Royal Navy? Blue

sansenri

In times of forced confinement my mixing experiments proceed.

With the last Pelikan purchase (M101N Blue-grey) another 50 ml bottle of Royal blue came bundled in the box.

So I'm checking out another Royal mix...

This time I started with the aim to slightly darken Royal blue, but not to the extent of a blue black.

Some of my Edelstein mixes have worked quite well (in terms of ink compatibilities) and I was curious to see whether mixing an Edelstein with a 4001 would maintain the same compatibility (they are both Pelikan inks after all).

I used my by now standard method of two clean metered syringes to add Royal blue and the mixing ink to a small clean glass container.

The chosen mixing ink is Edelstein Tanzanite. This ink is a very dark blue, with a very slight tendency to purple. On paper it can look almost black.

The starting ratio was 5 parts Royal blue (2.5 ml) to 1 part Tanzanite (0,5 ml), the resulting 3 ml are about enough to fill 3 converters.

I had planned to try adding further amounts of Tanzanite but I found the resulting mix to be sufficiently dark (and if one of the scopes is using up Royal blue, saving Tanzanite is a good secondary result).

As always it's difficult to show colour comparisons on screen, nonetheless the comparison with the starting inks does give an indication.

Essentially the resulting colour is notably darker than Royal Blue, and has a slight purple red tone that reminds me of Navy blue (difficult to spot in the photo).

The paper shown here is a typical copy paper (Amazon Basics 80g which is made in France), I have a comparison on glossy paper which is quite different, perhaps will show in a next post.

The resulting ink is also crystal clear. i.e. no lumps or any other type of reaction, even after several days in the bottle, which make me claim the mix as very safe to use.

I am also expecting that the Tanzanite addition will limit the typical fading of Royal blue.

The behaviour of the ink is in every way comparable to Royal blue, very nice flow, and some shading especially on more glossy paper.

fpn_1587593165__img_4147-3_royal_navy_bl

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• LizEF

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

Top Posters In This Topic

Neat!

Thank you for posting!

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Nice! But we need to put a ban on creating new versions of this sort of color - my wallet can't take any more! ;)

Neat!

Thank you for posting!

Thank you, if you think it's mostly Royal blue the resulting colour is very satisfying.

Nice! But we need to put a ban on creating new versions of this sort of color - my wallet can't take any more! ;)

Well obviously for me my mix was totally free, I have a stock of Royal blue (from purchase of Pelikan pens) that can last me a lifetime...

but only one bottle of Tanzanite, and I'm only using half ml for this test...

If you do have Royal blue in excess, other mixes work, for example my mix with Diamine Sargasso sea is also quite nice, yields a more lively blue, without losing the ease of use characteristics of Royal blue (while Sargasso sea is fantastic but really saturated and tends to clog pens a bit).

Well obviously for me my mix was totally free, I have a stock of Royal blue (from purchase of Pelikan pens) that can last me a lifetime...

but only one bottle of Tanzanite, and I'm only using half ml for this test...

If you do have Royal blue in excess, other mixes work, for example my mix with Diamine Sargasso sea is also quite nice, yields a more lively blue, without losing the ease of use characteristics of Royal blue (while Sargasso sea is fantastic but really saturated and tends to clog pens a bit).

Perhaps I'll examine my over-large collection of samples (after doing ink reviews of them) and see if there are any colors I could improve. :D

(And I was just teasing.)

can be fun... I only get upset when inks are incompatible... I got a lovely purple when mixing Royal blue and Diamine Syrah but the result was totally unstable, kept producing clogs and sticking to the side of the glass vial...