Pilot 823 - Fine Or Fa Nib?

siddr90

Hi all,

I'm considering to purchase a Pilot 823 (again) but not sure which nib would work better for me.

My preference is for fine nibs or Western EF nibs that lay down a wet line. I do like some softness on my nibs too.

I've read that the Fine nib on 823 is wet and also has some softness to it.

Same for the FA nib, but I'm not sure on the line width on that nib. Read that it can be like a F, FM or M on multiple forums with no pressure.

Note that I'm not looking to use flex for daily writing.

Any opinions and writing samples on this comparison would be highly appreciated!

Cheers,

Sidd

Edited by Sidd

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siddr90

• WaskiSquirrel

• Karmachanic

• macaddicted

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a franken-pen from an 823 and an FA from another pen. It actually improved the flow. The flex isn’t a lot but more than you’ll get from an otherwise soft gold nib. It’s a fun combo.

I made a franken-pen from an 823 and an FA from another pen. It actually improved the flow. The flex isn’t a lot but more than you’ll get from an otherwise soft gold nib. It’s a fun combo.

thanks, that's interesting. Was it a FA nib from another 823?

I have a F on my 823 and an Fa on my 743. I felt that the Fa nib was a lot of fun, but too flexible for daily type writing.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Soon after I got my 823 Fine I took brass shims to it. It is still one of my finest writers, but juicy and smooth with my Iro blue inks. It really is an amazing writer on all surfaces with all inks.

According to some source, the FA nib is not officially available on 823 from Pilot. So if you want an FA nib on 823, you may either have to get it from another pen such as a 743, or find it from retailers who are willing to do a swap.

Soon after I got my 823 Fine I took brass shims to it. It is still one of my finest writers, but juicy and smooth with my Iro blue inks. It really is an amazing writer on all surfaces with all inks.

Did you use the brass shims because it was too dry out of the box? or do you just prefer very wet nibs? Thanks!

I have a F on my 823 and an Fa on my 743. I felt that the Fa nib was a lot of fun, but too flexible for daily type writing.

Could you elaborate a bit more on that? Did you find the FA too flexible even with light handed use?

Could you elaborate a bit more on that? Did you find the FA too flexible even with light handed use?

Apologies for butting in.

The 823 takes a Pilot #15 nib. I have a 912 which takes a #10. The #10 FA is reputed to be softer than the #15. I use my #10 FA as a daily writer, which exhibits very subtle line variation with a light hand. I purchased it for its softness, not flex.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Not trying to put words into Sidd's Waski's mouth, but I have a feeling about the my #15 FA (in a 743) nib that could fit those words. It depends on what you want from a "daily writer". Like Karmachanic, I purchased it for softness, not flex. My FA nib is a bit of a gusher (with the stock Pilot feed). When I use this pen I'm encouraged to write with a light hand and pay attention to what I'm doing. It's "practice".

"Daily writing" depends on the person: if that's in a journal, then it's fine for me. But as I said, it makes me practice using a light hand, so my mind is thinking just as much about how I'm writing as what I'm writing. If I want an uninterrupted flow of consciousness then the nib could be a distraction.

If I'm in a class taking notes, which is infrequent, then that "daily writing" is very different. I frequently describe this as "hammering out notes", and I do have a very heavy hand in that setting. For that, the FA nib would a horrible tool for the job.

Edited by XYZZY

Apologies for butting in.

The 823 takes a Pilot #15 nib. I have a 912 which takes a #10. The #10 FA is reputed to be softer than the #15. I use my #10 FA as a daily writer, which exhibits very subtle line variation with a light hand. I purchased it for its softness, not flex.

Thanks that's a good way to describe it. The softness does seem attractive and might be enjoyable to use.

Not trying to put words into Sidd's mouth, but I have a feeling about the my #15 FA (in a 743) nib that could fit those words. It depends on what you want from a "daily writer". Like Karmachanic, I purchased it for softness, not flex. My FA nib is a bit of a gusher (with the stock Pilot feed). When I use this pen I'm encouraged to write with a light hand and pay attention to what I'm doing. It's "practice".

"Daily writing" depends on the person: if that's in a journal, then it's fine for me. But as I said, it makes me practice using a light hand, so my mind is thinking just as much about how I'm writing as what I'm writing. If I want an uninterrupted flow of consciousness then the nib could be a distraction.

If I'm in a class taking notes, which is infrequent, then that "daily writing" is very different. I frequently describe this as "hammering out notes", and I do have a very heavy hand in that setting. For that, the FA nib would a horrible tool for the job.

I use pens for notes at work, during meetings and for planning/ scheduling. So not really 'hammering out notes' thankfully. Sounds like FA nib might just work for my purpose. Although my usual favourites for daily use are the Lamy 2000 EF, Pelikan EF nib, GvFC F nib - not really soft nibs.

With my daily writing, I like a pen that "disappears into my hand." I want to use a plain dark ink, I write rapidly, and I don't care about handwriting. I found the Fa nib too distracting. It is a good nib and a fun nib, but not for pages of writing.

It may be clearer if I tell you my preferred daily writers are pens like the Lamy 2000, a Kaweco v14s, the regular fine Pilot Custom 823, and even the Parker Sonnet.

I think a lot of it comes down to how we each do our daily writing. I think for some, the Fa nib is great. For me, not so much.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

My everyday (always with me) is a 743 an absolutely perfect nib for me, soft but not flexy.

I have the FA in a 912 and love it, but not for every day use in business.

Do you think pilot would make us a special US edition 823 with the FA if they got a big order?

Thanks, my daily pens are also Lamy 2000, Montblanc EF (various) and Pelikan M300. These 3 are relatively firm nibs are well, so I am assuming I'd prefer the F nib as well.

With my daily writing, I like a pen that "disappears into my hand." I want to use a plain dark ink, I write rapidly, and I don't care about handwriting. I found the Fa nib too distracting. It is a good nib and a fun nib, but not for pages of writing.

It may be clearer if I tell you my preferred daily writers are pens like the Lamy 2000, a Kaweco v14s, the regular fine Pilot Custom 823, and even the Parker Sonnet.

I think a lot of it comes down to how we each do our daily writing. I think for some, the Fa nib is great. For me, not so much.

I do hope they make the FA nib more widely available. Still having to import it here in UK or buying locally at 25-30% higher prices. Thanks for your feedback on the FA nib.

My everyday (always with me) is a 743 an absolutely perfect nib for me, soft but not flexy.

I have the FA in a 912 and love it, but not for every day use in business.

Do you think pilot would make us a special US edition 823 with the FA if they got a big order?

I did find a brick and mortar store in London that have a FA nib in stock and I can try it out in person. (when the lockdown is lifted). That should help me decide after trying the pen.

For others in London, the store is Choosing Keeping.