Properties Of Montblanc Ef Nibs

sebastel23

This topic started as a response to TheDutchGuy in Tom Kellie's thread about "Montblanc Meisterstück Le Petit Prince Special Edition 146 Petit Prince And Planet Ef".

However, I had the impression I should not disturb Tom's beautiful photography, and it might be worth a seperate discussion.

So, here it goes --

... an architect nib (which MB seems to do with its EF nibs): the tip of the nib seems to rise up and the contact area appears to be narrow on downstrokes and wider on sidestrokes. ...

I can report from a sample of one - using a chopin with EF nib for a while now -

It depends on how you write. when the angle between nib and paper is high (70-80°), the resulting line is rather uniform, and trully EF.

With lower angles, the stroke width differences come into play more clearly, at times wider than what a typical M sized nib produces.

The nib is also quite responsive to changes in pressure, and it very easily catches paper lint.

So far, I was not able to reduce variaton in my writing, leading to a script more looking like chicken trails than proper writing (where my penmanship is struggling anyway - but that's a different issue). on the other hand, with good control of your hand, the nib is capable of quite a range of expression.

Does this description help? Do other users of MB EF nibs have similar experiences?

Cheers,

sebastian

added image, even if it shows my shoddy writing

fpn_1587111288__145_ef_comb.jpg

Edited by sebastel23

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sebastel23

• TheDutchGuy

• pajaro

• jmccarty3

Thank you.

The variation is very, very obvious when I write with my vintage MB146 EF but it is not so easy to capture in photographs. Until recently, I was under the impression that MB only turned their EF’s into architects in the past, but a few weeks ago I learned here on FPN that they’re still doing it.

fpn_1585979836__8807ad5c-713c-46b1-9565-

The downstrokes of my pen are typical western EF, the sidestrokes about 2/3rd between M and B. But only if I really focus on my writing; when I go to fast or become sloppy, everything becomes M-to-B.

My old 146 is a great pen and its architect-EF is wonderfully smooth and expressive, but I consider it to be a specialty nib and would have preferred a true EF for everyday writing. I live at the EF/XF side of the tracks and rarely venture into the M or B areas, so I use this pen sparingly.

I have the same experience as TheDutchGuy with my 149 and its fine nib (which writes the same as your EF on the picture above).

Me too, I rarely venture beyond the F side of the track, and I was originally a bit disappointed by the horizontal strockes being too large for my taste. I was tempted to swap the pen (bought second hand) for an EF but I see plenty of pictures with EF nibs like F, and F nibs like M... So I keep the pen that is « nearly » ideal

It depends on when the nib was produced. The long-tined 149 EF ca. '65-'70 that I sold several years ago was a full flex, like some EF nibs ten years before. My latest 149 EF from '73 flexes its tines easily, while my ca. '75-'80 EF nib is less so.

My later EF 144, with metal section threads and screw-in converter catches paper lint often.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thank you.

The variation is very, very obvious when I write with my vintage MB146 EF but it is not so easy to capture in photographs. Until recently, I was under the impression that MB only turned their EF’s into architects in the past, but a few weeks ago I learned here on FPN that they’re still doing it.

fpn_1585979836__8807ad5c-713c-46b1-9565-

The downstrokes of my pen are typical western EF, the sidestrokes about 2/3rd between M and B. But only if I really focus on my writing; when I go to fast or become sloppy, everything becomes M-to-B.

My old 146 is a great pen and its architect-EF is wonderfully smooth and expressive, but I consider it to be a specialty nib and would have preferred a true EF for everyday writing. I live at the EF/XF side of the tracks and rarely venture into the M or B areas, so I use this pen sparingly.

If you should ever want to part with it, please let me know!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I think you know the japanese alternatives better than me. My guess would be, that a Sailor or Pilot fine should offer what you look for.

But, that 146 nib is a beauty. Not only I like the variation it gives, but also being uni colored ... maybe ebay one day yields one for me. ;-)

cheers,

sebastian

I think you know the japanese alternatives better than me. My guess would be, that a Sailor or Pilot fine should offer what you look for.

But, that 146 nib is a beauty. Not only I like the variation it gives, but also being uni colored ... maybe ebay one day yields one for me. ;-)

cheers,

sebastian

Yes, Japanese F and MF nibs generally work for me. But recently I found my ‘grail’ pen and it’s not Japanese.

I don’t use my 146 on a daily basis, but when I do (which is mostly for correspondence) I enjoy it very much.

But recently I found my ‘grail’ pen and it’s not Japanese.

Make me curious, hm?

A last remark from my side - I tried an MB F nib. The width I found very similar to my Sailor M nib, if not smoother. But probably too far on the broad side for your taste, considering you mention Japanese F and FM.

Me, after quite some time, found that I like them all, as long as the nib is able to "fly".

Thank you for taking the time to share this. I generally like wide nibs to write cursive with. But for printing, I actually prefer a finer nib. The exception, of course, is my MB BB nibs which is wonderful for any type of writing or printing. But, I have been considering an architect nib for some time for some of my mapping projects. For these, I generally use either a Micron pen or a calligraphy marker held sideways to get the thin lines vertically and the heavier lines horizontally.

As a result of your post, I am seriously considering an MB EF for that purpose.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

My MB 145 "EF" has proven to be bulldozer and has written on everything I could throw at it. My MB "M" nibs, not so much. All my MB "M" nibs seem to be more sensitive to smoother paper and hand oil. My MB 145 "EF" doesn't care about that; it just keeps writing!

I thought it would be exactly the opposite as the larger nibs do lay down a lot more ink. Must just be the luck of the draw.

Tommy

• 2 weeks later...

The nib is also quite responsive to changes in pressure, and it very easily catches paper lint.

Does this description help? Do other users of MB EF nibs have similar experiences?

Hi Sebastian,

Yes, I have had a very similar experience with my family 145.

Also, a related conversation is in this thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/348795-montblanc-ef-nibs/?fromsearch=1

My MB 145 "EF" has proven to be bulldozer and has written on everything I could throw at it. My MB "M" nibs, not so much. All my MB "M" nibs seem to be more sensitive to smoother paper and hand oil. My MB 145 "EF" doesn't care about that; it just keeps writing!

I thought it would be exactly the opposite as the larger nibs do lay down a lot more ink. Must just be the luck of the draw.

Tommy

Hello:

These nib shape is common in vintage EF models. Like an architect in modern pens. The stroke is personal and very expresive.

An example on a classical Noblesse model (second generation).

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1587719176__mb_noblesse_127mb46_232.jpg

Regards.

Hi Sebastian,

Yes, I have had a very similar experience with my family 145.

Also, a related conversation is in this thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/348795-montblanc-ef-nibs/?fromsearch=1

Thanks, especially for the links!

As a result of your post, I am seriously considering an MB EF for that purpose.

That's the risk here always ...

Dear Ether,

"normal" means, you hold the men from the right, not from under the line?

At least the line width in your handwritten note makes me think that.

And, what a nice note! Dekuji.

Lovely ink, too.

Cheers,

sebastian

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t use my 146 on a daily basis, but when I do (which is mostly for correspondence) I enjoy it very much.

I’m using it much more these days and am enjoying it a lot. The architect grind means that the writing angle needs to be constant and rotation of the pen is a no-no, so it’s best suited for home or office use. Not a nib for quick scribbles on the go, but when I’m sitting down at a table with this pen (inked with MB Royal Blue), some good paper and a cup of coffee... wow!