Newbie Interested In Your Favorite Estie Colors

Anaxyrus

Hi, If you've seen my intro post you know I'm not new to fountain pens, but I only recently started looking seriously at vintage pieces. I've long been aware of the cool colors and patterns of Parker Vacs, Sheaffer Balance, etc., but only recently discovered the huge world of affordable vintage Esterbrooks. I particularly like the patterned colors available on so many of the J series, and will likely be getting my first one at some point in the near future. I'd love to see and hear about your favorite colors. Thanks in advance. --Dan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anaxyrus

• Misfit

• Estycollector

• corgicoupe

Hmmm. On vintage Esties? I'd say definitely the "mackerel" finish celluloid: Blue, followed by "Root Beer" (the darker brown) and "Copper" (the lighter brown). I'm sure a lot of people will wax nostalgic about the Icicles, but those do nothing for me. And frankly, I can't see myself being interested in the Pastels, either, with the possible exception of the Yellow (and when I look at the prices of the Pastels -- and the Nurses pens with the different color cap jewels -- I go, "I don't want one THAT bad...").

You do realize, of course, that Esties tend to multiply rapidly -- they're like potato chips, in that you can't have just one.... :lol:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hmmm. On vintage Esties? I'd say definitely the "mackerel" finish celluloid: Blue, followed by "Root Beer" (the darker brown) and "Copper" (the lighter brown). I'm sure a lot of people will wax nostalgic about the Icicles, but those do nothing for me. And frankly, I can't see myself being interested in the Pastels, either, with the possible exception of the Yellow (and when I look at the prices of the Pastels -- and the Nurses pens with the different color cap jewels -- I go, "I don't want one THAT bad...").

You do realize, of course, that Esties tend to multiply rapidly -- they're like potato chips, in that you can't have just one.... :lol:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thanks! I have the same feelings about the icicles, but I've only seen photos and not necessarily good ones. I saw a copper one on EBay and really liked it. And yeah, they look like trouble. ;)

Skunk

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Currently I have a full color set.

Red SJ 9450

Blue J transitional (round jewel) 1555 Gregg

Copper J 1551

Green J 9550

Gray J Venus fine

Black J 9550

Black LJ Bell Systems pen 2464

I also have another 1555 Gregg nib and a 9461 nib.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Currently I have a full color set.

Red SJ 9450

Blue J transitional (round jewel) 1555 Gregg

Copper J 1551

Green J 9550

Gray J Venus fine

Black J 9550

Black LJ Bell Systems pen 2464

I also have another 1555 Gregg nib and a 9461 nib.

Nice! Any pix?

I only own one Eastie (shame on me) but the colour is the one I wanted!

The ripples inside this finish are mesmerizing, I always wondered how they did these ripples inside the material...they look as though you could feel the texture (the copper ripple is also very nice).

fpn_1587208006__p1160642-3_easter_brook_

I only own one Eastie (shame on me) but the colour is the one I wanted!

The ripples inside this finish are mesmerizing, I always wondered how they did these ripples inside the material...they look as though you could feel the texture (the copper ripple is also very nice).

fpn_1587208006__p1160642-3_easter_brook_

I agree! That ripple effect is a HUGE part of what's attracted me to these. I was planning to look a little longer, but last night I pulled the trigger on a copper LJ.

These are my J-series Full House. I also have a black one.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1518268584__esterbrook_full_house_005s.jpg

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Uh oh, just pulled the trigger on a second J, and the first hasn't even arrived yet. Discovering these during a safer-at-home order could be dangerous.

Edited by Anaxyrus

fpn_1587285244__0756b90a-2981-4330-b4a7-

From left

LJ Bell System Property, SJ in Red, transitional J in Green, transitional J in Gray, J in Brown (maybe Copper Brown)

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

Uh oh, just pulled the trigger on a second J, and the first hasn't even arrived yet. Discovering these during a safer-at-home order could be dangerous.

Congratulations. :) This is the video I used to learn to replace a sac. His method of measuring the sac length needed is one I have used on other brands. J Bars replacement is easy and inexpensive, but you can also pull them out with long tweezers and clean them with a brass tooth type brush. I use Mother's for polishing plastic and metal parts.

Edited by Estycollector

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Congratulations. :) This is the video I used to learn to replace a sac. His method of measuring the sac length needed is one I have used on other brands. J Bars replacement is easy and inexpensive, but you can also pull them out with long tweezers and clean them with a brass tooth type brush. I use Mother's for polishing plastic and metal parts.

Thanks! So far the ones I've ordered have been restored already, but I found and watched that exact video as I was searching, just in case.

Thanks! So far the ones I've ordered have been restored already, but I found and watched that exact video as I was searching, just in case.

I've been able to get the one's I wanted for less than $20. The ones I see restored can go for twice that amount. There might be some start up with replaceable parts and tools, but over all, I think you will enjoy being able to restore and save money.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"