Ranga Splendour - Striated Behemoth

TheVintagelife

Introduction:

Ranga recently held a group buy of this new model on FPN (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/351924-ranga-handmade-pens-introducing-splendour-model-in-striking-stripes-colours/). Deeming the designs and colour options attractive, I went in for a blue-pink model. I requested Ranga for a customized model which has the cap of the rounded variant and the body of the torpedo, which Mr. Kandan from Ranga was happy to accommodate (on this note, it is always a pleasure dealing with Mr. Kandan).

The pen arrived in due time (with the transport time being a bit longer than usual due to onset of nation-wide lockdown). It came in a typical Ranga pen case with an extra "oliver" brand basic plastic pen. the packaging was sans frill and practical, which I like. My thoughts on the pen itself are summarized below.

fpn_1585835193__rsplendour-5.jpg

Appearance & Design - This is a imposingly attractive looking pen that commands attention…the stripes are striking, as is the size. The blues and pink/purples really stand out. Design is classic and sans frill – just a rounded cap design with a sensible looking gold clip and a torpedo shaped barrel [as mentioned in the intro – this is a hybrid design – the off-the-shelf designs will have either rounded or torpedo (or flat with conical top) finish on both and bottom]. No finials, cap rings or any other ornamentation. The looks are of reserved elegance letting the acrylic pattern take centerstage. Maybe Ranga could try a variant with a thick cap ring – it may work. The #6 nib does seem proportionately small given the size of the pen.

fpn_1586999563__rsplendour-7.jpg

fpn_1586999623__rsplendour-8.jpg

fpn_1586999687__rsplendour-10.jpg

Construction & Quality It is well-finished to a soft sheen on the acrylic. The build quality is typical of the Ranga stable – sturdy and attentive to detail. There is no wobble when the cap is secured, which, as a new twist (pun completely intended) for Ranga (at least to my experience) takes only one turn to close or open. That’s awesome for something I intend to use always as a desk pen.

To nit-pick, do note that since this is a completely hand turned item, you may notice some turning marks when the pen is held to harsh light, like direct sunlight. To me, this adds to the charm of the pen and makes it feel more like a handmade item. Some may find this a minor irritant compared to industrial finishes.

fpn_1586999746__rsplendour-9.jpg

Weight & Dimensions This is positively a very-big pen. No seriously, its huge. Right now, it’s the biggest pen I own. However, strangely enough, I wrote through 5 pages of Ginsberg’s Howl just to test for fatigue and there was none. The uncapped weight however, is very manageable given the lack of metal in the barrel (other than the nib), weighing in at much less than an ounce. I do not think it would make any sense to even consider posting (though it is very possible and secure). The dimensions are below:

Length; weight (capped): 170 mm (6.7”); 37 gms (1.3 oz)

Length; weight (uncapped) : 153mm (6.1”) (measured from tip of nib); 23gms (0.8 oz)

Section length : 30mm (1.18”)

Section diameter: 13mm to 15mm (0.5 – 0.6 inch) [this information is from Ranga directly. The rest measured by me).

Some comparison pictures are below:

This is what it looks like next to the TWSBI 580 AL and the Pilot Justus - both quite large pens at around 145-150 mm (5.8-6"") posted.

fpn_1585834406__rsplendour-1.jpg

fpn_1585834509__rsplendour-2.jpg

Nib & Performance - It has a very well-tuned Bock nib (I opted for an M) that wrote well right out of the box, both in terms of smoothness (very smooth, with just enough grip on paper to control the handwriting) and flow (wet without being gushy). Only one of the several inks I tried till date - Krishna sea @ night – gave me some problems with hard starts [i badly wanted this ink to pair well since both the base and sheen colours match the pen . But may be this tiny issue will also sort out over time as these things often do]. The #6 nib does look proportionately small for the body – a number #8 would be nice; but the Bock #8s are only in gold (which I deemed too expensive) and Ti (colour whereof would not match the gold clip).

fpn_1585834882__rsplendour-4.jpg

Filling System & MaintenanceThis is a “3-in-1” filling system (C/CC which can be eye-dropped) which is common for Indian hand turned pens with German units. It comes included with a Schmidt international cartridge which means its easily replaceable down the road, and can be swapped for a whole bunch of cartridges. The body will hold almost 5ml of ink if eye-dropped, which is insane if that’s your thing (I like to keep at least 4-5 pens inked at a time, so prefer CC for the lower ink volume).

Cost & Value – I paid the equivalent of about $85 at current exchange rates on the group buy. For an oversized hand turned pen in premium resin with a bock, this was a great deal. Even with the normal (non-group buy) price, it would still be a very good deal.

Conclusion Once more Ranga hasn’t disappointed. The pen is a great addition to my collection, and is a good option for anyone who likes (a) large pens, ( B) thick sections © striated resin patterns and (d) understated classic designs.

Edited by TheVintagelife

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpkandan

• Jamerelbe

• amk

• WLSpec

Introduction:

Ranga recently held a group buy of this new model on FPN (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/351924-ranga-handmade-pens-introducing-splendour-model-in-striking-stripes-colours/). Deeming the designs and colour options attractive, I went in for a blue-pink model. I requested Ranga for a customized model which has the cap of the rounded variant and the body of the torpedo, which Mr. Kandan from Ranga was happy to accommodate (on this note, it is always a pleasure dealing with Mr. Kandan).

The pen arrived in due time (with the transport time being a bit longer than usual due to onset of nation-wide lockdown). It came in a typical Ranga pen case with an extra "oliver" brand basic plastic pen. the packaging was sans frill and practical, which I like. My thoughts on the pen itself are summarized below.

fpn_1585835193__rsplendour-5.jpg

Appearance & Design - This is a imposingly attractive looking pen that commands attention…the stripes are striking, as is the size. The blues and pink/purples really stand out. Design is classic and sans frill – just a rounded cap design with a sensible looking gold clip and a torpedo shaped barrel [as mentioned in the intro – this is a hybrid design – the off-the-shelf designs will have either rounded or torpedo (or flat with conical top) finish on both and bottom]. No finials, cap rings or any other ornamentation. The looks are of reserved elegance letting the acrylic pattern take centerstage. Maybe Ranga could try a variant with a thick cap ring – it may work. The #6 nib does seem proportionately small given the size of the pen.

fpn_1586999563__rsplendour-7.jpg

fpn_1586999623__rsplendour-8.jpg

fpn_1586999687__rsplendour-10.jpg

Construction & Quality It is well-finished to a soft sheen on the acrylic. The build quality is typical of the Ranga stable – sturdy and attentive to detail. There is no wobble when the cap is secured, which, as a new twist (pun completely intended) for Ranga (at least to my experience) takes only one turn to close or open. That’s awesome for something I intend to use always as a desk pen.

To nit-pick, do note that since this is a completely hand turned item, you may notice some turning marks when the pen is held to harsh light, like direct sunlight. To me, this adds to the charm of the pen and makes it feel more like a handmade item. Some may find this a minor irritant compared to industrial finishes.

fpn_1586999746__rsplendour-9.jpg

Weight & Dimensions This is positively a very-big pen. No seriously, its huge. Right now, it’s the biggest pen I own. However, strangely enough, I wrote through 5 pages of Ginsberg’s Howl just to test for fatigue and there was none. The uncapped weight however, is very manageable given the lack of metal in the barrel (other than the nib), weighing in at much less than an ounce. I do not think it would make any sense to even consider posting (though it is very possible and secure). The dimensions are below:

Length; weight (capped): 170 mm (6.7”); 37 gms (1.3 oz)

Length; weight (uncapped) : 153mm (6.1”) (measured from tip of nib); 23gms (0.8 oz)

Section length : 30mm (1.18”)

Section diameter: 13mm to 15mm (0.5 – 0.6 inch) [this information is from Ranga directly. The rest measured by me).

Some comparison pictures are below:

This is what it looks like next to the TWSBI 580 AL and the Pilot Justus - both quite large pens at around 145-150 mm (5.8-6"") posted.

fpn_1585834406__rsplendour-1.jpg

fpn_1585834509__rsplendour-2.jpg

Nib & Performance - It has a very well-tuned Bock nib (I opted for an M) that wrote well right out of the box, both in terms of smoothness (very smooth, with just enough grip on paper to control the handwriting) and flow (wet without being gushy). Only one of the several inks I tried till date - Krishna sea @ night – gave me some problems with hard starts [i badly wanted this ink to pair well since both the base and sheen colours match the pen . But may be this tiny issue will also sort out over time as these things often do]. The #6 nib does look proportionately small for the body – a number #8 would be nice; but the Bock #8s are only in gold (which I deemed too expensive) and Ti (colour whereof would not match the gold clip).

fpn_1585834882__rsplendour-4.jpg

Filling System & MaintenanceThis is a “3-in-1” filling system (C/CC which can be eye-dropped) which is common for Indian hand turned pens with German units. It comes included with a Schmidt international cartridge which means its easily replaceable down the road, and can be swapped for a whole bunch of cartridges. The body will hold almost 5ml of ink if eye-dropped, which is insane if that’s your thing (I like to keep at least 4-5 pens inked at a time, so prefer CC for the lower ink volume).

Cost & Value – I paid the equivalent of about $85 at current exchange rates on the group buy. For an oversized hand turned pen in premium resin with a bock, this was a great deal. Even with the normal (non-group buy) price, it would still be a very good deal.

Conclusion Once more Ranga hasn’t disappointed. The pen is a great addition to my collection, and is a good option for anyone who likes (a) large pens, ( B) thick sections © striated resin patterns and (d) understated classic designs.

Dear Thevintagelife Sir,

Big thanks for the detailed review with attention to every aspects. Pictures are awesome. Your customization choice was excellent . It was our pleasure dealing with you. Thanks for the opportunity.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Edited by mpkandan

Wow. What a fantastic looking pen. If I had known they would turn out like that I would have joined in the group buy!

Congrats to Ranga for creating a pen of real character and quality.

Thanks Mr.amk Sir. If you like, you can join now too:) We can ship once the shipping services are open

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

I'm jealous! That is a gorgeous pen, and as AMK said, I regret not participating in the group buy. Nice work Ranga, and nice review.

• 2 weeks later...

arghh! still waiting... still waiting... still waiting...

mine must have been quarantined...

I assume mine, too. I haven't heard a peep from My. Kandan. I hope he is doing OK,

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I assume mine, too. I haven't heard a peep from My. Kandan. I hope he is doing OK,

I received an email from Mr Kandan M.P. about 3 weeks ago, which among other things contained the following:

Note: India is in lock down till 30-April-20. If you have ordered pens from us an if you have not received it then

1. We might have shipped it and struck in Chennai Post office. India Post will forward it once the situation is restored
or
2. We would be shipping it once the Shipping services are operational here in India. Thanks for your understanding and Cooperation
I don't have any current orders with Ranga (would love to, but have other priorities right now!), so this is obviously a general mail-out.

Dear Sir,

Please reach me to my mail. I have sent the shipment info if it is already shipped.

Most of the packages have not moved out from Chennai Even if it is shipped

Lockdown is extended till 17-May-20 now. It would reach you with delay.

REgards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Dear Sir,

Please reach me to my mail. I have sent the shipment info if it is already shipped.

Most of the packages have not moved out from Chennai Even if it is shipped

Lockdown is extended till 17-May-20 now. It would reach you with delay.

REgards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

I too received an email, and when I checked the link I saw the package still in Chennai post office. And now we see the lockdown is extended till half may... well, since I would not have been able to go pick it up at our post office anyway, the problem is moot, I'd guess. Once the lockdowns are over, and things move again, we will see how chaotic it all becomes. Hopefully it won't be too crazy... And at least Ranga is OK.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi