Parker V P Section Exploded View

Ron Z

This is an exploded view of a Parker VP. The parts in order left to right, top to bottom:

Nib unit, section/shell, collector, trim ring, 0-ring, thread bushing. One of my replacement filler front end blanks is on the bottom right.

The key feature of this pen is the ability to rotate the nib so that it contacts the paper at the proper angle, while you grip the triangular section in a way that is comfortable for you - hence the name VP, or "Very Personal."

Note the threads on the feed, just below the nib. These threads screw into threads on the front end inside of the collector. The splines on the neck of the filler interlock with the collector at the back end so that you can rotate the collector, and the attached nib unit without touching the nib. To remove the nib, you must either grip the filler or insert a 3mm hex key into the collector to keep it from turning as you unscrew the nib. The 0-ring keeps ink from leaking out of the section, back into the barrel.

spacer.png

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• es9

• Ferocity

• donnweinberg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The Parker VP I have is an absolute treasure. The nib on it writes so great it's my #1 best writing fountain pen~! Fortunately I leaned about the fragile+irreplaceable "converter," before I went in trying to disassemble it like every other pen I get. My coverter is the original that came with it, and is pretty much "glued on," and has become "one," with the nib. When the nib is rotated, the converter rotates right along with it. I'm genuinely fearful of breaking this thing, so i don't think I'm ever going to be able to take it apart to truly clean it well 💔 

I'm so happy to see what it looks like on the inside (i haven't been able to find what the collector looks like; THANK YOU!!!). Thank you for the information~! ALSO THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR MAKING REPLACEMENT CONVERTERS AVAILABLE! Hopefully I'll never need one for this pen = )

Happy Sunday~!

20210314_140927.jpg

Parker in all their wisdom at some point decided that constantly removing the filler wasn't a good idea because it could break so easily.  So they decided to secure it in the collector with shellac so you couldn't take it out.  But 60 years later, we can't tell that it was shellaced in or not, so the silly things get broken. 

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Ah nice. I really wanted to take it apart as much as possible. Definitely not going to risk disassembling it at all now!  At least it's on there so well it's not going anywhere. Thank you kindly ❤️👍 That's actually good to know. Glad I didn't learn this one the hard way hahahaha Now all I'm going to do is enjoy it and be extra kind to the " Parker Clean Filler 's ," squishy bladder in an attempt to make it last forever!

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Two years later...

Ron, I have a VP here on the bench; I suspect the o-ring is shot. The filler is fine, I've gotten what appears to be all the old ink out, but it's not filling or flowing. The threaded portion that connects to the filler has to come out to access the o-ring, and it's not budging. Dry heat or soaking to loosen that?

Also, I'm changing my mind on the filler...do you have one of your replacements in stock? 

Many thanks,

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens