissue paper.

Grand Mias video pen was a Swan Torpedo 3250 and it is a bigger pen and the bar is well placed with a step mark on the section screw.( screw part is fitted on a push action to the barrel) That was the confusion I had. it is a different pen and.

Cheers Jens

Cyril

Hello Jens!

Thank you for the reply again,

It is me who made it confused !! All my excuses -_-

I talked about two pens and I am sure there are so many Mabie Pens and we can't really categorise generally to my knowledge .

There are patent pens too done by Mabie Co. as an example , I have a lever-less exact Mabie Calligraphy pen without the nib unmarked K.

I think back in older time Mabie made pens just trying to categorise the product Bach and designs by coding when they grew up.

Now a days Digital cameras are doing the same way all coding and designs which looks very odd.

Yes my pen works but it takes very little ink.

MY PEN I WAS TALKING ABOUT IS 4250 and I have gone through some old fact through google.

Thank you for the help and cheers Jens.

Regards,

Cyril. :)