Where To Look To Track Down Rare Sailor Specialty Nibs?

seoulseeker

Hi all,

I'm looking for some tips for how to track down rare sailor specialty nibs.

I know the specialty nib series recently went back into production, but unfortunately I believe the nib I am chasing is not among those.

My dream nibs is:

* One of the old style specialty nibs (newer nibs have less decoration than standard nibs)

* A Cross Point, Cross Concord, or Cross Music nib

* With emperor tab

For reference, here is an example of the new style vs old style nibs. Old on top (more decorations) old on bottom (less decorations).

I would probably also go for a new style cross nib if I could find one with an emperor tab, but I can't seem to.

Article-Pg3-image.jpg

Unsure where to look for these pens though, so I appreciate any tips.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• seoulseeker

• The-Thinker

• mongrelnomad

• zaddick

They are not hard to find if you want to spend a lot of money. Are you looking for affordable nibs?

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

The old ones are so scared now that if you get any answer here, it’ll probably attract way more competitors than you want, as everyone is seeing it.

Probably an alternative is indeed the new plain ones. I know they don’t have the cross emperor, but they have a cross point and an emperor. So you can take the emperor tab and install it on the cross point? Not sure if you’d like to fiddle with them though. At least, you can still use the two individual pens on their own.

I know the new style ones look plainer, but if you don’t compare, I guess they are also beautiful in their own regard.

Edited by holdon

I thought about Yahoo auctions but I cant read japanese so unsure how to even begin searching

That's very likely true and something I didnt think of.

I could probably get away with buying a cross point and a separate pen with an emperor tab, and move things around a bit to end up with a cross point emperor.

Appreciate the suggestion

I have no experience doing what you're doing, so take this with a few grains of salt...

If it were me, I'd look for pen dealers who also sell used pens. I'd call, see if I can have a conversation with them re what I was interested in. I would expect that frequent customers might get better care, if for no other reason than you're more likely to be remembered when somebody walks in looking to see such a thing. I have no idea if those shops keep actual waiting lists, though

In the U.S., I recall nibs.com used to even list the special nibs on their product page before they were discontinued (before they were un-discontinued:-), and nibs.com also sells used pens. So they've probably sold a few, and maybe one might occasionally find it's way back to them. I'm sure there are others, I'm only using nibs.com as an example because I remember lusting over the Sailor nibs on his website.

I just googled and found that page, it's still drool-worthy: https://www.nibs.com/content/sailor-specialty-nibs

Edited by XYZZY

Appreciate the tip!

I've snooped around on those used pen sites. I saw for example a sailor king eagle was sold on chatterly for like 6k. Absolutely would have snapped it up if it saw it. So the potential is there. I've been checking daily

I have a contact that used to be a dealer. I'll see what he has left.

I may also have some pens that might work. If you are on Instagram, take a look at my feed or search #nagahara for some of my pics.

I have a cross point with emperor tab (from the old Nagahara days). Feel free to send me a message.

Appreciate the offer- I've sent you a message!

Is there a recent uptick in the interest in the old nibs? Had an unsolicited offer from another account for my King Eagle, then my Cross Concord Emperor and Concord, all in the last few weeks.

Too many pens; too little writing.

Some folks are new to the chase and pickings are slimmer than they used to be.

Some folks are new to the chase and pickings are slimmer than they used to be.

The agony of waiting for a king eagle to be produced again is devastating :(

The agony of waiting for a king eagle to be produced again is devastating :(

They might never do it again since Yukio Nagahara has retired in February this year.

Well it’s my dream to have a king eagle have been chasing it for years *(

Patience is the key, and prepare to pay a premium.

Or you may find substitutes. Try googling with the key word Stacked Nib. I’ve seen pictures of some with 5 layers, unfortunately never have the opportunity to try one.