Reputable Source Of Brown Safari

desertsquid

For years, Ive been hoping that Lamy would release a chocolate brown, textured Safari with a black clip. Today, I saw that just such a thing exists for the South Korean market (Line Friends?) So Im looking for a reputable place to buy one. By reputable, I mean a dealer who will sell me a genuine brown Safari made by Lamy and not a fake. If it has to come in a fancy box with cute animals, so be it. But all I really want is the fountain pen.

Ive seen them available on eBay but I dont know which sellers deal in genuine Safaris.

Can anyone suggest where to buy this pen, please?

Edited by desertsquid

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• desertsquid

• Black Spot

• Astronymus

• inkstainedruth

You can try to source one from South east Asia or from the Line Friends on line stores. I have seen them in the Line Friends stores in Taipei and Bangkok. Also I will suggest the Lamy stores in Singapore.With lockdowns all around I don't know if any of these stores reopen or doing on line sales.The small bears are cute and the pen colour is nice. Wish you luck in your search. :)

I got mine from a seller youngbirdkorea and would happily vouch for her.

this is one of her Buy It Now auctions, and is for two pens and not one. (Yes I was thinking of adding even more to my collection) But I have single items on BIN from her in the past.

Note for Mods: I have checked the rules and think I am in compliance, however if not please remove and let me know what I have done wrong.

Edited by bonnie-scott

• 2 weeks later...

hold on are you talking about the old brown pens with the black clip ? the ones that they made in the 1980 - 1990's?

Thanks for all the replies. I was referring to the modern brown Safari for the South Korean market. Much as I like the 1980s safaris (especially in terracotta/terrarot), the prices are super high. I’ll probably order the brown pen from youngbirdkorea (thank you for that suggestion, bonnie-scott.

I did not know about the Brown I thought you were talking about the umbra, that we called brown in school. I still have a few of them.

And yes they did make a shiny (smooth) Umbra for a while but no one liked it.

Ja. Indeed sat I have done. Not always as gut as I should have though.

If brown pens are your thing, have you considered the marron Lamy LX? It's a lovely color brown.

The LX pens write wonderfully, and it's not that much more expensive than a regular Al-Star or Safari.

Thank you, NumberSix. Yes, brown pens are definitely my thing, and I was not aware of the Lamy LX, so thank you for that. But I prefer the Safari because the section is also brown, whereas the LX has a semi-transparent grey section. If I'm going to do my Hausaufgabe with a brown pen, I'm going all the way, baby!

Having said that, I'm having a trouble pulling the trigger on what amounts to a $100 Safari. I love Safaris, but it's not a $100 pen, and at that price many other options open up.

I have the same problem as desertsquid, only in my case it's with the French Blue Safari with the red clip.... :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Having said that, I'm having a trouble pulling the trigger on what amounts to a $100 Safari. I love Safaris, but it's not a $100 pen, and at that price many other options open up.

Even for a limited edition this price is rediculous. Unless your last name is Benzos and $100 is a piece of toilet paper.

You do not get to be wealthy by using 100$ as toilet paper. The prosperous know exactly what something is worth.

With this amount of money it doesn't matter anymore. And some say it gets harder to spend it because the wealthier you are the more discounts and gifts you get. Silly world.

I have never had that problem. But if you like ships well you will have no trouble spending money.

You could always get that million dollar fountain pen form Aurora, or the Fulgor for eight million.

But I have always wanted one of those Spector hide outs and while I'm at it I would fill it with the worlds greatest works of art.

I will also need a white cat.

SYIQ_36183.jpg

Edited by Black Spot

If the yacht has dive mode, stealth and defense capabilities shut up and take my money. :angry:

:D

To be fair, for your $100 you also get a plastic bear, authentically brown. If only I valued plastic bears more highly, I could persuade myself that I was paying a fair price for a plastic bear with a brown Safari thrown in free of charge.

I have never had that problem. But if you like ships well you will have no trouble spending money.

You could always get that million dollar fountain pen form Aurora, or the Fulgor for eight million.

But I have always wanted one of those Spector hide outs and while I'm at it I would fill it with the worlds greatest works of art.

I will also need a white cat.

:lticaptd:

(I see what you did there.... ;))

This reminds me of an ad I heard on the radio years ago for, IIRC, some wealth management company. It said "If you hear this ad and currently have a million dollars in the bank, raise you're right hand. If you're currently ALSO driving down the road behind the wheel of a Maserati, raise your LEFT hand.... Oh, that was a trick question, BTW...." The presumption being that if you were going around driving Maseratis all the time, that $1,000,000 bank roll wasn't gonna last very long....

A number of years ago, when there was a big lottery jackpot (something like 600 million bucks) I stood in line for 20 minutes to buy a $2 ticket, because, why not. I then had to drive to Steubenville, OH to someone's house, to drop off tent poles left in a truck we'd rented a few weeks before. He and his housemate weren't home when I got there, and I was sitting on the porch steps going "Hmm. The odds of more than one winner is probably good with this many tickets sold. So, say I win a 1/3 of that...." and started mentally spending it (paying off the mortgage and both cars, replacing the barn, doing work on the house that it needs, maybe putting in a pool (nothing super large, maybe putting on an enclosed porch/greenhouse in the back off the kitchen, and getting one of those small ones with a current to swim against), new furniture, etc.) and my mental calculations came to about 200K.... And said "And THEN what?" Becuase I couldn't imagine buying some luxury "land yacht". Or a boat (we're not really boat people). Or any of the "toys" that people throwing money around generally tend to buy.... And of course SINCE that time we've paid off the mortgage and both cars.... And years before that, standing in another line to buy a lottery ticket for anothe big jackpot, I told the woman in line in front of me we'd pay off the mortgage (this was on our first house) and she said "Oh, you don't want to do THAT! You get tax write-offs on your mortgage payments if you do itemized deductions!" (I said, "yeah, we want to pay off the mortgage ANYWAY because I hate paying 20% extra for PMI...").

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ruth, when you eventually win the lottery, I think somewhere in the mix there will have to be a French Blue Safari with the red clip!